|description||Art and literature magazine|
|language||French , since 2012 also English|
|publishing company||Éditions Cahiers d'Art SARL, Paris|
|Frequency of publication||irregular|
|editor||Christian Zervos , Staffan Ahrenberg (from 2012)|
Cahiers d'Art is a French art and literary magazine founded in 1926 by Christian Zervos . He published it until 1960. The publisher under this name, Éditions Cahiers d'Art, brought out many publications on modern artists living in France in the first half of the 20th century, including the catalog raisonné of Pablo Picasso , Pablo Picasso par Christian Zervos , in 33 volumes 16,000 illustrations. The name Cahiers d'Art also stands for an attached gallery.
The Swedish film producer and art collector Staffan Ahrenberg , son of Theodor Ahrenberg , has been publishing the magazine in the same location since October 2012 and a new edition of Picasso's catalog raisonné from February 2014.
Cahiers d'Art 1926 to 1960
The art and literary magazine Cahiers d'Art , founded by the art critic Christian Zervos in 1926 in Paris, 14 rue du Dragon, was published between 1941 and 1943, with an interruption due to the war, until 1960. From 1926 to 1931, like Zervos, Tériade , who also came from Greece, was artistic director and wrote art reviews, and the German art historian Will Grohmann was recruited as an author from 1928.
The first edition of the magazine after the Second World War was dated 1940-1944 and had as a focus poets and writers of the French Resistance such as Vercors . The French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan wrote the article on logic for Cahiers d'Art in 1945 : The logical time and the assertion of anticipated certainty - A new sophism.
Artists shown included Pablo Picasso , Fernand Léger , Max Ernst , Raoul Dufy , Marc Chagall , Constantin Brâncuși , Vincent van Gogh , Paul Klee , Henry Laurens , László Moholy-Nagy , Willi Baumeister , Joan Miró , Alexander Calder , Victor Brauner , Giorgio de Chirico , Wolfgang Paalen , Marcel Duchamp and Man Ray . Between 1932 and 1970 Christian and Yvonne Zervos organized between two and five exhibitions a year in the attached gallery. By 1960, Zervos had published 97 editions of the magazine and more than 50 books, including monographs on El Greco , Henri Matisse , Man Ray, and art from Africa and Mesopotamia.
The magazine Cahiers d'Art connected modern and ancient art in a dialogue with its unusual design , typography and rich illustration. In addition to art criticism , she placed great emphasis on texts by writers and poets such as Tristan Tzara , Paul Éluard , René Char , Ernest Hemingway and Samuel Beckett .
Collection and archive
The Bibliothèque Kandinsky of the Paris art and cultural center Center Pompidou has a rich archive on Cahiers d'Art , which includes photographs, documents and reproductions of works. It formed the basis for the 2011 book Zervos et Cahiers d'Art by Christian Derouet.
The Swedish art collector Staffan Ahrenberg acquired the rights to the magazine in 2011 and started the relaunch together with Sam Keller , Director of the Fondation Beyeler , and Hans-Ulrich Obrist in October 2012. The first edition featured works by Ellsworth Kelly , Cyprien Gaillard , Sarah Morris and Adrián Villar Rojas and the architecture by Oscar Niemeyer . The magazine appears in French with 2000 and for the first time in English with 8000 copies as irregular as before. In addition to the publishing house, the bookstore and gallery were also taken over.
Zervos' work on Picasso's catalog raisonné began in 1932 and continued in Paris until his death in 1970. At that time, the directory consisted of 22 volumes and was supplemented by 11 volumes by his colleague Mila Gagarine after his death until 1978. The catalog raisonné des œuvres de Pablo Picasso called “Le Zervos” is still the standard work - although still unfinished - on the works of Picasso.
An edited new edition of the 33 volumes as a collector's edition with more than 6000 pages, which was also translated into English, was published by Cahiers d'Art in February 2014 with the permission of the estate administrator Claude Picasso . The 16,000 or so illustrations were reproduced in black and white, this corresponds to Pablo Picasso's request, which was implemented in the first edition.
- Christian Derouet: Zervos et Cahiers d'Art , Center Pompidou, Paris 2011, ISBN 978-2-84426-483-1 .
- Christian Derouet (Ed.): Cahiers d'Art. Musée Zervos à Vézelay . Hazan, Paris 2005, ISBN 978-2-7541-0053-3 .
- Index général de la revue Cahiers d'art, 1926–1960 , foreword by Dora Vallier, Paris, Ed. Cahiers d'art, 1981.
- Chara Kolokytha: The Art Press and Visual Culture in Paris during the Great Depression: Cahiers d'Art, Minotaure and Verve , in: Visual Resources. An International Journal of Documentation 3, vol. 29, Sept. 2013, pp. 184-215.
- Chara Kolokytha: Christian Zervos et Cahiers d'art, Archives de la Bibliothèque Kandinsky , in: Konsthistorisk tidskrift / Journal of Art History 4, vol. 82, 2013, pp. 339-342.
- Kim Grant: Cahiers d'Art and the Evolution of Modernist Painting , in: The Journal of Modern Periodical Studies , v. 1, n. 2, 2010, pp. 216-227.
- Valery Dupont: Le discours anthropologique dans l'art des années 1920–1930 en France, à travers l'exemple des Cahiers d'art , thèse, 1999, Art et Archeology, Université de Dijon.
- L'art, Christian Zervos et ses "Cahiers" in: Librairie Abraxas-Libris, May 16, 2011 (French)
- Burkhart Maus: Cahiers d'Art nouveau et a partir d'aujourdhui in: art - Das Kunstmagazin , October 19, 2012
- George Stolz: The $ 20,000 Picasso Catalog the Art World Was Waiting For in: artnews, March 6, 2014 (English)
- Elsworth Kelly . In: Cahiers D'Art . 1, No. 1, October 2012.
- Valérie Duponchelle: Staffan Ahrenberg, l'art fait son cinéma . In Le Figaro . November 6, 2013, accessed March 30, 2017
- Hannah Gregory: How a Swedish Movie Producer Turned Art Collector Revived the Parisian Institution Cahiers d'Art , on Artsy , April 13, 2015, accessed March 30, 2017
- Angelika Heinick: Das Vermächtnis des Tériade , in: Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung , No. 41 / page 67, October 14, 2007, accessed on December 4, 2012
- Will Grohmann , willgrohmann.de, accessed on December 5, 2012
- Logical time and the logic of the collective . diss.fu-berlin.de, accessed on December 4, 2012
- Dictionary of Art Historians: Christian Zervos , dictionaryofarthistorians.org, accessed December 4, 2012
- Quoted from the press release of October 18, 2012, see web link for the newly founded journal
- Permanent Collection of Rare Publications on Art , pieridesfoundation.com., Accessed December 6, 2012
- Christian Zervos: un éditeur face à l'art de son temps , mediation.centrepompidou.fr, accessed on February 8, 2016
- Quoted from the web link art - Das Kunstmagazin
- About Christian Zervos and Mila Gagarine
- Musée Zervos ( Memento of March 5, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) musee-zervos.fr, accessed on December 5, 2012
- Le Catalog Pablo Picasso par Christian Zervos - réédition , claudinecolin.com, accessed on November 5, 2014
- Picasso catalog raisonné by Zervos again , artinfo24.com from May 23, 2013, accessed on June 12, 2013