Georgios Mangakis was the son of the Greek politician Antonios Mangakis . He studied law in Athens and Munich, and received his doctorate from the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich in 1953. In Athens he became a professor of criminal law , and in 1962/63 he was visiting professor at the University of Freiburg .
After Greece became a military dictatorship through a coup in 1967 , Mangakis, who was considered a sharp opponent of military rule, was initially suspended from service and imprisoned in 1969. In 1970 he was sentenced to 18 years in prison. In 1972 he was appointed to a chair for criminal law at Heidelberg University. He used a leave of absence granted for health reasons to travel to the Federal Republic of Germany with his wife . He flew on a Bundeswehr aircraft and was bid farewell to the German ambassador Peter Limbourg at the part of the Athens airport used by the US military . Although this was probably agreed with the Greek dictator Georgios Papadopoulos , disagreements within the military junta led to diplomatic resentment between Greece and the Federal Republic, which led to Limbourg being recalled from Athens.
After the end of the military dictatorship in 1974, Mangakis returned to Greece and became Minister of Public Works. He joined PASOK in 1980 and was Minister of Justice in the government of Andreas Papandreou from 1982 to 1986 .
German-language articles and books
- The awareness of injustice in criminal guilt theory according to German and Greek law , 1954 (see dissertation LMU Munich 1953)
- On the relationship between criminal law and free will , in: ZStW , Volume 75.1963, p. 499 ff
- The ethical problem of criminal defense , in: GA , 1966, p. 11 ff
- The collision of duties as a borderline situation of criminal law , in: ZStW, Volume 84.1972, p. 447 ff
- A lecture from prison , in: Festschrift for Günter Bemmann on his 70th birthday on December 15, 1997 , 1997 ( ISBN 3-7890-5160-8 ), pp. 63–66
- Freedom, my beloved , 2001 ( ISBN 3-7890-7652-X )
- In prison . In: Der Spiegel . No. 28 , 1972, p. 86 ( Online - July 3, 1972 ).
- Obituary (German)
- Obituary (English)
- Cell of two square meters . In: Der Spiegel . No. 33 , 1969, p. 70 ( Online - Aug. 11, 1969 ).
- Critical Justice: “Laudation for an anti-fascist” (PDF; 346 kB); Die Zeit, April 28, 1972: Athens angry ; The time of April 28, 1972: "crook or gangster piece?"
- Re .: Tsatsaronis . In: Der Spiegel . No. 32 , 1974, p. 3 ( Online - Aug. 5, 1974 ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Μαγκάκης, Γεώργιος (Greek)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek lawyer and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 25, 1922|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Athens|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 5, 2011|
|Place of death||Athens|