Joachim Ullrich (physicist)
Joachim Hermann Ullrich (born June 2, 1956 in Edenkoben ) is a German physicist and university professor . Ullrich has been President of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) in Braunschweig since January 1, 2012 .
Ullrich studied Geophysics and Physics at the University of Frankfurt , where, after graduating in 1983 and 1987, Horst Schmidt-Böcking doctorate and over 1,994 recoil ion momentum spectroscopy (RIMS) habilitation . After working for the Society for Heavy Ion Research (1989 to 1994), he went to Kansas State University in Manhattan as a visiting scientist and visiting professor at the University of Missouri in Rolla in 1995 . In 1997 he accepted a full professorship at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg . In 2001 he moved to the Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg as Director and Scientific Member and has also been an honorary professor at the Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg since 2002, and since 2003 he has also been a Consultant Professor at the Fudan University in Shanghai .
Awards and other offices
- Ullrich was awarded the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the German Research Foundation in 1999.
- In 2004 he was awarded the David Bates Medal by the London Institute of Physics .
- In 2006, together with Robert Moshammer, he received the Philip Morris Research Prize for the development of the reaction microscope, a combined electron-recoil ion spectrometer, with which few-particle processes (e.g. collisions of electrons with ions, chemical reactions or the electron emissions after laser excitation of atoms ) in atomic and molecular physics can be observed more precisely than before in terms of their kinematics. The device is an analogue in atomic physics to the bubble chamber in elementary particle physics. The end products are directed to large-area detectors by means of electric and magnetic fields. They built on a development initiated by Ullrich's doctoral supervisor Horst Schmidt-Böcking .
- Ullrich has been a member of the American Physical Society since 2007 . In 2008 he was named a "Fellow" by her.
- In 2010 he was awarded the Silver Badge of Honor from the German Electron Synchrotron Research Center.
- As President of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, he has been Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Helmholtz Fund since 2012.
- In 2013, Ullrich was elected as a second deputy in the Presidium of the German Institute for Standardization and a member of the German Academy of Engineering Sciences .
- As part of the Meter Convention , Ullrich also became a member of the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM), whose “Consultative Committee for Units” (CCU) he has been President since the beginning of 2014.
- In 2015 he was elected to the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences .
- 2017 Federal Cross of Merit 1st class
- 2018 honorary doctorate from Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover
- Multiple ionization in high-energy heavy ion collisions. (= Dissertation, University of Frankfurt 1987). OCLC 46082486 .
- Recoil ion pulse spectroscopy a new way to study the dynamics of atomic reactions. (= Habilitation thesis, Frankfurt 1993) Society for Heavy Ion Research, Darmstadt 1994, OCLC 180601460 .
- Atoms in extreme virtual photon fields of fast, highly charged ions. Society for Heavy Ion Research, Darmstadt 1999, OCLC 76378171 .
- Ullrich's website at the MPIK
- Prof. Dr. Joachim H. Ullrich - President of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt on ptb.de.
- PTB press release: Change at the top of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt to ptb.de, accessed on September 27, 2013.
- Reaction microscope at the Quasar Group in Heidelberg kip.uni-heidelberg.de
- J. Ullrich, R. Moshammer, A. Dorn, R. Dörner, L. Ph. H. Schmidt, Horst Schmidt-Böcking: Recoil-ion and electron momentum spectroscopy: reaction-microscopes. Rep. Prog. Phys., Vol. 66, 2003, pp. 1463-1545.
- R. Dörner, V. Mergel, O. Jagutzki, L. Spielberger, J. Ullrich, R. Moshammer, H. Schmidt-Böcking: Cold Target Recoil Ion Momentum Spectroscopy: A Momentum Microscope to View Atomic Collision Dynamics. Physics Reports, Volume 330, 2000, pp. 95-192.
- History of the reaction microscope on the Ullrich Group's website at mpi-hd.mpg.de, accessed on September 27, 2013
- Prof. Dr. Joachim Ullrich at mpi-hd.mpg.de, accessed on September 27, 2013
- Foundation Werner-von-Siemens-Ring || Chairman of the Ullrich Board of Trustees
- Prof. Dr. Joachim H. Ullrich - PTB.de
- Imke Frischmuth: PTB President Joachim Ullrich receives the Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class. Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB), press release from May 17, 2017 at Informationsdienst Wissenschaft (idw-online.de), accessed on May 17, 2017.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ullrich, Joachim Hermann|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 2, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Edenkoben|