City of Wasungen
|Height :||450 m|
|Area :||16.18 km²|
|Residents :||654 (Dec. 31, 2017)|
|Population density :||40 inhabitants / km²|
|Incorporation :||1st January 2019|
|Postal code :||98634|
|Area code :||03693|
Metzels is on the north-western edge of the Dolmar on a high plateau.
The place was first mentioned in 1228. It originally belonged to the Fulda Monastery . The place came in the first half of the 15th century to the Henneberg office Wasungen , which was in the Franconian Empire from 1500 . From 1680 it belonged to the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen . Until the division of the county Henneberg in 1660, jurisdiction was still on the centering running Meiningen, only then the place came to court Wasungen.
According to the chronical tradition of the 16th century, a battle in the war between the Counts of Henneberg and the Bishopric of Würzburg is said to have been fought near Metzels in the year 1228 , in which Count Heinrich von Beichlingen and Heinrich II. Von Sternberg as allies of the Bishop of Count Poppo VII von Henneberg were defeated after they had been taken by surprise from Meiningen through the Wallbachgrund.
A case of witch hunts is reported from Metzels in 1673 : a man.
On the night of 14 February 1945 was Halifax bomber of the Royal Air Force shot down with the identifier MZ803 (KN-G) by a German night fighter. Parts of the machine came down on the territory of the municipality of Metzels.
On January 1, 2019, the Metzels community was incorporated into the city of Wasungen. She belonged to the administrative community Wasungen-Amt Sand .
The council from Metzels consisted of 8 councilors.
- FDP / FW 5 seats
- FW Metzels 3 seats
(Status: local elections on June 27, 2004)
The honorary mayor Herbert Kühlhorn was elected on June 27, 2004.
Culture and sights
- Excursion restaurant Oberwallbachsmühle in a historic mill building
- St. Nikolai (Metzels)
- characteristic half-timbered house in the local area
- Cherry fair in July, which had its origins in the former cultivation of sweet cherries in the municipality.
- Traditional costume fair, always at the end of September
- Johann Gottfried Vierling (1750–1813), composer
- Metzels in Rhon lexicon .
- Kai Lehmann : Innocent. Witch hunt south of the Thuringian Forest. Over 500 researched cases from the 16th and 17th centuries. Wehry-Verlag, Untermaßfeld 2012, ISBN 978-3-9813902-8-5 , p. 241 f .; Kai Lehmann: Exhibition "Luther and the Witches". Metzels division, Library Museum Schloss Wilhelmsburg Schmalkalden, 2012; Ronald Füssel: The persecution of witches in the Thuringian area (= publications of the working group for historical witchcraft and crime research in Northern Germany. Vol. 2). DOBU-Verlag, Hamburg 2003, ISBN 3-934632-03-3 , p. 247, (also: Marburg, Universität, Dissertation, 2000).
- Lothar Günther: The air war between Rhön and Rennsteig. Bombings, dogfights and plane crashes in the years 1944–1945 as reflected in the entire course of the war. Resch, Meiningen 2010, ISBN 978-3-940295-09-5 , p. 262.