Georg Schönmuth was born as the youngest son of a farmer in Niederlausitz , attended elementary school and then completed an agricultural apprenticeship. From 1944 onwards there was military service in the Navy and British captivity. After two years working in his father's business, Schönmuth graduated from the agricultural school in Rostock as a state-certified farmer in 1948 . From 1949 he studied agricultural science at the Humboldt University of Berlin (HU) and graduated as a qualified farmer in 1952.
This was followed by two years as a consultant for the breeding organization for horse breeding in the state of Brandenburg. In 1954 Schönmuth moved to the Institute for Animal Breeding and Domestic Animal Genetics of the Agricultural and Horticultural Faculty of the HU Berlin to Wilhelm Stahl , became an assistant and received his doctorate in 1955. agr. with a topic on the efficiency of warm blood breeding in Brandenburg. During this time he also passed - as the youngest participant - the second state examination for animal breeding managers in Berlin. In 1957 he became senior assistant, from 1960 already with teaching assignments, 1962 with the perception of a professorship with teaching assignment, 1963 with the provisional management of the institute and after the habilitation (1964) with the institute management as well as professor with teaching assignment, with full teaching assignment and finally with chair commissioned for general and special animal breeding.
Even after the establishment of the animal production and veterinary medicine section as part of the third university reform of the GDR in 1968, Schönmuth retained the leadership of the animal breeding and domestic animal genetics department as a full professor. With the new formation of the agricultural garden. Faculty he was appointed professor for animal breeding in 1990 and retired in 1993 due to old age. After that, he worked in an advisory capacity and gave lectures for many years, but was no longer able to influence the closure of the faculty and the conversion to the Albrecht Daniel Thaer Institute for Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences on April 1, 2014. He died after a long illness on July 9, 2016 and was taken to the cemetery in Stolzenhagen b. Bernau buried.
- 1966–93 member of the editorial board of the "Archive for Animal Breeding"
- Member of the editorial team of the magazine "Tierzucht"
- 1968 Deputy Chairman of the Central Genetics Working Group of the Research Council of the GDR
- 1976–84 Vice President,
- 1985–91 President of the Cattle Breeding Commission of the European Association for Animal Production
- 1984 Chairman of the Animal Breeding and Breeding Research Section of the Academy of Agricultural Sciences (AdL) of the GDR
- 1983 Vice Dean
- 1986 Dean of the Agricultural Faculty of the HU Berlin
- Member of the main committee of the German Society for Breeding Science ( DGfZ )
- 1990 Chairman of the Science Council of the AdL plenum for the renewal of the learned society
- 1991–94 member of the Federal Government's Science Council
- 1991 and 1997 member of the board of trustees and the scientific. Council of the Foundation "Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals" (BfN) Dummerstorf near Rostock
- Judge and chairman of numerous cattle shows
- Breeding Commission of the RBB
Georg Schönmuth worked for 40 years, including over 30 years as a professor of animal breeding and pet genetics at the Humboldt University in Berlin. This made him one of the agricultural training centers located in Berlin, the university lecturer for animal breeding with the longest period of service and a worthy representative on this chair, which is important throughout Germany. He lectured in general and special animal breeding and focused his research on the animal species beef. Above all, the scientific planning and support of the program for the breeding of the black and white dairy cattle (SMR) of the GDR from 1963 should be mentioned, in which the existing breed of the black and white low-lying cattle in the first step through crossbreeding of Danish Jersey (to improve the milk content) and in the second step by British Friesian (to increase milk yield and body capacity).
In the specialization, Schönmuth secured the development of further chairs or assignments such as B. biochemical-physiological genetics in domestic animals, technology / animal husbandry, animal breeding of the agricultural sector. Main species as well as animal feeding. He achieved great merits by holding lectures and exams in the courses for state-approved animal breeding managers and, after 1972, by taking over the organization of this training as a postgraduate course at the HU Berlin. Between 1955 and 1990 around 850 people achieved this degree. From 1966 to 1968 he organized symposia for animal breeding with international participation of scientists and thus maintained important contacts with professional colleagues in western areas. After the political change, he contributed to the reorganization of agricultural research in the new federal states - including the merger of the agricultural faculty of the Technical University of Berlin with the agricultural gardening department. Faculty of the Humboldt University.
Georg Schönmuth supervised 80 dissertations, 19 habilitations and PhDs B and published 268 scientific articles.
- 1972 corresponding member of the Academy of Agricultural Sciences of the GDR (AdL)
- 1974 National Prize winner 2nd class for science and technology in a collective for his part in the breeding of the breed of black and white dairy cattle of the GDR
- 1977 Full member of the AdL
- Honored breeder
- Honored university professor
- Erwin Baur Medal of the AdL
- 1980 Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina in Halle / Saale
- 1987 Honorary member of the German Society for Breeding Science (DGfZ)
- 1998 Hermann von Nathusius Medal of the DGfZ
- Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 1988 honorary doctorate to Dr. agr. hc by the University of Leipzig
- 1989 honorary doctorate to Dr. agr. hc by the Agricultural Faculty of the Pannonian University in Keszthely , Hungary
- Honorary member of the "RBB Rinderproduktion Berlin-Brandenburg" GmbH
- 2008 Presentation of a bust of Schönmuth on the occasion of his 80th birthday to the Landw.-Gärtn. Faculty of the HU Berlin
- Basics for the efficiency of warm blood breeding in Brandenburg. 2 parts; Diss. Humboldt-Univ. Berlin, 1955
- Stallion book of the Brandenburger Warmblutzucht from 1900 to 1958. Berlin: Deutscher Bauernverlag, 1959, 176 pp.
- For the breeding of a milk-rich dual-purpose cattle with a high milk fat and protein content and the best udder. In: Archiv für Tierzucht, 6, 1963, 79–92
- The fertility of the German Holstein cattle, its heritability as well as correlations between the fertility of insemination bulls and the fertility of the daughters. Hab.-Schr. Humboldt Univ. Berlin, agricultural gardening. Faculty, 1964,
- Cattle Breeding Problems. With Joachim Lenschow, Berlin: DAL, 1966
- Capability of twin mothers and twins in cattle, with Ursula Stolzenburg. Berlin: AdL, 1979, 44 pp.
- Genetic aspects of twin pregnancy in cattle. With Ursula Stolzenburg. Berlin: AdL, 1979, 48 pp.
- Animal production. With Dietrich Flade and Gerhard Seeland,
- 1st part: Genetic and phylogenetic basics. Berlin: DLV, 2 editions: 1984 and 1986,
- Part 2: Breeding and ecological principles., 2nd edition: 1985 and 1986
- Research results in animal breeding: Prof. Dr. sc. G. Schönmuth dedicated to his 60th birthday. Berlin: Humboldt-Univ., 1988, 102 pp.
- Ceremonial colloquium in honor of Prof. Dr. agr. habil. Dr. hc mult. Georg Schönmuth on the occasion of his 70th birthday: Falkenrehde, May 27, 1998. Red. M. Simon. Werder (Havel): Rinderproduktion Berlin-Brandenburg GmbH, 1999, 180 pp.
- 100 years of the German Society for Breeding Science (DGfZ). Lecture at the meeting of animal breeding managers 2005 at the Humboldt-Univ. to Berlin. In: Zkde, 77, 2005, issue 6, 464-471
- Animal breeding in the GDR and in the new federal states. DGfZ publication series special issue I, co-editor, 2007, 451 p .; ISSN 0949-8842
- Gerber, Theophil: Personalities from agriculture and forestry - Biographisches Lexikon, NORA Berlin, 4th exp. Ed., 2014, p. 698
- Short biography for: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 2. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 . . In:
- Gravert, HO: Prof. Dr. Dr. h c. Georg Schönmuth 65 years. In: Zkde, 65, 1993, 323-324
- Gravert and Prince of Solms-Lich: Hermann von Nathusius Medal for Prof. Dr. agr. habil. Dr. hc mult. Georg Schönmuth. In: Zkde, 70, 1998, H. 6, 393-394
- Schwark, H.-J .: Prof. Dr. Drs. Hc Georg Schönmuth 75 years old. In: Archiv für Tierzucht, 56, 2003, 101–102 (3)
- Lode, Ernst Jürgen: Appreciation at the funeral service for Prof. Dr. habil. Dr. hc mult. on July 18, 2016 at the cemetery in Wandlitz-Stolzenhagen near Bernau
- Brockmann, Gudrun: Prof. Dr. Dr. hc Georg Schönmuth: * May 27th, 1928, + July 9th, 2016. In: Press release from the Albrecht Daniel Thaer Institute at Humboldt University Berlin
- Lode, Ernst Jürgen u. Marquardt, Otto-Werner: Obituary for Prof. Dr. habil. Dr. hc mult. Georg Schönmuth, Berlin. In: Zkde, 88, 2016, no. 5, 321–323
- Obituary for Prof. Georg Schönmuth
- Member by Prof. Dr. Georg Schönmuth at the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina , accessed on September 26, 2016.
- Hermann von Nathusius Medal. German Society for Zuchtungskunde eV (DGfZ), accessed on November 2, 2016 .
- Presentation of the bust, which was only to be erected after his death
- Prof. Georg Schönmuth 75 years old ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German agricultural scientist, animal breeder and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 27, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankena , Krs. Luckau , Lower Lusatia|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 9, 2016|
|Place of death||Neustadt (Dosse)|