Youth and education
Alme Hollaender came from a musical family; her father Isaac Hollaender was a music teacher, the mother a pianist. Her brother was the pianist Alexis Hollaender . Her cousins, the musicians Victor , Gustav and the writer Felix Hollaender lived in Leobschütz . At the age of ten she attended Mr. Louis Wandelt's music school in Breslau and then continued studying music in Berlin. In the years 1862–1867 she studied with Theodor Kullak and appeared in 1868 in the Gewandhaus (Leipzig) .
From 1868 she was on tour as a pianist in several major German cities and in 1870 she gave concerts in London. In 1871 she traveled to England again and married Prof. Ernst Haas in London in 1872. Alma Haas appeared regularly in the London concert series as a soloist and chamber musician and was considered an excellent interpreter of the works of Ludwig van Beethoven and Robert Schumann . In the years 1876–1886 she worked in London as a music teacher at Bedford College, London University . She then took over the management of the music department at King's College London in 1886 and worked briefly at the Royal College of Music in 1887 .
- Ludwig van Beethoven :
Johannes Brahms :
- Piano quintet in F minor, op.34.
- Variations in D major, op.21.1.
César Franck :
- Piano quintet in F minor.
Franz Liszt :
- Hungarian Rhapsody in C sharp minor.
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy :
Franz Schubert :
- Variations in B flat major.
Robert Schumann :
- At the fountain, op. 85.9, on two hands.
- Scenes from children , op.15.
- Haas, Alma, b. Dutchman, musician . In: Walther Killy , Rudolf Vierhaus (Hrsg.): Deutsche Biographische Enzyklopädie (DBE) . 1st edition. tape 4 : Gies – Hessel . KG Saur, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-598-23164-4 , p. 285 .
- Music and gender on the Internet MUGI. ( mugi.hfmt-hamburg.de ).
- Grande Musica (English: grandemusica.net ).
- Concert Programs (English: concertprogrammes.org.uk ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hollaender, Alme|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Pianist, music teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 31, 1847|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ratibor , Upper Silesia|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 12, 1932|
|Place of death||London|