Gottfried Mascop (also Godfried Mascop , Gottfried Maschop , Gottfried Maskop , Godefrido Mascop or Latinized: Godefrido Mascopius ; * before 1550 in Emmerich ; † after 1603) was a German cartographer of the second half of the 16th century.
life and work
Between 1572 and 1574, Mascop created an official atlas of the Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel on behalf of Duke Julius von Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (1528–1589) . The atlas covers all the offices of the Principality of that time on 27 maps and contains the earliest representations of the Braunschweig region and large parts of Lower Saxony. The work was considered lost for a long time and was rediscovered in 2009 by scientists from the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen . The map series is in the holdings of the Hildesheim City Archives .
From 1575 he was in the service of Prince-Bishop of Mainz Daniel Brendel von Homburg (1523–1582). On his behalf, he and Peter Kraich (Latinized: Petrus Kraichius ) produced an atlas of the Archbishopric of Mainz in 1576 and 1577 . Even if the survey of the entire area was not completed (only the areas on the left bank of the Rhine were completed) and there is a lack of accuracy, the maps are of great regional historical value. The atlas contains an overview map of the offices of Bingen, Olm and Algesheim on a scale of approx. 1: 100,000, city maps of Bingen and Gau-Algesheim , a local map of Nieder-Olm , district plans of Dietersheim , Dromersheim , Ebersheim , Gau-Algesheim, Gau- Bickelheim , Gau-Bischofsheim , Klein-Winternheim , Laubenheim , Nieder-Olm, Ober-Olm , Ockenheim , Sulzheim , Weisenau and Zornheim as well as a view of the Bonifatiusberg, a total of 19 sheets of cards, plus description pages for the respective cards.
- Map of Westphalia (1568), original missing; Engraver: Franz Hogenberg , published in Theatrum Orbis Terrarum by Abraham Ortelius , Amsterdam 1570, 36 × 25 cm, approx. 1: 500,000; Engraver: Lucas and Johannes von Deutecum, published in Speculum Orbis Terrarum by Gerhard and Cornelis de Jode, Antwerp 1578, 35 × 45 cm, approx. 1: 500,000
- Office atlas of the Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel, (1572–1574), Hildesheim City Archives
- Map of the Archbishopric Mainz (1574), not preserved
- City map of Mainz (1575), 95.5 × 112 cm, State Archives Würzburg , Mainzer Risse und Plans 162
- Map of the area south of the mouth of the Main (1576), 59 × 87.5 cm, approx. 1: 40,000, Hessisches Staatsarchiv Darmstadt , P1 No. 155
- Map of the river Main near Aschaffenburg (undated), 90 × 102 cm, approx. 1: 10,000, State Archives Würzburg, Mainzer Risse und Plans 14
- Atlas of the Mainz offices on the left bank of the Rhine (1577), 40 × 55 cm, State Archives Würzburg, Mainz cracks and plans, wall frame 10
- Uwe Ohainski, Arnd Reitemeier (ed.): The Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel in 1574. The atlas of Gottfried Mascop. Publishing house for regional history, Gütersloh 2012, ISBN 978-3-89534-987-4 .
- Gottfried Kneib: The Kurmainzer cartographer Gottfried Mascop . In: Mainz magazine . Volume 87/88 (1992/93), Zabern-Verlag, Mainz 1995, pp. 209-268, ISBN 3-8053-1711-5 , .
- Reiner Letzner: The atlas of the Mainz offices of Olm, Algesheim and Bingen on the left bank of the Rhine by Gottfried Mascop from 1577 .
- Joseph Prinz: The oldest maps, land registry and land recordings of the Principality of Osnabrück . In: Messages from the Association for History and Regional Studies of Osnabrück . Volume 63, 1948, pp. 251-302 and Volume 64, 1950, pp. 110-145, especially pp. 260-262
- Peter H. Meurer : Godfried Mascop. A German regional cartographer of the 16th century . In: Cartographic News . 32nd volume, issue 5, Bonn Bad Godesberg 1982, pp. 184-192, .
- Peter H. Meurer : Godfried Mascop from Emmerich. A German cartographer of the 16th century . In: Calendar for the Klever Land . Volume 34, 1984, pp. 84-90,
- Robert W. Karrow: Mapmakers of the sixteenth century and their maps. Biobibliographies of the cartographers of Abraham Ortelius, 1570, based on Leo Bagrow's A. Ortelii Catalogus Cartographorum . Speculum Orbis Press, Chicago 1993, pp. 367-370, ISBN 0932757057 .
- The official atlas of the Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel on the website of the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, accessed on November 27, 2012
- The official atlas of the Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel on the website of the city of Braunschweig, accessed on November 27, 2012
- CERL Thesaurus: Maschop, Gottfried (1570−1603)
- Ohainski; Reitemeier
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mascop, Godfried; Maschop, Gottfried; Maskop, Gottfried; Mascop, Godefrido; Mascopius, Godefrido|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cartographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 1550|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Emmerich (today: Emmerich am Rhein )|
|DATE OF DEATH||after 1603|