Ice cave (geology)
As ice caves are caves referred to by their position on (almost) all year round climate with temperatures below the freezing point have. As a result, ice in the form of a frozen lake , icicles or the like remains throughout the year . It is created by the fact that in winter cold air flows into the downward-facing entrance. Since warmer air is lighter, it cannot displace the trapped cold air even in the summer months.
Caves in glaciers or other ice masses are sometimes referred to as ice caves . A naturally formed cave that has been known since around 2010 is located at an altitude of 3250 m under the Hintertux Glacier .
A variety of such caves occur naturally; others are made by hand ( Subterranea ).
Ice caves in Europe
- the Dachstein giant ice cave in the Dachstein Mountains , Austria
- the Schellenberger ice cave near Marktschellenberg , Germany
- the Hundalm ice cave near Angerberg , Austria
- the Schwarzmooskogel cave system in Austria
- the Eisriesenwelt near Werfen , Austria with a length of 42 kilometers
- the Dobšinská Ice Cave ( Dobšinská ľadová jaskyňa ) near Dobšiná, Slovakia
- The Demänová Ice Cave (Demänovská ľadová jaskyňa) in the Low Tatras , Slovakia
- the ice cave of Monlési (Glacière de Montlési) and other ice caves in the Swiss Jura (cantons of Neuchâtel and Vaud )
- the Kungurer Ice Cave near Kungur , Russia
- the Ledová jeskyně Naděje ice cave Hope in the Lusatian Mountains , Czech Republic
- the Hendrikhöhle in Schwarzach, Austria
- the Great Ice Cave in Paradana (Velika ledena jama) in the Ternovan Forest , Slovenia
- the Scărișoara Cave (Peștera Scărișoara) in the Apuseni Mountains , Romania
- the Kolowratshöhle in Untersberg in the Berchtesgaden Alps , Germany
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from March 21, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from November 15, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.