Wilfried Fiedler (Albanologist)
Wilfried Fiedler (born May 7, 1933 in Oberfrohna , Chemnitz district, † September 11, 2019 ) was a German albanologist and Balkanologist . He last lived in Berlin .
After graduating from the Geschwister-Scholl-Oberschule in Löbau ( Saxony ), Fiedler studied Slavic Studies and other East and Southeast European philologies at the Humboldt University in Berlin from 1951 to 1955 . From 1955 to 1963 he was a research assistant at the Institute for German Folklore of the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin (under Wolfgang Steinitz ). In 1957, the Academy, together with the Tirana State University and under the direction of Erich Stockmann, organized a folk song expedition to Albania , in which Fiedler took part. Since 1959, Fiedler worked as part of teaching assignments for Albanian language , Albanian literature and folklore at the Humboldt University of Berlin. In the same year he spent the period from March to June studying in Albania.
In 1961 Wilfried Fiedler received his doctorate in Balkanology from the Humboldt University. He then worked from 1963 to 1967 as a research assistant in the Linguistics Commission and from 1967 to 1968 at the Institute for Romance Languages and Culture of the German Academy of Sciences in Berlin. From 1968 to 1990 he worked at the Central Institute for Linguistics of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR, where he headed the Balkanology research group.
In 1988 Fiedler received his PhD in Albanian from the Humboldt University . habilitation. Three years later, on January 1, 1991, he accepted the call to the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich , where he held the professorship for Albanology until his retirement in 1998. From 1996 to 1998, Fiedler also held guest lectures on the history of Albanian language at the University of Vienna for several semesters . Since his retirement from 1999 to 2018, Fiedler has regularly given guest lectures on albanology as part of the subject of Southeast European Studies at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena .
On September 11, 2019, Bardhyl Demiraj reported his death in the Albanian media.
In April 1991 Wilfried Fiedler was elected External Member of the Kosova Academy of Sciences and Arts and in June 2006 Foreign Member of the Albanian Academy of Sciences .
The scientific work of Wilfried Fiedler was recognized by Monica Genesin and Joachim Matzinger: Albanological and Balkanological Studies. Festschrift for Wilfried Fiedler. Hamburg 2004, pp. VII – VIII (with Wilfried Fiedler's list of publications. Pp. XIII – XIX) and Francesco Altimari: Omaggio a Wilfried Fiedler. Hamburg, ISBN 3-8300-1590-9 , pp. XXI – XXII.
- Albanian folk music. Vol. 1. Chants of the Çamen . Berlin 1965 (with Doris and Erich Stockmann ).
- Dictionary Albanian-German. Leipzig 1977 (with Oda Buchholz and Gerda Uhlisch); Editions after 1990: Leipzig / Berlin / Munich / Vienna / Zurich / New York, ISBN 3-324-00250-8 .
- Albanian grammar. Leipzig 1987, ISBN 3-324-00025-4 (with Oda Buchholz).
- German-Albanian dictionary. Leipzig / Berlin / Munich / Vienna / Zurich / New York 1997, ISBN 3-324-00251-6 (with Ardian Klosi ).
- The Albanian verbal system in the language of Gjon Buzuku (1555). Prishtinë 2004, ISBN 9951-413-15-3 .
- The plural formation in Albanian. Prishtinë 2007, ISBN 978-9951-413-62-6 .
- Comparative grammar of the Balkan languages (morphosyntactic-typological comparison of Albanian with the other Balkan languages). Prishtinë 2018, ISBN 978-9951-615-88-4 .
- On the relationship between area linguistics and area typology ( using the example of the Balkan languages ). In: ZPSK 42. (1989), 3, pp. 306-323.
- Is Albanian, “according to type”, the decisive language of the entire Balkan region? In: Albanica 3-4. Winter 1992, Washington DC 1992, pp. 78-95.
- Introduction to Balkan Philology. In: Peter Rehder (Ed.): Introduction to the Slavic languages. 3rd, verb. u. exp. Edition Darmstadt 1998, pp. 347-364. 4th, looked through. 2003 edition, ISBN 3534136470 .
- Tense, Mode and Aspect in the Languages of Southeast Europe. In: Uwe Hinrichs, Uwe Büttner (Hrsg.): Handbuch der Südosteuropa-Linguistik. Wiesbaden 1999, ISBN 3-447-03939-6 , pp. 487-517.
- Albanian. In: Thorsten Roelcke (Ed.): Variation Typology. A language typological handbook of European languages in the past and present / Variation Typology. A Typological Handbook of European Languages Past and Present. Berlin, New York, de Gruyter, 2003. XV, ISBN 3-11-016083-8 , pp. 749-797.
- The Southeast European type of grammatical analytism - the “Balkan particle construction” in the verbal system. In: Uwe Hinrichs, Uwe Büttner (Hrsg.): The European languages on the way to the analytical language type. = Uwe Hinrichs (ed.): Eurolinguistic works. Volume 1, Wiesbaden 2004, ISBN 3-447-04785-2 , pp. 363-398.
- Literature by and about Wilfried Fiedler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Wilfried Fiedler: Introduction to Albanology (PDF file; 4.64 MB)
- Obituary by Bardhyl Demiraj
- ↑ Bardhyl Demiraj: Shuhet albanologu Wilfried Fiedler. In: Shqiptarja.com. September 11, 2019, accessed September 11, 2019 (Albanian).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German albanologist and Balkanologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 7, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oberfrohna , Chemnitz district|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 11, 2019|