Albert Bitzius (son)
Albert Bitzius was the only son of Albert Bitzius, the eponymous writer and theologian known under the pseudonym Jeremias Gotthelf , and his wife Henriette Bitzius-Zeender . The older of his two sisters became known as a writer under the pseudonym Marie Walden .
He studied in Lausanne , Bern and Berlin theology . He was a member of the Zofingia and in the years 1857–58 its Central President. From 1858 he was vicar in Utzenstorf and Thunstetten , from 1863 pastor in Courtelary . In 1867 he became pastor in Twann on Lake Biel , and in 1874 Synodal Councilor of the Reformed Bernese regional church . The Bern church historian Kurt Guggisberg , who wrote a biography of him, called him one of "the most important preachers of modern times". The sermons, printed in seven volumes after his death, reached a circulation of more than 27,000 copies.
In terms of party politics, Bitzius became a member of the Bernese radicals and a supporter of Jakob Stämpfli , with which he positioned himself significantly differently from his father. From 1878 he was a member of the Bern Government Council (education and prison system) for four years and in 1879 he was elected to the Council of States .
In terms of church politics, Bitzius was the head of the liberal “reformers”, and in terms of state politics he was an exposed opponent of the death penalty . He played a key role in drafting factory legislation and a new school law.
- Sermons , 7 volumes, 1883–1903
- The death penalty from the standpoint of religion, etc. of theological science , 1870
- To improve our criminal justice system , 1877
- Unknown: Bitzius, Albert . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 47, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1903, p. 5 f.
- Kurt Guggisberg: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 282 ( ). In:
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz : Albert Bitzius (son). In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 1, Bautz, Hamm 1975. 2nd, unchanged edition Hamm 1990, ISBN 3-88309-013-1 , Sp. 606-607.
- Peter Stettler: Bitzius, Albert. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Publications by and about Albert Bitzius (1835-1882) in the Helveticat catalog of the Swiss National Library
- Literature by and about Albert Bitzius in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss reformed theologian and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 6, 1835|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lützelflüh|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 20, 1882|
|Place of death||Bern|