Flumenthal power plant
|Flumenthal power plant|
Alpiq : 62.1%
BKW Energie : 37.9%
|Start of operation||1970|
|Bottleneck performance||27 megawatts|
height of fall
|Expansion flow||350 m³ / s|
|Standard work capacity||146 million kWh / year|
|Turbines||3 × bulb turbines|
The Flumenthal power station is a low-pressure - hydropower plant on the river Aare in the canton of Solothurn in Switzerland . Although the power plant bears the name of the municipality of Flumenthal , it is located in the neighboring municipality of Riedholz SO .
As part of the second Jura water correction , the bed of the Aare between Büren a. A. and Flumenthal expanded and the Flumenthal power plant built to regulate the water level of the Aare between Lake Biel and Solothurn , thus protecting the region from flooding. Since part of the damming came to lie in the area of the canton of Bern , BKW Energie had 37.9% right to use the facility, and the canton of Solothurn 62.1%. The rights of use for Solothurn were initially exercised by Aare-Tessin Aktiengesellschaft für Elektrizität (Atel), which merged with Alpiq Holding in 2009.
The power plant was built in an excavation north of the Aare, and after the construction work was finished, the river was diverted so that it flowed through the weir with the power plant. Operations began in 1970, and in 1979 a system for removing flotsam was added. Between 2006 and 2009, the power plant was modernized for 30 million francs and production increased by 6%. This was made possible by installing larger turbine wheels and increasing the flow cross-section.
The power plant consists of a weir system with three 12.5 m wide openings and the machine house with the three bulb turbines . By using this type of turbine, the building is very low and therefore less noticeable in the landscape. The first turbines each had an output of 7.8 MW. During the renovation, they were replaced by those with an output of 9 MW each.
- M. Künzler: The Flumenthal power plant on the Aare . In: Schweizerische Bauzeitung . 1970, doi : 10.5169 / seals-84490 ( e-periodica.ch ).
- Flumenthal power station. Aarestrom, accessed on April 27, 2019 .
- Numbers & facts about production. BKW Energie, 2019 .
- Flumenthal run-of-river power station. Alpiq
- Flumenthal river power station produces additional electricity for 1,750 households. Alpiq, August 19, 2009 .
- Federal Office for Water Management (Ed.): Statistics of hydropower plants in Switzerland . January 1, 1973 (Appendix No. 274).