coat of arms
|76.5 km 2
73.46 km 2
3.04 km 2
|Residents||13,996 (Sep 30, 2018)|
|Coordinates||51 ° 56 ' N , 5 ° 1' E|
|height||0 m NAP|
|Important traffic route|
|Postcodes||4126, 4128, 4231, 4233, 4235, 4243, 4245|
|Website||Homepage of Zederik|
Zederik ( municipality in the Netherlands , province of Utrecht . The community was created on January 1, 1986 by merging seven previously independent communities. The largest place and seat of the municipal administration was Meerkerk. The community had a total area of 76.5 km². Its population was 13,996 on September 30, 2018. On January 1, 2019, the municipality (previously part of the province of South Holland ) was merged with Leerdam in the province of South Holland and Vianen in the province of Utrecht to form the new municipality of Vijfheerenlanden and has since been part of the province of Utrecht.) was a
The community, which was named after a small river Zederik, is located on the south bank of the Leks . It is located on the A27 Utrecht - Breda motorway (exit 25 to Meerkerk), about 25 km south of Utrecht. Rail travelers have to travel by bus from Utrecht Central Station. Agriculture and horticulture are the main source of income for the population. There is also some tourism and some small businesses in Meerkerk.
Places and their history
In the 11th century Jan van Arkel was a powerful lord in this region. He is the progenitor of a knight family that had a lot of influence until the 15th century. It is believed that Leerbroek and Nieuwland were donated by him (around 1025).
Almost all places in Zederik have a village church from the late Middle Ages.
The places in the municipality are:
- Ameide : The place was a city from 1277–1527. The town hall (1644) is the center of the picturesque town center. A horse market has been held annually since the 17th century.
- Hei- en Boeicop : village with a historic windmill and a church from the 15th century.
- Leerbroek : village founded 1020–1025 by Jan van Arkel.
- Lexmond : In the village there is an international artificial insemination station for cattle.
- Meerkerk is located near the motorway and is the seat of the local government. From here you can cycle along an old river to Ameide.
- Nieuwland : village with a marina and an 11th century church.
- Tienhoven : village near Ameide.
On January 1, 2019, Zederik merged with Leerdam ( Zuid-Holland ) and Vianen ( Utrecht ) to form the new municipality of Vijfheerenlanden . This resulted in a decision of November 10, 2015. Since the municipalities of Leerdam and Zederik were in the province of South Holland and Vianen was in the province of Utrecht, it had to be decided which province the new municipality should belong to. The majority voted for the province of Utrecht.
Distribution of seats in the municipal council
The local elections on March 19, 2014 resulted in the following distribution of seats:
|Vrije Kiesvereniging Community affairs||2||2||2||3|
Due to the merger on January 1, 2019, the elections for the council of the new municipality of Vijfheerenlanden took place on November 21, 2018.
André Bonthuis ( PvdA ) was the acting mayor of the municipality from October 17, 2016 until the municipality was dissolved . His colleagues included the alderman Maks van Middelkoop ( CDA ), Arie Donker ( SGP ), Herman van Santen ( VVD ) as well as the community secretary Nanette van Ameijde and his deputy Joop Koetsenruijter .
- Website of the municipality (Dutch)
- ↑ Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand . In: StatLine . Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek , accessed January 1, 2019 (Dutch)
- ↑ Het fusietraject In: vijfheerenlanden.nl , accessed on June 12, 2018 (Dutch)
- ↑ Fusiegemeente Vijfheerenlanden in the province of Utrecht. In: AD . De Persgroep Nederland , October 6, 2017, accessed June 12, 2018 (Dutch).
- ↑ Result of the local elections: 2010 2014 , accessed on June 12, 2018 (Dutch)
- ↑ Allocation of seats in the municipal council: 2002 2006 2010 2014 , accessed on June 12, 2018 (Dutch)
- ↑ Herindelingen Kiesraad , accessed on June 12, 2018 (Dutch)
- ^ College Gemeente Zederik, accessed June 12, 2018 (Dutch)