August Trinius (born July 31, 1851 in Schkeuditz , † April 2, 1919 in Waltershausen ) was a German writer . He was also known as a traveling writer. His greatest merit was that he triggered the Rennsteig boom of the Kaiser Wilhelm era with his book Der Rennstieg des Thüringer Waldes from 1890 onwards .
Heinrich August Trinius was the illegitimate son of Sidonie Alwine Trinius and moved with his mother and sister to Erfurt , where he grew up. Here he discovered his special love for Thuringia . After completing his school education, he completed an apprenticeship as a businessman . Following this, Trinius took a position as an accountant in Berlin . On the side he started to write and his first publications were published.
When the first journalistic successes emerged, Trinius devoted himself entirely to writing. He regularly wrote articles for Berlin newspapers on the subject of Berlin and Mark Brandenburg . His first work was therefore also called Märkische Streifzüge . Soon Trinius undertook long journeys and hikes across Germany. He came back to Thuringia. He was so captivated by its landscape and history that he decided to move to Thuringia in the 1880s. He settled in Waltershausen in 1890 and lived there until the end of his life. This is where the text for the Rennsteig song was written (not to be confused with the Rennsteig song by Karl Müller ). During Trinius' stay in Waltershausen, his long-standing friendship with the local painter Friedrich Holbein began .
In the period that followed, more than 30 works were created about the Thuringian Forest , especially the Rennsteig and other natural beauties of Thuringia. In the period from 1886 to 1902, the Thuringian Wandering Man series was published in 8 volumes, which was primarily devoted to the Rennsteig and was intended to arouse the desire to travel to Thuringia among the educated bourgeoisie in the 1890s. Other titles by Trinius about his Thuringian adopted home were: "With lute and backpack", "Forays through the Thuringian countryside", "In the magic of the Wartburg", "Under the spell of home", "Happy hiking trips", "Through the Saale valley", "Through Unstruttal ”,“ Through the Werra valley ”. In addition, he also wrote about other German landscapes, such as the Vosges , the city of Hamburg , the area around the Rhine and Moselle .
The phrase “Thuringia - the green heart of Germany” also comes from Trinius.
August Trinius died in Waltershausen in 1919, where his grave can still be found in the cemetery. The grave monument dates from 1921 and was unveiled on the occasion of the establishment of the "Federation of Thuringian Mountain, Castle and Forest Communities". This association was re-established in 2001 with a ceremony at the grave of Trinius on the occasion of his 150th birthday.
- Duke Ernst II of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha awarded Trinius the title of court counselor for his services .
- A Trinius spring, a Trinius hut, a Trinius rest, a Triniusbaude and a Trinius stone in the Thuringian Forest remind of Trinius, as well as in Waltershausen a Trinius path with a Trinius bench, a street in the city center and a plaque in front of his former residential building.
- Through the Moselle valley. A traveling book , JCC Bruns Verlag, Minden i. W. 1897
- From the green beach of the Spree. Berlin sketchbook , JCC Bruns Verlag, Minden i. W. 1885 ( digitized version )
- Goethe sites and other memories from Thuringia . Simion, Berlin 1904 ( digitized version )
- Märkische forays: north of Berlin - on the Oberspree - Havellandschaften - across the Fläming. 1st volume. 1st edition Verlag von Schmidt & Sternaux, Berlin 1884, 2nd edition JCC Bruns' Verlag, Minden i. W., 1887 ( digitized version )
- Märkische Streifzüge, new episode: East of Berlin - In the country Lebus - Spree landscapes - On the Nuthe - Havel landscapes. Verlag von Schmidt & Sternaux, Berlin 1885, 2nd, increased and improved edition JCC Bruns' Verlag, Minden i. W., 1887
- Märkische Streifzüge, Volume Three: Spree Landscapes - Between Spree and Havel. JCC Bruns' publishing house, Minden i. W., 1887 ( digitized version )
- History of the Wars of Unification 1864, 1866, 1870/71, Part One: History of the War against Denmark in 1864. G. Hempel Verlagbuchhandlung, Berlin 1885 ( digital copy )
- History of the war against Austria and the Main Campaign in 1866. Ferd. Dümmlers Verlagbuchhandlung, Berlin ( digitized version )
- History of the war against France 1870/71. Ferd. Dümmlers Verlagbuchhandlung, Berlin ( digitized - Internet Archive )
- Literature by and about August Trinius in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about August Trinius in the German Digital Library
- Works by August Trinius in the Gutenberg-DE project
- August Trinius in the Internet Archive
- Trinius, August in the German biography
- Calliope network : Trinius, August (1851–1919)
- Rennsteig father August Trinius
- Literature by and about August Trinius in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Climb up to the mountain range (Rennsteig song) | Folk songs archive (10,000 songs). Retrieved October 20, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German traveling writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 31, 1851|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Schkeuditz|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 2, 1919|
|Place of death||Waltershausen|