Albert Baur (painter, 1835)
Coming from a banking family, Baur began studying medicine in Bonn at the request of his parents, which he broke off in 1854 to go to the Düsseldorf Art Academy . He studied painting privately with Wilhelm Sohn in 1854 , later with Joseph Kehren and at the academy from 1855 to 1857 with Christian Köhler and Heinrich Mücke . In 1860 he moved to Munich for two years to study with Moritz von Schwind .
After study trips through Europe, Baur returned to Düsseldorf in 1874 and, inspired by his friend and artist colleague Heinrich Ludwig Philippi , developed into history painting. One of his first large format pictures was the transfer of Otto III's corpse. across the Alps to Germany in 1864, he won first prize in a competition for decorating the jury court room in Elberfeld, where he painted the Last Judgment in matt oil paints. This work came about through his friend Heinrich Ludwig Philippi , whose father Johann Friedrich Hector Philippi was president of the regional court in Elberfeld. In 1872 he went to the art school in Weimar as a professor , and in 1876 again to Düsseldorf, where he stayed until his death. He was particularly valued as a painter of large-format history paintings . For the wing of the New City Hall of Düsseldorf at that time, he painted the four niche pictures of art care , industry , thirst for knowledge , love of the country and the large mural Takeover of Düsseldorf by the Brandenburgers .
In September 1863 Albert Baur married Marie, a native of Urdenbach , born in Glehn , born Beuth (born September 19, 1841 in Haus End (t); † September 15, 1917 in Düsseldorf). They had four children. Anna Maria Baur (1864–?), Mathilde Baur (1865–1911), who married the lawyer Gustav Talbot (1859–1921) in 1886, the painter Albert Baur (1867–1959) and Maria Hubertine Baur (1870–?).
The grave of Professor Albert Baur, Marie Baur geb. Beuth and painter Albert Baur is at the North Cemetery in Düsseldorf .
- Paul preaches to the Jews in Rome
- The martyr
- Sealing of the grave of Christ (Munich exhibition 1879)
- Christian Martyrs (1870) ( Museum Kunstpalast , Düsseldorf)
- Otto I. on the corpse of his brother Thankmar (municipal gallery in Barmen )
- The Martyr's Daughter (1886)
- Impluvium (pond in the atrium)
- Pompeii interior with two women and child (1873)
- Amazon Hunt (1876)
- Young poet (1880)
- Liudger preaches the gospel on the banks of the Ems (1901, Städtisches Gymnasium Dionysianum, Rheine)
- Albrecht Dürer in Venice , Mask Festival in the Tonhalle, March 2, 1889, [program]. Bagel, Düsseldorf 1889 ( digitized version )
Digitized editions of the University and State Library Düsseldorf :
- In: Friedrich Bodenstedt (ed.): Album of German art and poetry. With woodcuts based on the artist's original drawings, made by R. Brend'amour. Grote, Berlin 1867 ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-184 ).
- In: Gustav Wendt: Ballad wreath: collected from German poets. Grote, Berlin 1866 ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-1665 ).
- In: Alfred Rethel : cycle of pictures from the life of Charlemagne. Fresco paintings in the coronation hall in Aachen. Drawn from the original wall paintings by Albert Baur and Joseph Kehren . Grumbach, Leipzig, 1870 ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-940 ).
- In: Düsseldorf picture portfolio: original drawings. - Berlin: Grote, 1866. ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-1138 ).
- In: Endrulat, Bernhard: An imperial festival in the "Malkasten" in Düsseldorf: and 11 original woodcut drawings. Voss, Düsseldorf 1878. ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-164 ).
- In: Bund, Ludwig (ed.). Lieder der Heimath: A collection of the most exquisite poems in the picture decorations of German art. Breidenbach, Düsseldorf 1868. ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-1174 ).
- In: Diethoff, E .: Vom Rhein. Pictures and stories from old and new times. Payne, Leipzig 1871. ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-1197 ).
- Inauguration party . ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-35002 ).
- Celebration in honor of the board of directors from the years 1864, 1865, 1866. ( urn : nbn: de: hbz: 061: 2-35017 ).
- Friedrich Schaarschmidt : On the history of Düsseldorf art, especially in the XIX. Century. Art Association for the Rhineland and Westphalia, Düsseldorf 1902, pp. 242, 272, 277, 388, 319 ff., 333, 334 ( digitized version ).
- Hermann Board : Baur, Albert . In: Ulrich Thieme , Felix Becker (Hrsg.): General Lexicon of Fine Artists from Antiquity to the Present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker. tape 3 : Bassano – Bickham . Wilhelm Engelmann, Leipzig 1909, p. 87 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Ludger Meier: The Odyssey of a History Picture. In: News bulletin of the Association of Old Dionysians. 66, 2004, pp. 8-20 (Baur's history painting in the Dionysianum high school in Rheine).
- Our pictures. In: Rhine and Düssel. Illustrated Sunday supplement to the Düsseldorfer Neuesten Nachrichten, No. 1, of January 7, 1906, p. 8.
- Family book Euregio: Albert Baur
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 7, 1835|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Aachen|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 7, 1906|
|Place of death||Dusseldorf|