Live and act
Elbogen was initially trained by his uncle Jakob Levy , the author of the New Hebrew Dictionary , later at the grammar school and from 1893 at the Jewish Theological Seminary in Wroclaw and at the University of Wroclaw , where he received his doctorate in 1898 . He received his rabbi diploma in 1899 and became a lecturer in Biblical Exegesis and Jewish History at the Collegio Rabbinico Italiano in Florence . Since 1902 private lecturer and rector of the University for the Science of Judaism in Berlin , he was appointed Prussian professor in 1919. Among other things, he worked on the 5-volume Jewish Lexicon (1927–30) and published ten volumes of the Encyclopaedia Judaica from 1928 to 1934 . In addition, he had been a member of the Germania Judaica staff since 1934 and was co-editor of the magazine for the history of Jews in Germany (New Series, Philo-Verlag , Berlin, 1929 to 1937). After 1933 he was a member of the Reich Representation of German Jews , whose education committee he chaired.
Ismar Elbogen was married to the older sister of the conductor Otto Klemperer , Regina "Regi" Klemperer.
After emigrating to the United States in 1938, he taught there until his death at the Jewish Institute of Religion in New York, as well as at the Jewish Theological Seminary and the Hebrew Union College .
- The Tractatus de Intellectus Emendatione and its position within Spinoza's philosophy , Th.Schatzky / Dissertation Breslau 1898
- In Commemorazione di SD Luzzatto , Florence 1901
- The Latest Construction in Jewish History , Breslau 1902
- History of the Eighteen Prayer (award-winning publication), 1903 ( digitized UB Frankfurt ), in: Monthly Journal for History and Science of Judaism 46 (NF 10), H. 7/8 (1902), pp. 330–358 ( jstor )
- The religious beliefs of the Pharisees , Berlin 1904 (against Harnack , Bousset and others)
- The historical development of Jewish worship , Fock, Leipzig 1913 ( digitized archive.org , UB Frankfurt ); Frankfurt / M. 2nd edition 1924 ( digitized UB Frankfurt ); 3rd edition 1931 (reprint Olms, Hildesheim et al. 1995), pp. 115–117 (also available from Google Books ). (authoritative standard work, based on Zunzen's preliminary work; in English translation: Jewish Liturgy: A Comprehensive History , trans. Raymond P. Scheindlin , The Jewish Publication Society of America, Philadelphia 1993; in Hebrew translation 1972).
- History of the Jews since the fall of the Jewish state , 1st edition 1919, 2nd edition Leipzig / Berlin 1920 ( digitized archive.org )
- several articles in: Association for writings on Jewish religion founded by the Association of German Jews (ed.): Die Lehren des Judentums (4 parts), Schwetschke, Berlin 1925 ( digitized UB Frankfurt ).
- Figures and moments from Jewish history , Welt-Verlag, Berlin 1927 ( digitized UB Frankfurt )
- The history of the Jews in Germany , Berlin 1935 (new ed. 1966 by E. Sterling )
- A Century of Jewish Life , Philadelphia 1944 (posthumously). German edition:
- A Century of Jewish Life - The History of Modern Judaism . Edited by Ellen Littmann, European Publishing House, Frankfurt 1967.
- Jeannette Strauss Almstad, Matthias Wolfes : Ismar Elbogen. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 19, Bautz, Nordhausen 2001, ISBN 3-88309-089-1 , Sp. 221-234.
- Werner Röder; Herbert A. Strauss (Ed.): International Biographical Dictionary of Central European Emigrés 1933-1945 . Volume 2.1. Munich: Saur, 1983 ISBN 3-598-10089-2 , p. 256
- Elbogen, Ismar. In: Lexicon of German-Jewish Authors . Volume 6: Dore – Fein. Edited by the Bibliographia Judaica archive. Saur, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-598-22686-1 , pp. 255-273.
- Works by and about Ismar Elbogen in the JCS University Library Frankfurt am Main: Digital Collections Judaica
- Literature by and about Ismar Elbogen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Ismar Elbogen in the German Digital Library
- Estate (overview page linked to digital copies on archive.org )
- Otto Dov Kulka (ed.): Documents on the history of the Reich representation of German Jews 1933–1939 (= German Judaism under National Socialism, Volume 1). Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, 1997, ISBN 3-16-146413-3 .
- Heyworth, Peter: Otto Klemperer his life and times . tape 1: 1885-1933 . Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1983, pp. 43, 417, 467 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German-Jewish scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 1, 1874|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ostrzeszów formerly Schildberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 1, 1943|
|Place of death||New York City|