Mr. Magorium's Wonder Shop
|German title||Mr. Magorium's Wonder Shop|
|Original title||Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium|
|Country of production||United States|
|length||approx. 94 minutes|
James Garavente ,
Richard N. Gladstein
Alexandre Desplat ,
Sabrina Plisco ,
Molly Mahoney is the manager of the toy store, Mr. Magoriums Wonder Shop . The owner is Edward Magorium, who is over 200 years old and has run the business for over 100 years. He hires accountant Henry Weston to investigate the value of the store because he plans to leave the world.
The initially colored shop, in which the toys are brought to life through magic, is increasingly gray, because it has its own personality and, like Mahoney, does not want Magorium to leave it.
After his death, she wants to sell the shop, believing she doesn't have the magic. In the end she finds the strength she needs to save the grieving shop.
Sheri Linden wrote in The Hollywood Reporter on November 15, 2007, that the quirkiness of the film seems forced (" the whimsy feels forced "). Linden praised the “ fiery ” special effects, costumes and backdrops. The characters could have had more substance.
Brian Lowry wrote in Variety magazine on November 12, 2007 that the " brilliant " film was showered with " enchanting moments " but could not win over adults. Dustin Hoffman brings warmth into his " central " role.
The lexicon of the international film judges: “ A tragic comedy bursting with imaginative details, which in its hectic pace and breathlessness leaves little room for the magic that it praises as the greatest good. The fantasy film, made with an abundance of computer animation, therefore remains rather unemotional despite the beautiful moments. "
The film was shot in Toronto . It opened in Brazilian cinemas on November 15, 2007, and in Canadian and US cinemas on November 16, 2007. The German theatrical release was on December 6, 2007. By November 27, 2007, the film played almost 60 million worldwide US dollars , including approximately $ 31.93 million in US theaters.
- Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium atRotten Tomatoes(English)
- Mr. Magoriums Wonder Shop at Metacritic (English)
- Release for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Shop . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry , November 2007 (PDF; test number: 112 274 K).
- Age rating for Mr. Magorium's wonder shop . Youth Media Commission .
- Film review by Brian Lowry, accessed on November 29, 2007 ( Memento from December 5, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Journal film-dienst and Catholic Film Commission for Germany (eds.), Horst Peter Koll and Hans Messias (ed.): Lexikon des Internationale Films - Filmjahr 2007 . Schüren Verlag, Marburg 2008. ISBN 978-3-89472-624-9
- Filming locations for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, accessed November 29, 2007
- Opening dates for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, accessed November 29, 2007
- boxofficemojo.com: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007) , accessed February 10, 2008