Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones FBA (born September 21, 1922 in Saint Peter Port , † October 5, 2009 in Wellesley , Massachusetts ) was a British classical scholar .
Lloyd-Jones attended the Lycée Français and Westminster School in London and then studied at the College Christ Church in Oxford . During the Second World War he was stationed in India as 2nd Lieutenant of the Intelligence Corps, and in 1944 he was promoted to Captain. After the war ended, he was released from military service in 1946. After studying classical philology at Jesus College at Cambridge University for two years , he was made a Fellow there in 1948. In 1950 he became an assistant lecturer and in 1952 a full-time lecturer at the university. In 1954 he moved to Corpus Christi College , Oxford, where he was EP Warren Praelector of Classical Philology. In Oxford he also became acquainted with Paul Maas . From 1960 he was Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford University . In 1989 he was retired and raised as a Knight Bachelor ("Sir") to the nobility.
Lloyd-Jones was among other things co-editor of the monograph series Hypomnemata . In 1966 he became a member ( fellow ) of the British Academy . In 1978 he was admitted to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and in 1992 to the American Philosophical Society . Since 1992 he has been a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . He received several honorary doctorates, including that of the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Göttingen (May 29, 2002).
In his first marriage, Hugh Lloyd-Jones was married to Frances Hedley since 1953, with whom he has two sons and a daughter. After the divorce in 1981 he married the American classical scholar Mary Lefkowitz in 1982 .
- (Ed., Transl.): Females of the Species: Semonides on Women . Park Ridge, NJ, Noyes, 1975.
- Myths of the Zodiac . New York, St. Martin's, 1978.
- Mythical Beasts . London: Duckworth, 1980.
- Classical Survivals. The Classics in the Modern World . London, Duckworth, 1982.
- The Justice of Zeus (= Sather Classical Lectures , no. 41). Berkeley, University of California Press, 1971, second edition 1983.
- Blood for the Ghosts. Classical Influences in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries . Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1983.
- Supplementum Hellenisticum. Ediderunt Hugh Lloyd-Jones and Peter J. Parsons . Indices confecit Heinz-Günther Nesselrath . Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / New York, 1983 (texts and comments, 11), ISBN 3-11-008171-7 . Google Books: 
- Greek Comedy, Hellenistic Literature, Greek Religion, and Miscellanea. The Academic Papers of Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones . Oxford, Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990.
- Sophoclis Fabulae . Recognoverunt brevique adnotatione critica instruxerunt H. Lloyd-Jones et NG Wilson . Clarendon Press, Oxford 1990.
- with Nigel Guy Wilson: Sophoclea. Studies on the Text of Sophocles . Oxford, Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990.
- Greek Epic, Lyric, and Tragedy. The Academic Papers of Sir Hugh Lloyd Jones Oxford, Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press, 1990.
- Greek in a Cold Climate . London, Duckworth, 1991.
- with Nigel Guy Wilson: Sophocles. Second Thoughts (= Hypomnemata. Studies on antiquity and their afterlife , Volume 100). Göttingen, Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1997.
- Supplementum Supplementi Hellenistici. By Hugh Lloyd-Jones. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / New York, 2005 (texts and comments, 26), ISBN 3-11-018537-7 . Google Books: 
- Nigel Wilson : Peter Hugh Jefferd Lloyd-Jones . In: Proceedings of the British Academy 172, 2011, pp. 215-229.
- Literature by and about Hugh Lloyd-Jones in the catalog of the German National Library
- Obituary of the Daily Telegraph (English)
- Press release on the award of an honorary doctorate by the University of Göttingen
- ^ Member History: Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones. American Philosophical Society, accessed January 5, 2019 .
- ^ Sir Hugh Lloyd-Jones obituary in the 2010 yearbook of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (PDF file).
|Eric Robertson Dodds||
Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford University
|Peter J. Parsons|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lloyd-Jones, Peter Hugh Jefferd|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 21, 1922|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Saint Peter Port|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 5, 2009|
|Place of death||Wellesley, Massachusetts|