Municipio of San Agustin
|Municipio of San Agustin|
- population density
|1684 inhabitants (2012 census)
1 inhabitant / km²
|province||Enrique Baldivieso Province|
|Central place||San Agustin|
Location of the municipality of San Agustín
in the Department of Potosí
Avaroa climate diagram
Location in the vicinity
The municipality of San Agustín is the only municipality in the province of Enrique Baldivieso . It lies between 21 ° 03 'and 21 ° 51' south latitude and between 67 ° 07 'and 67 ° 48' west longitude . In the east, north, west and south it is almost completely surrounded by the province of Nor Lípez , only in the south-east it borders on the province of Sur Lípez for a distance of about 20 kilometers . The municipality extends over a total of about 120 kilometers from northwest to southeast and has a mean width of 35 kilometers. The capital of the municipality is San Agustín with 639 inhabitants ( 2012 census ).
The municipality of San Agustín is located on the Bolivian Altiplano between the Andes mountain ranges of the Cordillera Occidental in the west and the Cordillera de Lípez in the southeast. The climate in this region in the southwest of the country is arid , only from January to March there is significant rainfall between 10 and 30 mm per month (see climate diagram Avaroa), in the remaining nine months there is only sporadic rainfall. The mean annual temperature of the region is around 7 ° C, the monthly mean temperatures fluctuate only slightly between 3 ° C in July and 10 ° C in January.
The population of the municipality of San Agustín has increased by a third in the past two decades:
- 1992 : 1,313 inhabitants ( census )
- 2001 : 1,640 inhabitants (census)
- 2010 : 1,684 inhabitants (census)
The population density of the municipality at the 2012 census was 0.7 inhabitants / km², the proportion of the urban population is 0 percent. 72 percent of the population work in agriculture, 28 percent in services. ( 2001 )
The proportion of the population aged under 15 is 46.5 percent. The life expectancy of newborns is 59 years. ( 2001 )
The literacy rate among those over 19 is 85 percent, 97 percent for men and 76 percent for women. The most important idiom with a share of 96 percent is Quechua , 86 percent of the population speak Spanish . ( 2001 ) 95 percent of the population are Catholic, 2 percent Protestant. ( 1992 )
99.7 percent of the population have no access to electricity, 99 percent live without sanitary facilities. ( 2001 )
Results of the elections for the municipal council ( concejales del municipio ) in the regional elections on April 4, 2010:
The municipality is divided into the following cantons :
- 05-1601-01 Canton of San Agustín - 6 localities - 1,045 inhabitants
- 05-1601-02 Canton Alota - 7 localities - 440 inhabitants
- 05-1601-03 Canton Cerro Gordo - 1 village - 199 inhabitants
- 05-1601-04 Canton of Todos Santos
Localities in the municipality of San Agustín
- Canton of Alota
- Alota 436 pop.
- Cerro Gordo Canton
- Cerro Gordo 199 pop.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) 1992
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) 2001
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) 2012 ( Memento of the original of July 22, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Acta de computo Nacional Electoral Departamentales, Municipales y Regional 2010
- Municipio San Agustín - general maps No. 51601
- Municipio San Agustín - detailed map and population data (PDF; 708 kB) ( Spanish )
- Department Potosí - social data of the municipalities (PDF; 5.23 MB) ( Spanish )