Gerd Weiß (actually: Gerhard Walter Weiß; born August 6, 1949 in Lippstadt ) is a German art historian and monument conservator . From January 1, 1999 to November 30, 2014 he was President of the State Office for Monument Preservation in Hesse .
Gerd Weiß studied art history, German , sociology and journalism at the University of Göttingen , where he received his doctorate in 1976 with an architectural and sociological study of Heinrich Tessenow's housing construction . From 1976 to 1998, Weiß worked in Lower Saxony's monument preservation department, most recently as head of the building and art heritage department and representative of the President of the Lower Saxony State Office for Monument Preservation . In the meantime he was a consultant for monument preservation in the Lower Saxony Ministry for Science and Culture .
In addition to his role as President of the State Office for Monument Preservation Hessen he's since 2006 Representative of the State of Hesse for the UNESCO - World Heritage in Hesse.
Gerd Weiß teaches at the art history seminar at the University of Göttingen and at the art history institute at the University of Frankfurt am Main . He has been honorary professor at the latter since 2002 . He is a member of boards , boards of trustees and advisory boards of around thirty foundations , academies, commissions and associations. These include the German Foundation for Monument Protection , the Historical Commission for Hesse , the German National Committee for Monument Protection , the Dehio Association , the "denk-mal" fair in Leipzig , which takes place every two years, the Association of German Architects and ICOMOS Germany. Until 2014 he was chairman of the Association of State Monument Preservators .
On 18 December 2013 he was awarded the Badge of Honor of the city of Kassel for his contributions to the registration of the mountain park Wilhelmshöhe in the list of World Heritage of UNESCO . On November 30, 2014, he retired as President of the State Office for Monument Preservation Hesse after reaching the relevant age limit. Markus Harzenetter became his successor on May 1st, 2015 .
Gerd Weiß has written numerous publications on the history of architecture and art, mainly of the 19th and 20th centuries and on the preservation of monuments. With colleagues from other federal states, he developed the concept of the series " Monument Topography Federal Republic of Germany " and wrote the first volume on the Lüneburg district , which appeared in 1981. He was co-author of the two volumes on the state capital of Hanover and edited the series during his time in Lower Saxony.
- Heinrich Tessenow. A builder. Life - Teaching - Work (together with Gerda Wangerin). Essen 1976. Göttingen 1976.
- District of Lüneburg . Braunschweig / Wiesbaden 1981 (= architectural monuments in Lower Saxony, vol. 22.2).
- City of Hanover (together with W. Neß, I. Riechmann, M. Zehnpfennig), 2 vols. Braunschweig / Wiesbaden 1983 and 1985 (= architectural monuments in Lower Saxony, vol. 10).
- Dehio Bremen / Lower Saxony (main processor). 2nd edition Munich 1992.
- NN: Dr. Gerd Weiß new Hessian state curator. In: Monument Preservation and Cultural History. Published by the State Office for Monument Preservation Hessen , 2/1998, p. 41.
- NN: Personal questions to Prof. Weiß . In: Monument Preservation and Cultural History. Published by the State Office for Monument Preservation Hesse, 3/2009, p. 48.
- Katharina Benak, Sandra Kress, Dieter Griesbach-Maisant, Jennifer Verhoeven, Tobias Michael Wolf (eds.): The preservationist as mediator. Gerd Weiß on his 65th birthday . (= Workbooks of the State Office for Monument Preservation Hesse , Volume 25). Wiesbaden 2014. ISBN 978-3-8062-3006-2 .
- ↑ NN: Professorship for Dr. Gerd Weiss . In: Monument Preservation and Cultural History. Edited by the State Office for Monument Preservation Hessen, 2/2002, p. 62 f.
- ^ NN: Badge of Honor for Prof. Dr. Gerd Weiss. In: Hessisch Niedersächsische Allgemeine from December 19, 2013, p. 1.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German conservationist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 6, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lippstadt|