Hermann J. Roth
Hermann Josef Roth (born May 12, 1929 in Eisenberg / Pfalz ) is a German pharmacist, university professor and artist. He is professor emeritus for pharmaceutical-medicinal chemistry and former director of the pharmaceutical institutes at the universities of Bonn and Tübingen .
Roth studied pharmacy in Mainz and Würzburg . As an academic student of Harry Auterhoff , he received his doctorate in 1956 . In 1961 he qualified as a professor for pharmacy at the University of Würzburg. Between 1966 and 1983 Roth was director of the Pharmaceutical Institute at the University of Bonn and from 1978 to 1981 President of the German Pharmaceutical Society. From 1983 to 1994 he was Professor of Pharmaceutical-Medicinal Chemistry and Director of the Pharmaceutical Institute at the University of Tübingen.
Roth gained scientific fame primarily as the author or co-author of numerous books on drug synthesis, drugs, drug analysis, stereochemistry of drugs, medicinal chemistry and over 250 original papers that were published in leading scientific journals. As first supervisor, Hermann J. Roth led 120 doctoral students - 32 of them women - from 14 countries to do their doctorates. Six of his academic students completed their habilitation and are now professors at the universities in Bonn, Erlangen, Frankfurt am Main, Freiburg, Leipzig and Zurich.
Artistic Work: Aspects of Molecular Aesthetics
In addition to his scientific work, Roth has been painting and graphics since 1972, with a focus on the visualization of molecular aesthetics, symmetry and chirality (handedness) of chemical substances.
A special chemical reaction (“ dimerization ”) forms bilaterally symmetrical or centrosymmetrical (= rotationally symmetrical) molecules . The latter have a playing card-like aesthetic appearance because the two halves are mirrored twice. The formation of ring-shaped, rotationally symmetrical molecules takes place according to scientific principles. The phenomenon of translation can be observed with linear and three-dimensional polymers . A wide variety of figures are hidden in the crystal lattice of the diamond . Particularly attractive are the considerations on the chirality of natural and medicinal substances, which give the molecules surprising (but now scientifically understood) differences in effect.
Porphyrin - metamorphosis table object (2007)
Dendrimer -2 table object 1000 x 1050
Hypericin drawing (1993) 1200 x 900
Cyclodextrin back glass painting over a drawing
C toxiferin graphic 2000 x 1700
Provitamin A material pressure 1500 x 1060
Essential chromophores 800 x 2150
Knights and robes in diamond lattice 2000 x 1385
Gossypol enantiomers 1000 x 750
Hermann J. Roth's world of thought transcends borders and includes the structural comparison of molecules, words, texts and compositions.
Hermann Josef Roth has been honored many times, including the Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class, the Caspar Borner Medal of the University of Leipzig , the Carl Mannich Medal of the DPhG , the Gold Cross of the Bundeswehr and an honorary doctorate from the Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla , México. He is honorary president of the European Well Society .
- with Gottfried Blaschke: Pharmaceutical Analytics. Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart / New York 1989, ISBN 3-13-548003-8 .
- Water Word Games. Cheerful, stimulating, thoughtful, amazing and interesting facts about the word and term water. Self-published, 2009, ISBN 978-3-923117-29-1 .
- Natural substances: molecular playing cards. Self-published, 2009, ISBN 978-3-00-027794-8 .
- Shapes and colors - shape inventions - color inversions. Self-published, 2012, ISBN 978-3-00-039671-7 .
- Our daily poison. Hirzel-Verlag, 2013, ISBN 978-3-7776-2346-7 .
- Bankers and bankers. IFB Verlag German Language, 2013, ISBN 978-3-942409-35-3 .
- I don't know what is it supposed to mean. IFB-Verlag German language, ISBN 978-3-942409-40-7 .
- Puns. IFB-Verlag German language, ISBN 978-3-942409-50-6 .
- 14 essays on molecular aesthetics. In: Deutsche Apothekerzeitung. 2006 to 2009.
- 16 essays on color. In: Deutsche Apothekerzeitung. 2011 to 2012.
- as ed. with Paul Heinz List, Ludwig Hörhammer and Walter Schmid: Hager's manual of pharmaceutical practice for pharmacists, drug manufacturers, doctors and medical officials. 4th edition, started by Walther Kern , with an index volume, edited by Paul Heinz List. Berlin / Heidelberg / New York 1967–1980.
- Hermann Josef Roth - A Walk Between Science and Art , accessed on September 26, 2018.
- Hermann J. Roth and Axel Kleemann : Pharmaceutical Synthesis , Thieme Verlag , 2nd edition, 1982, ISBN 978-3-13-632901-6 .
- Hermann J. Roth, Axel Kleemann and T. Beiswenger: Drug Synthesis , Ellis Horwood Chichester and New York, 1985, ISBN 0-470-21037-0 .
- Hermann J. Roth and Helmut Fenner: Pharmaceuticals , Deutscher Apotheker Verlag , 3rd edition, 2000, ISBN 978-3-7692-2614-0 .
- Kurt Eger, Reinhard Troschütz and Hermann J. Roth: Drug Analysis: Reactivity - Stability - Analysis , Deutscher Apotheker Verlag, 6th edition, 2006, ISBN 978-3-7692-3761-0 .
- Hermann J. Roth, Christa E. Müller and Gerd Folkers: Stereochemistry and Drugs. Basics - Considerations - Effects , Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft, 1998, ISBN 978-3-8047-1485-4 .
- Dieter Steinhilber, Manfred Schubert-Zsilavecz and Hermann J. Roth: Medicinal Chemistry: Targets and Drugs: Targets - Drugs - Chemical Biology , Deutscher Apotheker Verlag, 2nd edition, 2010, ISBN 978-3-7692-5002-2 .
- Herbert Pichler (editor): Between science and art: Hermann Josef Roth - Portrait of a life that is not only scientific , Deutscher Apotheker Verlag, 1998, ISBN 978-3-7692-2212-8 .
|SURNAME||Roth, Hermann J.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Roth, Hermann Joseph (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German pharmaceutical chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 12, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Eisenberg / Palatinate|