Gottfried IV. (Lower Lorraine)
Gottfried IV. , Called the Bucklige (* around 1040; † February 27, 1076 ) was Duke of Lower Lorraine from 1069 to 1076. He was a son of Duke Gottfried III. the bearded man from Lower Lorraine and his wife Doda.
For political reasons, Gottfried was married to Mathilde von Tuszien in 1069 , the daughter of Margrave Bonifatius IV of Tuszien and Beatrix von Bar , who in turn had married Gottfried's father as a widow. Gottfried IV and Mathilde had only one child, Beatrix († 1071).
Gottfried IV fought in 1075 near Homburg an der Unstrut in the Saxon War for the king against Duke Magnus of Saxony . Together with Bishop Wilhelm von Utrecht , he drove Count Dietrich V from West Friesland , later Holland .
On February 27, 1076 Gottfried was murdered in Vlaardingen . The deed happened on behalf of the Count of Flanders, Robert the Frisian , against whom he was about to wage war. According to the report of Lambert of Hersfeld Gottfried was during carrying out his call of nature on the garderobe killed. Another tradition added that the perpetrator stuck a dagger into the anus of the duke, whereupon the duke died of the injury. He was buried in the Cathedral of Verdun.
Since Gottfried had no descendants, he had chosen his nephew Gottfried von Bouillon as his successor against Mathilde's opposition . In the subsequent inheritance dispute, the emperor decided his younger son Konrad to be Duke, Count Albert III. Namur was designated as vicedux (vice-duke) and regent. Godfrey of Bouillon could not take over his inheritance until 1088.
- Gottfried IV was also called "pride of the Gauls" ( decus Galliae ) by a chronicler : Georg Heinrich Pertz (Ed.): Annales sancti Iacobi Leodiensis. In: Georg Heinrich Pertz (Ed.): Annales aevi Suevici (= Monumenta Germaniae Historica . 1: Scriptores. 5: Scriptores (in Folio). Vol. 16, ). Hahn, Hannover 1859, pp. 632–683, here p. 639 .
- Ludwig Friedrich Hesse (ed.): Lamberti Hersfeldensis Annales. In: Georg Heinrich Pertz (Ed.): Annales et chronica aevi Salici (= Monumenta Germaniae Historica. 1: Scriptores. 5: Scriptores (in Folio). Vol. 5). Hahn, Hannover 1844, pp. 73–123, here p. 243 , or Oswald Holder-Egger (ed.): Lamberti Hersfeldensis Annales. In: Oswald Holder-Egger (ed.): Lamberti monachi Hersfeldensis Opera (= Monumenta Germaniae Historica. 1: Scriptores. 7: Scriptores rerum Germanicarum in usum scholarum separatim editi. Vol. 38, ). Hahn, Hannover 1894, pp. 1–304, here p. 256 , and Ludwig C. Bethmann , Wilhelm Wattenbach (eds.): Chronicon sancti Huberti Andaginensis. In: Georg Heinrich Pertz (Ed.): Chronica et gesta aevi Salici (= Monumenta Germaniae Historica. 1: Scriptores. 5: Scriptores (in Folio). Vol. 8). Hahn, Hannover 1848, pp. 565–630, here p. 588 .
- Kurt Reindel : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 6, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1964, ISBN 3-428-00187-7 , p. 662 f. ( ).
- Georges Despy: Gottfried IV., The hunchback, Hzg. V. Lower Lorraine . In: Lexicon of the Middle Ages (LexMA). Volume 4, Artemis & Winkler, Munich / Zurich 1989, ISBN 3-7608-8904-2 , Sp. 1598.
- Theodor Lindner : Gottfried III. Gibbosus, Duke of Lower Lorraine . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 9, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1879, p. 470 f.
|Gottfried III. The bearded||
Duke of Lower Lorraine
|Konrad of Franconia|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||the hunchback|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Duke of Lower Lorraine|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1040|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 27, 1076|