Live and act
After returning home, he became the commander of the Danish fortress Kronborg b. Helsingør am Sund, later to the magistrate in Flensburg and then in Hadersleben , soon after the death of his father also to the governor of the royal portion of Schleswig-Holstein. But since he was mainly endowed with martial talents, he spent most of the time as a soldier.
After he had taken part in a campaign under Prince Moritz of Orange with royal permission , King Christian IV gave him command in the so-called Kalmarischen War against Sweden (1611-1613). In the Thirty Years' War that followed, however, he could no longer be active, although in November 1626, when the imperial army was approaching, he announced to the Landtag in Rendsburg that “he didn't want to be the last, but the first, and his old gray hair Oppose the enemy ”. ( Adam Olearius , holst. Chronicle)
He died two months later, before the war broke out in Schleswig-Holstein.
His first wife was Thale Tagesdatter Thott (1550-1611). After her death he married Dorothea von Brockdorff († 1630). They had the following children:
- Christian zu Rantzau (1614–1663) ⚭ Dorothea von Rantzau (1619–1662)
- Sophie (1620-1697)
- ⚭ 1635 General Wolf Heinrich von Baudissin (1579–1646)
- ⚭ 1650 Cai von Ahlefeldt , (* June 27, 1591 - † September 6, 1670)
- Hedwig Margarethe Elisabeth von Rantzau (1624–1706) ⚭ 1636 Josias Rantzau
- Øllegaard Catharine (1625–1675) ⚭ 1642 Detlev von Brockdorff (1600–1670)
- Anna Christine (1618–1680) ⚭ 1633 Franz von Rantzau (1606–1677), master of Salzau
- Ida (1616–1658) ⚭ 1635 Paul von Rantzau (1598–1670), Lord of Bothkamp Doberstorf
- Elephant Order , November 2, 1616 (42nd award)
- Gottfried Heinrich Handelmann : Rantzau, Gerhard . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 27, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1888, p. 278.
- Julius Albert Fridericia: Rantzau, Gert . In: Carl Frederik Bricka (Ed.): Dansk biografisk Lexikon. Tillige omfattende Norge for Tidsrummet 1537-1814. 1st edition. tape 13 : Pelli – Reravius . Gyldendalske Boghandels Forlag, Copenhagen 1899, p. 431-434 (Danish, runeberg.org ).
- Leo Tandrup: Gert Rantzau . In: Svend Cedergreen Bech , Svend Dahl (eds.): Dansk biografisk leksikon . Founded by Carl Frederik Bricka , continued by Povl Engelstoft. 3. Edition. tape 11 : Olsen-Rask . Gyldendal, Copenhagen 1982, ISBN 87-01-77472-7 (Danish, biografiskleksikon.lex.dk ).
- JHF Berlien: The Elephant Order and its knights . Copenhagen 1846, p. 62 ( books.google.de ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Geert Rantzau, gentleman on Breitenburg|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish governor in the royal part of Schleswig-Holstein|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 18, 1558|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 28, 1627|