A Pajama Party ( Engl. Slumber Party , Pajama Party , Sleepover ) is a special type of party to stay where guests are invited to host the household. In the German-speaking world, there is mainly the variant that the guests must appear in night clothes to the party; in this case a slumber party is a motto -party. An overnight stay is not mandatory, but can be included. Alternative terms such as slumber party , pajama party or night shirt party could not establish themselves in the German-speaking world.
Especially popular for children's birthday parties are slumber parties within the meaning of sleepovers in the United States outside the cities , where the population density is so low that the visit for. B. a birthday party, almost always requires a more or less long drive. A characteristic of such a pajama party is that the mostly young guests are allowed to extend the party in their sleeping clothes into the night and the rules for going to bed are not interpreted as strictly by the adults as usual (also called midnight party ).
In the German cultural area, pajama parties for young girls came into fashion in the 1960s and 1970s, triggered by the popular children's book series Hanni and Nanni . At home meetings (mostly informal get-togethers), in boarding schools and, above all, on school trips to youth hostels and school camps, girls friends would meet secretly at night in night clothes in the bed of one of the girls to buy sweets by candlelight or in the light of a flashlight modeled on the characters from the novel. To eat sausages and other things and to have lemonade or hot cocoa. These early slumber parties were mostly spontaneous. As with Hanni and Nanni , a certain rule violation increased the appeal of these parties. Boys usually did not take part.
After slumbering parties went out of fashion in the 1990s, they were rediscovered in 2010 with the revival of the "Hanni and Nanni" fabric for the cinema. They also play a central role in similarly structured girls' films such as Naughty Girls 2 and in 2004 in Suddenly Princess 2 . With female teenagers , slumber parties with stylish furnishings such as pajamas, candlesticks and nightcaps are back in fashion. “Nocturnal decorations” and board games also play a role. Cinemas even invite girls to slumber parties in pajamas to watch relevant films. The organized party scene now also knows pajama parties for adults, in which men also take part. The focus is on imaginative decorations on the subject of beds and sexy nightwear. On April 22nd, 2009 Oliver Pocher , Annette Frier and Jürgen Vogel celebrated an impromptu slumber party in the comedy flat on Schillerstrasse .
A slumber party has also been and continues to be a theme in films. One of the best known is the party-on-the-train scene in Some Like It Hot by Billy Wilder with Marilyn Monroe and her "girls" (the word slumber party is explicitly mentioned in the scene ).
Slumber parties in movies and TV series
- Some like it hot , USA 1959
- Slumber Party '57 , USA 1976, with Debra Winger
- The Slumber Party Massacre , USA 1982 (horror comedy)
- The Sleepover Club (TV series), Australia 2003
- Suddenly Princess 2 , USA 2004
- Sleepover , USA 2004
- 30 overnight , USA 2004
- SpongeBob SquarePants , (TV series), episode Das Nachtlicht , season 5 episode 3, Germany November 2007
- Schillerstraße (TV series), episode pajama party , Germany 2009
- Love and other drugs - side effects included , USA 2010
- Hanni & Nanni , Germany 2010
- Naughty Girls 2 , Germany 2010
- The Big Bang Theory (TV series), episode 21 seconds , season 4 episode 8, Germany 2011
- Wendell & Vinnie (TV Series), Episode Wendell & The Sleepover , Season 1 Episode 7, USA 2013
- "We copied the slumber parties" ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- The Stuttgarter Nachrichten about “Princess in Pajamas” ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Tips for a stylish pajama party .
- Slumber party as a new trend ( Memento of the original from August 31, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Pocher, Frier and Vogel are having a slumber party
- Nightly slumber party in Some like it hot