Theodoric II of Wied
He was a son of Dietrich I von Wied , his mother's name is unknown. Theodoric was first mentioned in a document in 1189. Theodoric worked as provost at St. Kunibert in Cologne from around 1196 to 1212 . In 1205 he also held this office at Rees and in 1210 was Grand Archdeacon of Trier and Provost of St. Paulin .
At the beginning of his tenure as archbishop, Theoderich was taken prisoner by Count Heinrich II. Von Nassau , because the archbishop had built Montabaur Castle to secure the holdings on the right bank of the Rhine , which was a thorn in the side of Nassauer. Despite the capture, the construction of the castle was finished and Theodoric was free again in 1214.
In 1220, work on the Liber annalium iurium was finished, an overview of the property rights and income of the Trier church.
Theodorich began building the Church of Our Lady in Trier around 1230 and inaugurated Limburg Cathedral in 1235 . He massively promoted the establishment of the Order of St. John and the Teutonic Order in Trier and Koblenz (see Deutschordenskommende Koblenz and Deutsches Eck ).
In terms of Reich politics, the Archbishop was firmly on the Staufer side in the Staufer-Welf throne dispute. This attitude led to opposition with the Archbishop of Cologne and Mainz, who were on the side of the Guelphs.
He is buried in Trier Cathedral .
- Ingrid Bodsch : castle and rule. On the territorial and castle policy of the Archbishops of Trier in the High Middle Ages up to the death of Dieter von Nassau († 1307) . Boldt, Boppard 1989, ISBN 3-7646-1894-9 (also dissertation, University of Bonn 1987)
- Karl Pellens : The Archbishop of Trier Dietrich II von Wied (1212-1242) . Dissertation, University of Freiburg im Uechtland, 1957
- Gottfried Kentenich : Theoderich II., Archbishop of Trier . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 54, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1908, p. 686 f.
- Richard Laufner: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 3, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1957, ISBN 3-428-00184-2 , p. 685 f. ( ). In:
- Martin Persch : Theodoric II of Wied, Archbishop of Trier. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 11, Bautz, Herzberg 1996, ISBN 3-88309-064-6 , Sp. 847-849.
- Richard Knipping in: Regest of the Archbishops of Cologne in the Middle Ages. 2nd volume. Bonn 1901. No. 1502
- Hellmuth Gensicke : Landesgeschichte des Westerwaldes . 3. Edition. Historical Commission for Nassau, Wiesbaden 1958/1999, p. 251; ISBN 3-922244-80-7
Elector Archbishop of Trier
|Arnold II of Isenburg|
|SURNAME||Theodoric II of Wied|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Dietrich von Wied|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Archbishop of Trier|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1170|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 28, 1242|