La vache qui lit
The La vache qui lit was a children's and youth book prize that was awarded under this name from 1976 to 2001 by the children's bookshop in Zurich. The French name La vache qui lit (German: “the cow that reads”) is a modification of the brand name La vache qui rit (German: “the cow that laughs”) of a well-known French cheese spread.
The prize has been awarded again since 2017 under the name of the Zurich Children's Book Prize. “New children's books aimed at children of primary school age” are to be awarded. The prize is endowed with 5000 Swiss Francs. In 2017, Enno Anders was honored by Astrid Frank (recommended for young readers aged 10 and over), in 2018 Ein Sommer in Sommerby by Kirsten Boie and in 2019 Sonne, Moon and Sterne by Lara Schützsack (recommended for ages 10 and up).
|year||Author||Title of the work|
|1977||Hans Christian Kirsch (stage name: Frederik Hetmann )||Lorcan goes to war|
Ben loves Anna
Sofie makes stories
I'm hungry - I'm thirsty
Willi ferryman Ursula Lehmann-Gugolz
|Anne wants to be a twin|
The last children of Schewenborn
Birgit. A story of dying
|1984||Gudrun Mebs||Sunday child|
Nelly is waiting for peace
Martin Wimmer and total war The red sailors
|1987||Rafik Schami||A hand full of stars|
|1989||Inge Meyer-Dietrich||Plascha or About little people and big dreams|
With one's back to the wall
Colorado beetle times
There is a fire in the floodplain
When luck comes, you have to put a chair for him
|1998||Sigrid Zeevaert||A sea full of stars|
|1999||Sheila Och (posthumous)|
Nominations for the shortlist
- After a 16-year break: Zurich Children's Book Prize is being reissued on boersenblatt.net, August 24, 2017, accessed on August 25, 2017
- New edition of the Zurich Children's Book Prize: Astrid Frank wins with "Enno Anders" on boersenblatt.net, September 25, 2017, accessed on September 26, 2017
- Boie wins Zurich Children's Book Prize , boersenblatt.net, published and accessed on October 29, 2018
- Zurich Children's Book Prize 2019 , lesestoff.ch, accessed on December 20, 2019
- Zurich Children's Book Prize: These are the finalists , boersenblatt.net, July 8, 2019, accessed on December 20, 2019
- List of the award winners 1977 to 1986 in “Kürschner's German Literature Calendar” . 60th year 1988. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1988, p. 1620.
- List of the winners from 1989 to 2001 in “Kürschner's German Literature Calendar” . 64th year 2004/2005. Saur, Leipzig 2005, p. 1620.
- Elisabeth Zöllner: Awards and prizes (a selection). Accessed on January 16, 2017.