Forstenzer was a commercial judge in Braunschweig, 1922/24 and 1931/32 President of the Leopold Zunz Lodge and served on the board of the Jewish community . By marrying Lucie-Sara Frank (1893–1988), a daughter of the Jewish department store owner Adolf Frank (1863–1924), after the death of his father-in-law, he and his son Herbert owned the Frank department store , which was one of the largest in the Duchy of Braunschweig and was located at Schuhstrasse 28 at the corner of Stephanstrasse 1.
During the November pogroms launched by the National Socialists from November 9th to 10th, 1938, Forstenzer was arrested in the early hours of the morning together with his twin sons Martin (1921–2008) and Peter (* 1921) and taken to Buchenwald concentration camp . His apartment at Lützowstrasse 6 was vandalized.
The ordinance on the elimination of Jews from German economic life , which came into force on November 12 , then formed the basis for the " Aryanization " of the Adolf Frank department store, which Forstenzer and Frank had to sell to the NSDAP member Karl Stöber that same year .
After his surprise release from the concentration camp at the beginning of December, the entire Forstenzer family (including the eldest son Claus, * 1919) emigrated to the USA on December 9, 1938 . Five days later, the Frank family also emigrated.
- Reinhard Bein : Gustav Forstenzer. In: Life stories of Braunschweig Jews. döringDruck, Braunschweig 2016, ISBN 978-3-925268-54-0 , pp. 236–245.
- Reinhard Bein: Jews in Braunschweig 1900–1945. 2nd Edition. Braunschweig 1988
- Bert Bilzer and Richard Moderhack (eds.): BRUNSVICENSIA JUDAICA. Memorial book for the Jewish fellow citizens of the city of Braunschweig 1933–1945. In: Braunschweiger workpieces. Volume 35, Braunschweig 1966.
- Hans-Jürgen Derda : Forstenzer, Gustav-Elias. In: Horst-Rüdiger Jarck , Günter Scheel (ed.): Braunschweigisches Biographisches Lexikon - 19th and 20th centuries . Hahnsche Buchhandlung, Hannover 1996, ISBN 3-7752-5838-8 , p. 182 .
- Manfred Garzmann , Wolf-Dieter Schuegraf (Ed.): Braunschweiger Stadtlexikon . Supplementary volume. Joh. Heinr. Meyer Verlag, Braunschweig 1996, ISBN 3-926701-30-7 .
- Bert Bilzer and Richard Moderhack (eds.): BRUNSVICENSIA JUDAICA. Memorial book for the Jewish fellow citizens of the city of Braunschweig 1933–1945. In: Braunschweiger workpieces. Volume 35, Braunschweig 1966, p. 165.
- Reinhard Bein: Eternal House. Braunschweig 2004, p. 211.
- Reinhard Bein: Eternal House. Braunschweig 2004, p. 81.
- Obituary in the New York Times, January 2008
- Garzmann, Schuegraf, Pingel: Braunschweiger Stadtlexikon - supplementary volume. Braunschweig 1996, p. 47.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Jewish lawyer and businessman (Braunschweig)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1888|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 30, 1970|
|Place of death||New York City|