Marie of Prussia (1579–1649)
Marie was the second daughter of Duke Albrecht Friedrich of Prussia (1553–1618) from his marriage to Marie Eleonore (1550–1608), daughter of Duke Wilhelm the Rich of Jülich-Kleve-Berg . The princess grew up with her sisters in Königsberg Castle .
She married the Margrave Christian of Brandenburg-Bayreuth (1581–1655) on April 29, 1604 at the Plassenburg . Since her father did not leave a male heir, there were disputes about Marie's severance payment for Prussia but also for Jülich-Kleve-Berg. Marie acquired the manors Schreez and Culmberg near Haag in 1613 . She used the income to expand the Unterschreez Castle as her widow's residence. Due to the Thirty Years' War , which for Marie and her family in Franconia was characterized by flight and privation, the property fell into disrepair.
Marie is buried in the town church of Bayreuth , for which she donated the high altar.
From their marriage, Marie had the following children:
- Elisabeth Eleonore (* / † 1606)
- Georg Friedrich (* / † 1608)
- Anna Maria (1609–1680)
- ⚭ 1639 Prince Johann Anton I von Eggenberg (1610–1649)
- Agnes Sophie (* / † 1611)
- Magdalena Sibylle (1612–1687)
- ⚭ 1638 Elector Johann Georg II of Saxony (1613–1680)
- Christian Ernst (1613-1614)
- Erdmann August (1615–1651), Hereditary Prince of Brandenburg-Bayreuth
- ⚭ 1641 Princess Sophie of Brandenburg-Ansbach (1614–1646), daughter of Joachim Ernst (Brandenburg-Ansbach)
- Georg Albrecht (1619–1666), (non-ruling) Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach (branch line)
- ⚭ 1. 1651 Princess Marie Elisabeth of Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (1628–1664)
- ⚭ 2. 1665 Countess Sophie Marie zu Solms-Baruth (1626–1688)
- Friedrich Wilhelm (* / † 1620)
- Julius Mebes : Contributions to the history of the Brandenburg-Prussian state and army. Volume 1. Berlin, Lüderitz 1861, p. 863 .
- Ute Essegern: Princesses at the Electoral Saxon Court. Concepts of life and life courses between family, court and politics in the first half of the 17th century. Hedwig of Denmark, Sibylla Elisabeth of Württemberg and Magdalena Sibylla of Prussia (= writings on Saxon history and folklore. 19). Leipziger Universitätsverlag, Leipzig 2007, ISBN 978-3-86583-074-6 , p. 266.
- On the history of the municipality of Haag. ( Memento from April 29, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
|SURNAME||Marie of Prussia|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Mary of Prussia|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Margravine of Brandenburg-Bayreuth|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 23, 1579|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Koenigsberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 11, 1649|
|Place of death||Bayreuth|