Canon EOS R
|Canon EOS R|
|Type:||Mirrorless digital camera with interchangeable lenses|
|Lens connection :||Canon RF bayonet|
|Image sensor :||CMOS|
|Sensor size:||36 mm × 24 mm|
|Resolution :||30.1 megapixels|
|Image size:||6,720 × 4,480 pixels|
|Format factor :||1|
|Aspect ratio :||3: 2|
|File formats :||JPEG , raw data format|
|Exposure index :||Basic setting: 100 - 40,000 (in third steps) expandable up to H2: 102,400, video up to 25,600 expandable up to H2: 102,400|
|Screen :||TFT color monitor, capacitive touchscreen|
|Size:||8.01 cm (3.2 ″)|
|Resolution:||1024 × 684 pixels (700,416 pixels)|
|Operating modes:||Single picture, series picture, self-timer|
|Frame rate :||Max. 8 frames / s|
|Auto focus (AF) :||Dual pixel CMOS AF system|
|AF points:||5,655 AF points|
|AF modes:||One-shot (single autofocus), servo (continuous autofocus), manual focus.|
|Exposure metering :||Evaluative metering, selective metering, spot metering, center-weighted integral metering|
|Regulation:||automatically or manually|
|Closure :||electronically controlled focal plane shutter|
|Shutter speed :||30 s -1/8000 s and Bulb|
|Lightning connection :||E-TTL II with EX Speedlites, wireless multi-flash system|
|Exposure compensation :||Manual: ± 3 steps in 1/3 or 1/2 steps|
|Color space :||sRGB|
|White balance :||automatically, manually|
|Storage media :||SD, SDHC or SDXC card (UHS-I)|
|Data interface :||USB , Wi-Fi , Bluetooth|
|Video interface:||HDMI video output|
|Power supply:||Lithium-ion battery LP-E6N, LP-E6|
|Dimensions:||approx. 135.8 mm × 98.3 mm × 84.4 mm (W × H × D)|
|Weight:||approx. 580 g (housing only), approx. 660 g (including battery and memory card)|
The Canon EOS R is a mirrorless system camera from the Japanese manufacturer Canon . It was launched in October 2018 and was Canon's first mirrorless camera with a full-frame sensor (35mm equivalent) . When it was launched, the recommended retail price was 2,520 euros.
The architecture of the camera is based on the professional DSLR EOS 5D Mark IV , which also has an effective resolution of around 30 megapixels. However, the mirrorless EOS R is lighter, smaller and equipped with better imaging software.
The EOS R model has a built-in OLED viewfinder with a 1.27 cm (0.5 inch) screen diagonal, an aspect ratio of 4: 3 and a resolution of 1280 × 960 pixels. The display in the 3: 2 aspect ratio has a resolution of 1024 × 684 pixels and can be folded out and then rotated almost completely around its own axis.
Like the EOS 5D Mark IV, the camera has a dual-pixel sensor . All image points of the sensor are recorded by two individual photodiodes, each of which outputs its own signal. With the additional data obtained, it is possible, according to the manufacturer, to adjust the focus, to shift the bokeh of a picture afterwards and to reduce stray light. The disadvantage is that dual-pixel RAWs with around 65MB per image are saved significantly larger than normal RAW images and the series image speed drops. The dual pixel RAWs can only be edited as such in Canon's own DPP software.
With the model, Canon introduced the RF lens bayonet . The manufacturer initially offered four lenses with this connection. The system is backwards compatible with Canon EF lenses , for whose use on EOS-R cameras an adapter available from the manufacturer is required.
Variant Canon EOS Ra
On November 6, 2019 Canon released the EOS Ra camera variant as a version with a modified IR filter. As with other camera models (e.g. EOS 20Da and 60Da ), the camera is more sensitive in the infrared range. This property is of particular interest for astrophotography .
- Kyra Singer, Christian Singer: Canon EOS R. Bildner, Passau 2019, ISBN 978-3-8328-0324-7 . (With index)
- Canon (among other manufacturers) counts the subpixels of each pixel, i.e. H. the red, green and blue channels of each pixel individually, and therefore specifies the rear display with 700,416 [pixels] × 3 [colors] = 2,101,248 pixels (~ 2.1 million pixels).
- Product data sheet
- Canon EOS R (professional DSLM). Retrieved August 19, 2020 .
- Canon EOS R and Canon EOS 5D Mark IV - technology comparison. Retrieved August 19, 2020 .
- Our experiences with the new Canon EOS R. In: DDpix.de. October 16, 2018, accessed on August 19, 2020 (German).
- gregor.gruber: Canon EOS R in the test: better than feared, worse than hoped. Retrieved January 26, 2020 .
- The dual pixel RAW recording in the practical test | News | dkamera.de | The digital camera magazine. Retrieved August 20, 2020 .
- Canon Germany: Up to the stars: Canon presents the EOS Ra - a mirrorless EOS with full-frame sensor for astrophotography - Canon press center. Accessed November 6, 2019 (German).
- Canon Germany: Canon EOS Ra cameras. Accessed November 6, 2019 (German).