The son of a senior civil servant spent the first years of his life in Munich. In 1932 the family went to Middle Franconia , where his father was transferred. In 1942 the family returned to Munich. At the age of sixteen he was a flak helper towards the end of the Second World War and was taken prisoner by the Americans , which he spent in one of the Rhine meadow camps . After returning from captivity, he first made up his Abitur and in 1947 began studying history, German and geography at the University of Munich .
Volkert received his doctorate in 1952 at the Philosophical Faculty with a thesis on the Bavarian Duke Stephan II and then joined the Bavarian state archives service. In 1957 he went to Amberg for three years . In the archive service he rose to the position of archive director. In 1962 he became a member of the Swabian Research Association . In 1978 he became professor for Bavarian regional history at the University of Regensburg and taught there until his retirement in 1994. He became a member of the commission for Bavarian regional history . His academic students included Dirk Götschmann , Johannes Laschinger and Wolfgang Schmidt .
His main research interests were the history of the Middle Ages, the regional history of southern Germany and especially Bavaria in the Middle Ages and modern times. Volkert gained greater prominence through the publication of the leading articles by Ludwig Thoma in the Miesbacher Anzeiger .
- History of Bavaria (= Beck'sche Reihe , 2602, CH Beck Wissen ). 4th, supplemented edition. Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-55159-8 .
- Nobility to guild. A lexicon of the Middle Ages. Beck, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-406-35499-8 .
- Chancellery and council in Bavaria under Duke Stephan II. 1331–1375. Phil. Diss. Munich 1952.
- The legal book of Emperor Ludwig of Bavaria from 1346 (= Bavarian legal sources. Vol. 4). Using the preliminary work by Walter Jaroschka and Heinz Lieberich. Beck, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-406-10659-0 .
- In the service of Bavarian history. 70 years of the Commission for Bavarian State History. 50 years of the Institute for Bavarian History (= series of publications on Bavarian regional history. Vol. 111). 2nd updated edition. Beck, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-406-10692-7 .
- Ludwig Thoma : All articles from the "Miesbacher Anzeiger" 1920/21. 2nd Edition. Piper, Munich et al. 1990, ISBN 3-492-03276-1 .
- Handbook of the Bavarian offices, municipalities and courts 1799–1980. Beck, Munich 1983, ISBN 3-406-09669-7 .
- Konrad Ackermann , Alois Schmid (Hrsg.): State and administration in Bavaria. Festschrift for Wilhelm Volkert on his 75th birthday (= series of publications on Bavarian regional history. Vol. 139). Beck, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-406-10720-6 .
- Dieter Albrecht , Dirk Götschmann (Ed.): Research on Bavarian history. Festschrift for Wilhelm Volkert on his 65th birthday. Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1993, ISBN 3-631-45090-7 .
- Literature by and about Wilhelm Volkert in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Wilhelm Volkert in the German Digital Library
- see death report in OVB home newspapers , August 21, 2020.
- Daniel Drascek: swirls around Ludwig Thoma. In: Literatur in Bayern , No. 17, September 1989, pp. 48-51 ( online ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 1, 2020|