The son of the sociologist Eugen Lemberg studied history, German and Slavic studies. After receiving his doctorate in 1959 under Günther Stökl at the University of Cologne with the thesis The National Thoughts of the Decembrists and Habilitation on Eastern European History, he became a professor at the University of Düsseldorf in 1973 . From 1981 until his retirement in 1998, Lemberg taught as professor for Eastern European history at the Philipps University in Marburg. Lviv's academic students include Dittmar Dahlmann , Wolfgang Kessler , Klaus Gestwa , Joachim Hösler , Claudia Kraft and Tatjana Tönsmeyer .
His main research interests were the history of Eastern Europe, especially Bohemia, Russia and Poland. From 1990 to 1996 Lemberg was president of the Johann Gottfried Herder Research Council , member of the board of the Herder Institute and chairman of the German section of the German-Czech and German-Slovak historians' commissions .
An academic commemorative event in honor of Lviv was organized in June 2011 by the Department of History and Cultural Studies at the Philipps University of Marburg and the Herder Institute for Historical Research on East Central Europe. The contributions to the commemorative event were published in issue 1/2014 of the journal for East Central Europe Research .
- Fabian Schild, Jana-Marie Theis: List of publications by Hans Lemberg 1985–2011. In: Journal for East Central Europe Research 63 (2014), pp. 96-103.
- The national world of thought of the Decembrists (= Cologne historical treatises. Vol. 7). Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1963 (at the same time: University of Cologne, dissertation, 1959).
- With an incorruptible eye ... Studies by Hans Lemberg on the history of the Bohemian countries and Czechoslovakia. Celebration for his 65th birthday. (= Publications of the Collegium Carolinum. Vol. 90). Edited by Ferdinand Seibt et al. Oldenbourg, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-486-56347-5 .
- with Margret Lemberg: Heinrich von Hanau. A son of the last Elector of Hesse - his life, his political campaign script and his future maps (= publications of the Historical Commission for Hesse. Small writings, vol. 7). Elwert, Marburg 2003, ISBN 3-7708-1242-5 .
- Eastern Europe in the past and present. Festschrift for Günther Stökl on his 60th birthday. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 1977, ISBN 3-412-05976-5 .
- with Karel Litsch, Richard Georg Patscha, György Ránki : educational history, population history, social history in the Bohemian countries and in Europe. Festschrift for Jan Havránek on the occasion of his 60th birthday. Verlag für Geschichte und Politik, Vienna 1988, ISBN 3-486-54861-1 .
- The year 1919 in Czechoslovakia and East Central Europe. Oldenbourg, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-486-55968-0 .
- Central and Eastern Europe between the two world wars (1918–1939). Strength and weakness of the new states, national minorities. Herder Institute, Marburg 1997, ISBN 3-87969-257-2 .
- with Jan Křen , Dušan Kováč: In the divided Europe. Czechs, Slovaks and Germans and their states 1948–1989. Klartext, Essen 1998, ISBN 3-88474-655-3 .
- Borders in East Central Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries. Current research problems. Herder Institute, Marburg 2000, ISBN 3-87969-275-0 .
- with Włodzimierz Borodziej : "Our homeland has become a foreign country to us ...". The Germans east of Oder and Neisse 1945–1950. Documents from Polish archives (= sources on the history and regional studies of East Central Europe. Vol. 4 / I – 4 / IV). 4 volumes and 1 map. Herder Institute, Marburg 2000-2004.
- Universities in national competition. On the history of the Prague universities in the 19th and 20th centuries (= publications by the Collegium Carolinum. Vol. 86). Oldenbourg, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-486-56392-0 .
- Joachim Hösler , Wolfgang Kessler (Ed.): Finis mundi - End times and world ends in Eastern Europe. Festschrift for Hans Lemberg on his 65th birthday (= sources and studies on the history of Eastern Europe. Vol. 50). Steiner, Stuttgart 1998, ISBN 3-515-07100-8 .
- Eduard Mühle (Ed.): Mentalities - Nations - Tension Fields. Studies on Central and Eastern Europe in the 19th and 20th centuries. Contributions to a colloquium for the 65th birthday of Hans Lemberg (= conferences on East Central Europe research. Vol. 11). Herder Institute, Marburg 2001, ISBN 3-87969-291-2 .
- Manfred Sapper , Volker Weichsel, Stefan Troebst (eds.): Lonely together. The Slavic Idea after Pan-Slavism. In memory of Hans Lemberg (April 28, 1933 - December 3, 2009) (= Eastern Europe. Vol. 59, 2009, no.12 ). Berliner Wissenschafts-Verlag, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-8305-1707-8 .
- Tatjana Tönsmeyer : Hans Lemberg - an obituary. In: Yearbooks for the History of Eastern Europe . New series, vol. 58 (2010), no. 2, p. 319 f. ( online ).
- Literature by and about Hans Lemberg in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by and about Hans Lemberg at Litdok East Central Europe / Herder Institute (Marburg)
- Eckart Conze : Historian Hans Lemberg has passed away: Philipps-Universität mourns the loss of outstanding scholars of national and international reputation , University of Marburg website, December 7, 2009
- Martin Schulze Wessel : Prof. Dr. Hans Lemberg died (1933–2009) , website of the Collegium Carolinum , December 13, 2011
- See review on H-Soz-u-Kult about Hans Lemberg: Commentary on the articles about Eugen Lemberg. In: Bohemia . Vol. 45 (2004), H. 1, pp. 77-92 ( online ).
- Short biography in a press release from the Chemnitz University of Technology, November 9, 2001, accessed on March 14, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 28, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Muenster|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 3, 2009|
|Place of death||Marburg|