Pascal Ory (born July 31, 1948 in Fougères , Département Ille-et-Vilaine ) is a French historian of contemporary history . He is a university professor at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne .
Pascal Ory was born in Fougères in Brittany, the son of a journalist.
Ory studied history with Jean Delumeau in Rennes and René Rémond in Nanterre . After a teaching traineeship (1970–1972) and working as an assistant at the École supérieure de guerre (1972–1973), he was attaché de recherches at the CNRS from 1973 to 1976 and a scholarship from the Thiers Foundation at the Institut de France . From 1976 to 1979 he worked as a secondary school teacher at a college .
In 1976 he became Maître de conférences at the elite university Institut d'études politiques de Paris (SciencesPo) and remained in this position until 1998. From 1979 to 1991, he held a position as assistant for contemporary history (Assistant d'histoire contemporaine) at the University of Paris-Nanterre . He was also a lecturer at the Institut national des langues et civilizations orientales (1987 to 1992) and the University of Paris-Dauphine (1991 to 1995). Ory has been Chargé de conférence at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (Ehess) since 1995 . From 1991 to 1998 he was a university professor at the University of Versailles , and since 1997 he has been at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne .
A significant part of Ory's academic work deals with the French history of the 1930s and 1940s, that is, the time of the front populaire as well as the German occupation, the Vichy regime and the collaboration in the Second World War . Ory also deals with numerous aspects of the cultural history of the 20th century.
Culture and media
As a lover of Franco-Belgian comics , he has a column on this subject in the literary magazine Lire ; He is also chairman of the jury of the Prix de la Bande dessinée historique (Prize for historical comics) of the history festival Rendez-vous de l'histoire de Blois founded by Jack Lang .
Since 1977 he has hosted a program on current topics on the radio station France Culture . At the same station a play written by him in 1983 with the title Mélancolies du 29 mai was broadcast, in which he addresses May 1968 . Since 1982 he worked for television as a consultant on historical issues.
From 1991 to 1993 he worked in the cabinet of the State Secretary for Major Projects (Secrétaire d'état aux Grands Travaux) as a charge de mission , from 1995 to 2001 as Deputy Mayor of Chartres under the mayors Georges Lemoine and then Jean-Louis Guillain (both PS ). In 2011 he was appointed to the scientific commission (Comité d'orientation scientifique) of the historical museum Maison de l'histoire de France ( German House of French History ) planned by then President Nicolas Sarkozy , controversial among historians and ultimately not realized .
honors and awards
Ory is a Knight of the Legion of Honor and the Ordre national du Mérite . For 2018 he was awarded the Grand Prix Gobert .
- Les collaborateurs . Éditions du Seuil , Paris 1976 (French).
- La France allemande (1933-1945) . Gallimard , Paris 1977 (French).
- L'aventure culturelle française 1945-1989 . Flammarion , Paris 1989 (French).
- La Belle illusion. Culture et politique sous le signe du Front populaire, 1935-1938 . Plon, Paris 1994 (French).
- Le petit nazi illustré. Vie et survie du Téméraire (1943-1944) . Nautilus, Paris 2002 (French).
- Goscinny. La Liberté d'en rire . Perrin, Paris 2007 (French).
- Literature by and about Pascal Ory in the SUDOC catalog (Association of French University Libraries)
- Information on Pascal Ory in the database of the Bibliothèque nationale de France .
- ↑ a b c Pascal Ory, l'œil lucide et critique sur la société. In: La Croix . October 18th 2008, accessed on November 5, 2016 (French).
- ↑ a b c d e Pascal Ory: son actualité sur France Inter. France Inter , October 2014, accessed on 31 October 2016 (French).
- ^ Ory Pascal. Center d'histoire sociale du XXème siècle, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne , accessed on October 31, 2016 (French).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French historian of contemporary history|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 31, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Fougères , Ille-et-Vilaine department|