Chris Joris (born November 30, 1952 in Mechelen ) is a Belgian jazz musician ( percussion , piano ) and composer .
Live and act
Joris comes from a musical family (his father is the opera singer Jan Joris); he first received piano lessons and then learned the clarinet. As early as the 1960s he founded an experimental jazz trio as a pianist , which performed with Fred Van Hove , John Tchicai and Michel Mast. Johnny Dyani convinced him to switch to percussion. In 1977 he founded the Trio Assum in Paris with Cheikh Tidiane Fall and Agib Dieng ; in the same year he became a member of Aksak Maboul and was also involved in the first album of this art rock band. Since 1978 he came through Bruno Castellucci to appearances with Toots Thielemans , Art Farmer , Michel Herr , Michel Legrand , Steve Houben and Bert Joris (with whom he is not related). In 1982 he founded his group Bula Sangoma , with whom he recorded two albums. In 1987 he was involved in the James Baldwin project by David Linx and Pierre van Dormael . Then he performed with the percussive group Bihigo ; he also worked with Adama Dramé . In 1998 he founded his Chris Joris Experience , which initially included Bart Defoort . In the next few years he toured with Mal Waldron . In 2003 he wrote the oratorio Ishango with Daniel Schell , which was based on African motifs and was performed by the Symphonic Choir of the French Community of Belgium.
Prizes and awards
In 1998 he was voted best percussionist in both the listeners and critics polls of the Belgian broadcaster BRF ; in the same year he received the Django d'Or as "best Flemish musician" .
- Songs for Mbizo (1976/1991, with Johnny Dyani, John Ruocco , Julian Bahula , David Linx, Steve Houben, Cheikh Tidiane Fall, Christoph Erbstösser and others)
- Bihogo (1993, with Annie Whitehead , Cameron Brown and others)
- Rainbow Country (2007, with Bob Stewart , Eric Person , Baba Sissoko, Fabian Fiorini, Reggie Washington , Chris Mentens, Junior Mthombeni)
- Paul Van Gysegem , Chris Joris, Patrick De Groote: Boundless (El Negocito, 2017)
- Web presence
- Chris Joris at Discogs (English)
- Chris Joris at Allmusic (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Belgian jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 30, 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mechelen|