Jessie George honey
Jessie George Schatz , nickname Bubi , (born August 12, 1954 in Offenbach , † August 9, 1996 in Escambia County , Florida , USA ) was a German-American staff sergeant in the US military liaison mission Neu Fahrland ( Potsdam ).
Schatz was the driver of Major Arthur Nicholson on the fateful reconnaissance tour on March 24, 1985 in the GDR area to Techentin near Ludwigslust , Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania , during which Nicholson was shot by a Soviet guard. Ssgt. With more than 150 reconnaissance trips in the GDR, Schatz was one of the most experienced members of the US Military Liaison Mission (USMLM). After Nicholson's death, Schatz had to testify as a witness before a total of six US investigative committees. Charles J. Fiala, Chief of Staff of the 7th US Army (USAREUR), described Schatz as the "most famous sergeant in the US Army " .
The GDR Ministry for State Security monitored Schatz every step of the way for ten years, placed several unofficial employees in his vicinity, had private documents stolen, read his letters, monitored the private telephone connection and terrorized him and his family. In 1979 and 1986, two attempts by the Soviet secret service KGB to recruit Schatz as an agent failed .
Schatz was married and had two children. His grave is in Memory Park Cemetery in Milton, Santa Rosa County, Florida .
- 1972: Joined the US Army
- 1979–1982: Driver with the USMLM Neu Fahrland (Detachment A / 10th Special Forces Group of the US Army / US Berlin Brigade)
- 1982–1984: Fort Still / Oklahoma City
- 1984–1989: Driver at USMLM Neu Fahrland, from 1986 economic manager at Potsdam House
- 1989/90: Volksfest Branch Public Affairs Office USCOB ( German-American Volksfest )
- Matthias Heisig (Red.): Mission accomplished - the military liaison missions of the Western powers in Potsdam from 1946 to 1990. Catalog for the special exhibition of the Allied Museum from March 26, 2004 to August 31, 2004, Berlin 2004
- Klaus Behling : Spies in Uniform - The Allied Military Missions in Germany. ISBN 3-89850-121-3
- Söhnke Streckel: Licensed Espionage - The Allied Military Liaison Missions and the MfS. LStU Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg 2008
- SSN 447-56-3970, SSN Death Index
- Enemy is watching , Die Zeit 24/2007, June 7, 2007
- Weinberger on Nicholson's slaying ( Memento from January 24, 2002 in the Internet Archive ), USMLM website (English)
|SURNAME||Honey, Jessie George|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German-American staff sergeant|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 12, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Offenbach|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 9, 1996|
|Place of death||Escambia County , Florida, United States|