Detlef Bückmann (born November 4, 1927 on Heligoland ) is a German zoologist , researcher and university professor . Until his retirement in 1996 he researched and taught at the University of Ulm .
Bückmann's father was the biologist Adolf Bückmann , who later became the head of the Helgoland Biological Institute (BAH). Until 1943 Bückmann attended the Ludwig-Meyn-Gymnasium in the Uetersen district of Pinneberg . In the Second World War he was an air force helper as well as in the Reich labor and military service . After the imprisonment he was able to continue his education. In 1947 he passed his Abitur in Hamburg-Blankenese .
Bückmann then studied biology at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz . He graduated with a doctorate in 1952 and was a research associate at the University of Mainz until 1958. In 1957 he completed his habilitation and in 1958 he moved to the Georg-August University in Göttingen as a senior assistant . He was appointed adjunct professor there in 1963. In 1965 he accepted an appointment as full professor at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen (chair of zoology). There he was director of the Zoophysiological Institute and in 1968/69 dean of the Faculty of Natural Sciences. In 1969 he moved to the newly founded University of Ulm (Chair of Biology). There he was head of the department of general zoology and from 1978/79 chairman of the statutory senate, from 1973 to 1975 dean of the faculty of natural sciences and from 1979 to 1983 rector of the university.
Bückmann was Vice President of the German Zoological Society from 1975 to 1976 and of the Association of German Biologists from 1996 to 1998 . He is the recipient of the doctoral award of the University of Mainz in 1952 and the science award of the city of Ulm in 1972. He is the recipient of the Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon . In 1996 he retired .
Main areas of work: development and physiology of arthropods . 1. Development of the insect color, hormonal and sensory control of the morphological color change. 2. Heavy sense of insects 3. Biology and physiology of pantopods 4. Tribal history of the hormonal systems.
The work is characterized by the selection of particularly suitable objects to be examined for specific physiological questions. The color of the insect, based on the storage of certain, chemically defined dyes, enables the effect of the controlling environmental factors and hormones to be chemically precisely recorded. The way of life of a beetle digging in the sea sands enables the detection of gravity and the measurement of its efficiency. The first successful laboratory rearing of a representative of the primitive, scarcely researched class of pantopods allowed the detection of his molting hormone, thus contributing to the distribution and tribal history of the arthopod hormones and the discovery of its function as a protective anti-predator.
- About the course and the initiation of behavior changes and discoloration of adult caterpillars. Mainz 1953
- The triggering of the change in color by the moulting hormone in Cerura vinula L. (Lepidoptera Notodontidae) In: J. Insect Physiol. Pp. 159-189, 1959
- The problem of heaviness in insects . In: Naturwissenschaften 49, pp. 28–33 (1962)
- Developmental Physiology of Arthropods, Postembryonic Development . In Bauer, H. (Ed.) Advances in Zoology, Vol. 14, pp. 164-234 (1962)
- Morphological Color Change: Stage independent optically induced Ommochrome Synthesis in Larvae of the Stick Insect Carausius morosus Br . J. Comp. Physiol Vol. 115, pp. 185-193 (1977)
- Contributions. In: Ontogenesis and Phylogenesis. Erlangen Symposium for Structural Analysis and Evolutionary Research, October 3-6, 1977 (Ed .: R. Siewing), Hamburg / Berlin 1979
- Ulm University . Handover of the rectorate on October 24, 1979, Ulm University, Ulm 1982
- The Ûlmer concept - development and balance sheet of a new university . In: Konstanzer Blätter für Hochschulfragen , Vol. 78-80, pp. 35-50, Konstanz 1983
- Wolfgang von Buddenbrock and the foundation of comparative physiology . In: Med. Historical Journal , Vol. 20, pp. 120-134, 1983
- The phylogeny of hormones and hormonal systems , In: Nova acta Leopoldina , NF 56, No. 255, pp. 437-452, 1985
- The design of the state from a behavioral perspective . In: Studienstiftung Wekersheim (Ed.) Europe and the nation states , Verlag Haase and Koehler, Stuttgart 1994
- Hormonale Regulation in Gewecke, M. (Ed.) Physiology of Insects, Verlag Gustav Fischer, Stuttgart Jena, New York, 1995
- Hans Piepho - 1909-1993 - and the pioneering period of insect endocrinology. Entomol. Gener. 20, 129-132, 1996
- Together with E. Wilhelm and KH Tomaschko: Growth and reproduction of Pycnogonum litorale (Pycnogonida) under laboratory conditions . In: Marine Biology , Vol. 129, pp. 595-600, 1997
- As editor: Biology of learning and understanding . In: conference proceedings; Statements and lectures of the State Biologentag 2002 , Ulm 2002.
- Werner Funke : “With dedication and success: zoologist and university politician. Prof. Dr. Detlef Bückmann 75 years old. " In: uni ulm intern No. 257 (November 2002)
- Detlef Bückmann: Amazing shapes. Ernst Jünger Prize for Professor Funke . In: uni ulm intern , No. 245 / May 2001
- Former rector Professor Detlef Bückmann turns 80 - in a stormy phase, ideas of the founding fathers preserved on November 6, 2007 on idw-online.de
- Uni Ulm: Every beginning was difficult. Anniversary. A veteran looks back on the founding years of the educational institution, which was founded 50 years ago, on February 24, 2017 on augsburger-allgemeine.de
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German zoologist, researcher and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 4, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Heligoland|