Georg Schulz (musician)
Georg Schulz (born May 17, 1963 in Graz ) is an Austrian accordionist . From 2007 to 2012 he was rector of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz , in June 2018 he was re-elected rector. He was originally supposed to take up the office in October 2018, but after an objection to the decision he took up the office on March 1, 2020.
Georg Schulz began studying chemistry at the University of Graz , which he completed in 1987 with a master's degree. In 1990 he received his doctorate in natural sciences . From 1988 he also studied accordion with Mogens Ellegaard at what was then the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz , and in 1992 he was the first to complete his studies. majoring in accordion at the Kunstuniversität Graz (KUG), where he has been teaching accordion ever since. He attended the University Course Higher Education Management at the University of Klagenfurt , which he in 2006 as Academic university administrators ended and the university course University and Science Management at the University of Continuing Education Krems , which he in 2007 with a thesis on requirements for a quality management system for the teaching of the arts on the example graduated from the University of Art in Graz as a Master of Science .
His habilitation in the artistic subject of accordion was the first at an Austrian art university. In 2002 the KUG awarded him the venia docendi for this subject and the title of extraordinary university professor . From 2000 to 2003 he was Vice Dean of Studies for Instrumental Studies, Instrumental and Vocal Pedagogy (IGP) and Jazz at the KUG, and from 2003 to 2007 he was Vice Rector for Teaching. In March 2007 he was elected rector of the KUG for the first time by the university council as the successor to Otto Kolleritsch . At the end of 2012, the Austrian Administrative Court (VwGH) decided that the electoral process leading up to his re-appointment as rector from March 2012 was illegal. As a result, his contract as rector was terminated at the end of January 2013. The executive vice- rector Robert Höldrich took over the management of the university on an interim basis, followed by Elisabeth Freismuth as rector of the KUG in October 2014 . At the end of 2014 he was elected Vice-President of the Association Européenne des Conservatoires, Académies de Musique et Musikhochschulen (AEC). In June 2018, Georg Schulz was re-elected rector of the Kunstuni Graz as successor to Elisabeth Freismuth; he was originally supposed to take up the office in October 2018. After an objection to the decision, he took office on March 1, 2020.
As an accordionist, his focus is on contemporary chamber music. He has appeared at the Steirischer Herbst and the Salzburg Festival, among others, as well as with the Klangforum Wien and the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra . He also worked as an arranger and instrumentalist in theater productions, for example at the Schauspielhaus Graz and at the Reichenau Festival .
- 1999: Double concert for accordion, viola and chamber orchestra , with Dimitrios Polisoidis (viola) and the Klangforum Wien under Sylvain Cambreling , Edition Zeitton
- 1999: Hans Zender : Schubert's Winterreise , with Christoph Prégardien and the Klangforum Wien under Sylvain Cambreling, Kairos
- 2000: Klaus Lang : The seven messengers for seven instrumentalists, Durian Records
- 2001: Jeux à Deux: Music for percussion & accordion , with Ulli Stadler-Fromme (drums) and works by Georg Katzer, Zbigniew Bargielski, Bo Holten, Georg Friedrich Haas and Astor Piazzolla, extra plate
- 2002: Georg Friedrich Haas : Who, If I Scream, Heard Me / Harmony of Free Beings / Night-Shadow , with Dimitrios Polisoidis, Lukas Schiske and the Klangforum Wien under Sylvain Cambreling, Kairos
- Entry on Georg Schulz in the Austria forum
- Georg Schulz Art University Graz
- Georg Schulz at Discogs (English)
- Georg Schulz at Allmusic (English)
- Entry on Georg Schulz in the Austria Forum
- orf.at: Georg Schulz elected KUG Rector . Article dated June 30, 2018, accessed July 6, 2018.
- Education: Georg Schulz will be the new Art University Rector from 2020. In: ORF.at . September 18, 2019, accessed September 18, 2019 .
- Michael Tschida: Kunstuniversität Graz: Georg Schulz rector after eight years. In: Small newspaper . March 2, 2020, accessed March 2, 2020 .
- KUG: Georg Schulz . Retrieved July 7, 2018.
- Province of Styria: Ceremonial introduction of the new rector at the Graz University of Art . Article dated November 7, 2007, accessed July 7, 2018.
- orf.at: VwGH: Re-election of the Art University Rector illegal . Article dated November 21, 2012, accessed July 7, 2018.
- orf.at: Kunstuni Graz: Rector Schulz has to go . Article dated December 12, 2012, accessed July 7, 2018.
- Elizabeth Freismuth new Rector at KUG . Article dated October 1, 2014, accessed July 7, 2018.
- KUG: Former rector Georg Schulz elected Vice-President of the European Association of Conservatoires by a large majority . Article dated November 19, 2014, accessed July 7, 2018.
- Kleine Zeitung: Kunstuni Graz: Georg Schulz returns as rector . Article dated June 29, 2018, accessed July 6, 2018.
- University Council of the KUG appoints interim rectorate . Article dated September 26, 2018, accessed October 30, 2018.
- Mahrer presents high state awards to deserving personalities in science . OTS notification dated December 16, 2015, accessed July 6, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian accordionist and rector|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th May 1963|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Graz|