Peter Steinbach (historian)
Peter Steinbach (born April 16, 1948 in Lage ) is a German historian and political scientist . He taught as a professor of political science and modern and contemporary history at the University of Passau , at the Free University of Berlin , at the University of Karlsruhe and at the University of Mannheim . Together with Johannes Tuchel , he is the scientific director of the German Resistance Memorial Center in Berlin.
Live and act
Steinbach studied history, philosophy and political science at the Philipps University in Marburg from 1968 to 1972 . A year after the state examination he received his doctorate there in the subject of Medieval and Modern History. After that he went as an assistant professor at the Free University of Berlin, where he joined in 1979 with a double venia of Modern History and Political Science habilitated . In 1980 he received a Heisenberg grant from the German Research Foundation .
From 1982 to 1992 Steinbach was professor for historical and theoretical foundations of politics at the University of Passau, since 1983 he has been scientific director of the permanent exhibition "Resistance to National Socialism" in Berlin and since 1989 scientific director of the German Resistance Memorial Center in Berlin. From 1992 to 2001 Steinbach taught as a professor for historical foundations of politics at the Otto Suhr Institute of the Free University of Berlin and was editor of the political science journal Internationale Wissenschaftliche Korrespondenz on the history of the German labor movement . In 2001 he followed a call to the University of Karlsruhe, where he taught modern and contemporary history. Steinbach was seconded to the University of Mannheim for the 2007/08 winter semester . This measure was preceded by internal disputes with colleagues in Karlsruhe, including Rolf-Jürgen Gleitsmann-Topp and Rolf-Ulrich Kunze . Steinbach has been retired since August 1, 2013.
In his research, Steinbach primarily deals with the history of the resistance against National Socialism and with comparative research on dictatorship. He is a member of several scientific committees, such as the government commission "Common Security and the Future of the Bundeswehr" (1999/2000). Steinbach is one of the editors of the Zeitschrift für Geschichtswwissenschaft and, along with Arnd Bauerkämper and Edgar Wolfrum, editor of the Controversies about History series at the Scientific Book Society .
- Industrialization and social system in the Principality of Lippe: on the relationship between social structure and social behavior of a belatedly industrialized region in the 19th century, with a statistical appendix , preface by Otto Büsch (= historical and educational studies , volume 7, partly as: Lippische Studien , volume 3) . Colloquium-Verlag, Berlin 1976, ISBN 3-7678-0400-X (Dissertation University of Marburg, Department of History, 1973, 556 pages, under the title: The social structure of the Principality of Lippe in the 19th century ).
- National Socialist Violent Crimes in the German Public: The Discussion after 1945. Berlin 1981, ISBN 3-7678-0519-7 .
- Social democracy and constitutional order. Social democratic constitutional conception and constitutional policy as implementation of liberal democratic ideas of order. Opladen 1983, ISBN 3-8100-0345-X .
- Model Dachau: The concentration camp and the city of Dachau in the time of National Socialism and their significance for the present. Passau 1987, ISBN 3-88849-018-9 .
- Karl Ibach. On the biography of a German resistance fighter. Passau 1990, ISBN 3-927575-20-8 .
- July 20, 1944. The faces of the resistance. Siedler, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-88680-155-1 .
- Claus of Stauffenberg. Witness in the fire. Fire DRW-Verl, Leinfelden-Echterdingen 2007, ISBN 978-3-87181-709-0 .
- Georg Elser. Edited by the Ernst-Freiberger Foundation. be.bra Wissenschaft, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-937233-53-6 .
- History in political struggle. How historical arguments manipulate public opinion. Dietz, Bonn 2012, ISBN 978-3-8012-0415-0 .
- (Together with Karl Wilhelm Fricke and Johannes Tuchel ): Opposition and resistance in the GDR. Political images of life. CH Beck, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-406-47619-8 .
- (Together with Johannes Tuchel): Resistance against the National Socialist dictatorship 1933–1945. Lukas, Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-936872-37-6 .
- (Together with Reinhold Weber and others): Disenfranchised - persecuted - destroyed. Nazi history and culture of remembrance in the German south-west (= writings on political regional studies of Baden-Württemberg , Volume 45); State Center for Political Education Baden-Württemberg, Verlag W. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 2016, ISBN 978-3-945414-20-0 .
- Literature by and about Peter Steinbach in the catalog of the German National Library
- Research Center "Resistance to National Socialism in the German Southwest"
- Too complex for Hollywood , interview with Peter Steinbach by Konstantin Sakkas, Der Tagesspiegel , August 7, 2007
- The German resistance in the Third Reich , Steinbach as a guest on the Homo historicus podcast, August 21, 2010
- Cf. Konstantin Sakkas: Karlsruhe historians argue further , in: Der Tagesspiegel , July 30, 2007. Cf. Tilmann Lahme : Peter Steinbach flees to Mannheim , in: FAZ.NET , July 19, 2007.
- Announcement on the homepage of the Chair of Modern and Contemporary History II at the University of Mannheim ( Memento from August 25, 2013 in the Internet Archive ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 16, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||location|