After studying German, English, philosophy and educational science at the University of Hamburg , which Gutknecht completed with the state examination for high school teaching , he did his doctorate on a topic of Old Middle High German . The title of the work presented in 1966 is: The Middle High German verse novella "Von zwein koufmannen" by Ruprecht von Würzburg .
In 1972 he became Scientific Councilor at the University of Hamburg; From 1976 to 2001 he was Professor of English Linguistics there . His main research areas are applied linguistics and translatology .
- with William J. Barry: Practical English Phonetics. A Programmed Course in English Pronunciation . Helmut Buske , Hamburg 1974, ISBN 978-3871180668 ( excerpts from Google Books ).
- as editor: Basic concepts and mainstreams in linguistics . Hoffmann and Campe , Hamburg 1977, ISBN 978-3455092141 .
- Lots of bohemian villages. How the words got their meaning . CH Beck , Munich 1995, ISBN 978-3406459894 ( excerpts from Google Books ).
- Lots of pointed tongues. Winged words and their story . CH Beck, Munich 1996, ISBN 978-3406459658 ( excerpts from Google Books ).
- All blooming nonsense. Amazing stories from madness to wishy-washy . CH Beck, Munich 2002, ISBN 978-3406475573 ( excerpts from Google Books ).
- I'll do it Mexican for you. Lots of erotic word stories . CH Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 978-3406510991 .
- Gauner, Großkotz, kesse Lola: German-Yiddish word stories . be.bra , Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3861246961 .
- Past ostracism and censorship. On the role of literary allusions in erotic literature . Secret Languages Verlag , Münster 2020, ISBN 978-3-947218-10-3 .
- 2009: Role of "Loghain Mac Tir" in Dragon Age: Origins
- Literature by and about Christoph Gutknecht in the catalog of the German National Library
- Reviews of Gutknecht's books at perlentaucher.de
- Christoph Gutknecht on the audio project Tracking down language (offline)
- Private website of Christoph Gutknecht ( Memento from August 1, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) (archived version)
- record in the German National Library, accessed on March 1, 2016.
- Homepage of Christoph Gutknecht on the website of the University of Hamburg, accessed on January 26, 2017.
- Audiobooks spoken by Gutknecht (overview) at audiamo.com , accessed on March 14, 2016.
- Articles by Gutknecht in the Jüdische Allgemeine, accessed on March 8, 2020.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Anglist and Germanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 24, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamburg|