Brandenburg bishop's charter 1216
A document from Bishop Siegfried II of Brandenburg for the Brandenburg Cathedral Chapter of December 28, 1216 confirmed its rights and possessions. A slightly modified version of this document is contained in a papal document from 1233. In both, some places in the Mark Brandenburg are mentioned for the first time.
- Original document, dated December 28, 1216 (based on the nativity style from quinto Kalendas Ianuarii 1217), issued in Brandenburg, in the Brandenburg Cathedral Archives, U 26
- Slightly modified version contained in the document of Pope Gregory IX. dated December 14, 1233 in the Lateran for the provost of Brandenburg, in the Brandenburg Cathedral Archives, U 35, the text version contained therein for allegedly 1216 also registered as U 27
In the original document, Bishop Siegfried II confirmed the cathedral chapter's rights and possessions. The boundaries of the archdeaconates with some associated castles and boundaries were listed.
In a confirmation document from Pope Gregory for the cathedral chapter, this document from 1216 is repeated almost verbatim, but with some additions and changes.
The confirmed rights included a separate jurisdiction and the right to elect a bishop, for the first time without the chapter of the Leitzkau Monastery (which in reality could not be enforced at that time).
Furthermore, the secular possessions, which are named by name, are confirmed to the cathedral chapter. These lists describe the complete possession of the cathedral monastery.
For this purpose, the boundaries of the archdeaconates are given as spiritual administrative units, with the naming of individual border castles. These provide an overview of the areas of influence of the diocese and thus presumably also the margraviate of Brandenburg. Both end in the east at the upper Havel and the Nuthe , which shows that the neighboring areas Barnim , Teltow and Uckermark were outside the control area at that time. The Oder is mentioned again for the first time as the actually claimed diocese border, but also the reference that it is currently not accessible.
Were mentioned for the first time
Version from 1233
Original document from 1216
- Adolph Friedrich Riedel : Codex diplomaticus Brandenburgensis . First main part or collection of documents on the history of the spiritual foundations, the noble families, as well as the towns and castles of the Mark Brandenburg. VIII. Volume. (CDB A VIII). Berlin 1847. pp. 132–137 Text of the original document with all passages that differ from the later version.
Deed of 1233
- Carl Rodenberg : Epistolae saeculi XIII e regestis pontificum Romanorum selectae , Vol. 1, Berlin 1883, pp. 460-464 No. 537 (MGH Epp. Saec. XIII).
- Lutz Partenheimer : Bishop Siegfried II of Brandenburg (end of 1216–1220 / 21) confirms the Brandenburg cathedral chapter's rights and possessions, December 28, 1216 . In: Announcements of the Uckermärkisches Geschichtsverein zu Prenzlau 20/2013. Pp. 14–37, here pp. 15–28, with explanations.
- Wolfgang Schößler: Regest of the documents and records in the cathedral monastery archive Brandenburg, part 1: 948–1487 , Berliner Wissenschafts-Verlag, Berlin 1998, ISBN 3-8305-0189-7 . Pp. 28-33 . Detailed regestations of both versions
- Lutz Partenheimer: Bishop Siegfried II of Brandenburg (end of 1216–1220 / 21) confirms the Brandenburg cathedral chapter's rights and possessions, December 28, 1216 . In: Announcements of the Uckermärkisches Geschichtsverein zu Prenzlau 20/2013. Pp. 14–37,
- Cathedral chapter U (26) Cathedral monastery archive Brandenburg
- on the documents also Christina Meckelnborg : Tractatus de urbe Brandenburg. The oldest evidence of Brandenburg history. Text analysis and edition. (= Writings of the State Historical Association for the Mark Brandenburg, New Series Vol. 7). Lukas Verlag Berlin 2015. ISBN 978-3-86732-215-7 . P. 89 A. 454
- P. 9341; Edited from the Gregors register by Carl Rodenberg : Epistolae saeculi XIII e regestis pontificum Romanorum selectae , vol. 1, Berlin 1883, pp. 460–464 no. 537 (MGH Epp. saec. XIII).
- Cathedral chapter U (27) Cathedral monastery archive Brandenburg