|German title||SpongeBob SquarePants|
|Original title||SpongeBob SquarePants|
|Country of production||United States|
|original language||English (AE)|
|Year (s)||since 1999|
|length||approx. 22 minutes, usually two stories each 11 minutes|
|Episodes||243+ (465+) in 12+ seasons ( list )|
|genre||Comedy , slapstick|
SpongeBob SquarePants - sung by Patrick Pinney
SpongeBob SquarePants - sung by Hans Teuscher
|First broadcast||May 1, 1999 on Nickelodeon|
|August 23, 2002 on Super RTL|
SpongeBob SquarePants (Original title: SpongeBob SquarePants ) is an American cartoon series , which was developed in 1998 by the American marine biologist and trick film producer Stephen Hillenburg . It is particularly popular in the USA, but also in German-speaking countries .
The series is about the adventures of a same sponge (English: sponge ) connected to other marine animals in the sea floor located on the city of Bikini Bottom lives.
The series tells the everyday adventures of the eponymous protagonist , SpongeBob SquarePants. He works in a fast-food restaurant called Krosse Krabbe and experiences all kinds of adventures not only at work, but also in the city and its surroundings. The series is based on everyday situations as they can also occur in the real world (e.g. relationship crises or accidents at work). Most of these situations are deliberately exaggerated, and the way in which the conflict is resolved is often rather bizarre or ridiculous. In some situations, social issues (e.g. adoption ) and clichés (e.g. that of the epitome of alleged masculinity) are taken up and sometimes parodied .
Place of action
Almost all of the action in the series takes place on the ocean floor in the fictional town of Bikini Bottom, where the characters in the series lead their lives. The city consists of several districts and areas, the number of inhabitants varies from one row to the next between 500 and 50,000 residents. The city is said to be at the foot of the Bikini Atoll (which is where its name comes from) - but from the surface, only a small island can be seen, if at all, which is shown, for example, when the time of day changes.
Special places in Bikini Bottom
Below are special places in Bikini Bottom. Each building usually has a shape that reflects its purpose as well as typical flotsam . Simple houses are single or multi-story and made of lost exhausts that protrude from the ground.
- The Krusty Krab ( The Krusty Krab ) is a fast-food restaurant under the direction of Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob and Squidward's workplace. It offers Krabby Patties as its most famous dish, which is so tasty that the recipe must be closely guarded and is referred to as a secret formula. The Krusty Krab is shaped like a lobster trap and has a reputation for having very poor working conditions.
- The trash can ( The Chum Bucket ) is the restaurant, which is led by plankton and is located opposite the Krusty Krab. It has the shape of a trash can with a handle. It almost never has customers because the food is inedible.
- In the Jellyfish Fields , SpongeBob and Patrick pursue their hobby, jellyfish fishing.
- The algae market ( Barg'n-Mart ) is the supermarket where the residents go shopping, it is shaped like a suitcase.
- The Mrs. Puffs Boating School is the driving school where u. a. SpongeBob is a student. It consists of a fenced area including an obstacle course ; the main building is a lighthouse .
- The Goo Lagoon is a beach that borders Bikini Bottom. How the beach can exist is questionable, but it is explained that the apparent water on the beach is not water, but goo, a kind of blue mud. SpongeBob and Patrick often laze there, Larry is a lifeguard or lifeguard there and Sandy surfs there regularly.
- The Fancy is a luxury restaurant that is only reserved for the wealthy and cultured residents of Bikini Bottom. It consists of a ship in a bottle .
- Bikini Bottom Hospital is the municipal hospital in the shape of a lifeline. Well-known patients are very often Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff, but SpongeBob, Patrick, Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Boy, Squidward and Larry have also had to be admitted there.
- The glove world is an amusement park . SpongeBob and Patrick are having fun there. In season 8 it will be closed and replaced by the glove universe.
- Rock Bottom is a deeper place. There is total darkness down there, the streets are made of a neon green substance. The scripts are illegible, and the people of Rock Bottom speak with hard-to-understand accents, sticking their tongues out.
- Bikini Bottom Prison is on the outskirts and is surrounded by a tall barbed wire fence. Squidward and Mrs. Puff had to be in it.
- New Kelp City is a distant neighboring city, which is modeled after New York City . This city is big and extremely dirty, and there are many homeless and unemployed people living there. SpongeBob was the city's mayor for a short time .
Infrastructure and everyday life
The nature and the climate in Bikini Bottom are extremely paradoxical: although the city is underwater and the action also takes place on the seabed, there are beaches with what appears to be water (Goo Lagoon), flower-shaped clouds, fire, rain, wind, tornadoes and even snowfall .
The main characters belong to different species of animals, as they are typical for the underwater world, including sponges (SpongeBob), starfish (Patrick), octopus (Squidward), crabs (Mr. Krabs), lobsters (Larry von Lobster), puffer fish (Mrs. Puff ) and rays (e.g. manta rays ). But even land creatures like squirrels (Sandy) and humans (Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Jack) are represented. The remaining, simple inhabitants of Bikini Bottom are for the most part anthropomorphic , upright fish. Other sea creatures are displayed in the series like animals, they can even as pets serve and have them corresponding equivalent from the country world: For example, jellyfish the bees inspired and live in hives, snails provide domestic cats are, worms are dogs , clams have Similarities to birds and seahorses are represented and treated like horses .
In Bikini Bottom, payment is made with the shell dollar, which is visually based on the US dollar . The city seems to be part of a kingdom headed by the absolute ruler King Neptune, who is sometimes even worshiped like a deity and also has the corresponding powers. Instead of cars, in Bikini Bottom you drive boats with wheels, so-called boat mobiles. There are also buses and taxis, but also bicycles with paddle wheels .
There are ten main characters.
- Robert "SpongeBob" SquarePants
- (in the English original Spongebob Squarepants ) is the main character of the series. It is a yellow, cuboid sponge with front teeth protruding from the mouth. He wears short brown trousers with a black belt, a white shirt and a red tie . He is artistically very gifted, has a vigorous imagination and tends to be naive . SpongeBob's exuberant cheerfulness and optimism as well as his almost intrusive willingness to help are often perceived as a burden by his fellow citizens. He lives with his pet, the meowing snail Gary, in a pineapple that is set up as a two-story house. SpongeBob's hobbies are jellyfish fishing , bubble blowing, and karate . He works in the fast food restaurant Krosse Krabbe as a highly motivated and talented burger roaster and is loyal to his boss despite sometimes unreasonable working conditions. He regularly fails the practical driving test for the boat license, a defining running gag of the series.
- Patrick Star
- is a mentally clumsy pink starfish and has been SpongeBob's best friend since childhood. He lives under a rock with a cane antenna on the same street as SpongeBob. He is wearing green and purple Bermuda shorts with a Hawaiian pattern . Patrick doesn't have a regular job; if he accepts a mini job at all, he usually loses it on the same day. Patrick mostly spends his time watching TV, eating, sleeping or with SpongeBob, with whom he primarily shares a love of jellyfish fishing. His clumsiness and indolence are often the trigger for uncomfortable situations that he regularly brings SpongeBob and bystanders into. In some episodes, however, the impression is given that Patrick is mean on purpose.
- Squidward Quentin tentacles
- (Originally Squidward Quentin Tentacles ) is a gray-green, upright octopus with a big nose that SpongeBob can't stand. He lives between SpongeBob and Patrick in an Easter Island figure . Squidward is grumpy, sarcastic, haughty, and self-indulgent. He works as a cashier in the Krusty Krabbe and hates his job, which is also expressed in clear disinterest (e.g. reading magazines while at work) and disparaging behavior towards customers. He also likes to avoid all unpleasant work and shifts it to SpongeBob. He finds his fulfillment in playing the clarinet , in painting still lifes and self-portraits as well as in expressive dance . Squidward wants to be rich and famous, with hair on his head, and live with neighbors other than SpongeBob and Patrick. His archenemy is Siegbert Schnösel, whom he envies for his success and wealth.
- Eugene Herbert Krabs
- usually just called Mr. Krabs, is a coral red crab and the owner and head of the Krusty Krab. He lives with his daughter Perla in a large, anchor-shaped house. He wears jeans and a shirt. Mr. Krabs' thoughts and desires are mostly about money, about his daughter and about his archenemy plankton. His most important possession is the secret recipe of the popular Krabby Burger. Mr. Krabs is unbearably stingy , his greed for money sometimes goes so far that he cheats his own employees out of their already measly wages or even steals from them. In return, his greed often becomes his undoing, for example the Flying Dutchman Eugene wants to lock him in Davy Jones' locker as a punishment . His greed also regularly falls back on him: his restaurant is repeatedly damaged or torn down, either because he either wants to do everything himself out of greed or because SpongeBob misunderstood his instructions.
- Sheldon James Plankton
- usually just called plankton, is the malicious and intelligent but unsuccessful owner of the trash can. The figure is based on the Copepoda , a tiny crab with two antennae and one eye. Plankton's goal is to steal the secret recipe for the Krabby Patty, with which he wants to make his own restaurant more popular, which so far has hardly been visited by paying guests. The plans that plankton use to steal the formula are often very complex. As a rule, however, they are thwarted at the last moment by Mr. Krabs or SpongeBob or fail because of his small height and overconfidence. Alternatively, they fail because of little things that were not considered in the plans. On the side, plankton strives for world domination. Plankton and Mr. Krabs were best friends as children, until the poor boy, in competition with Plankton, sold the Krabby Patty at school.
- is the snippy but loyal computer woman from Plankton, she is named after Stephen Hillenburg's wife. Karen gives Plankton tips on how to come up with the Krabby Patty's formula, and Plankton pretends the ideas come from him. Karen Plankton's actions and failures with hateful and malicious comments are more or less a return coach.
- Sandra "Sandy" Cheeks
- is a female squirrel from Texas who lives on the ocean floor with support from NASA . It lives in an oak that grows in the middle under a watertight glass dome (similar to a biosphere ). Outside the dome, she wears a spacesuit that allows her to breathe. Sandy is a talented inventor and technology scientist. Every now and then she observes the townspeople and does something like behavioral studies. Sandy is a good friend of SpongeBob and a spirited and open-hearted person. She does karate , weightlifting , cycling and surfing . SpongeBob and Patrick can only enter Sandy's dome with a water-filled fishbowl above their heads.
- Poppy Puff
- usually just called Mrs. Puff, is a puffer fish lady and the owner of the boating school. She has straight, blonde hair and is wearing a small blue hat, a blue blouse and a short, red pleated skirt. In one episode we learn that her husband was fished and prepared as a lamp, so Mrs. Puff is a widow . SpongeBob is by far their most untalented student. He regularly drives her to despair because he causes accidents with catastrophic results in driving lessons. This is uncomfortable for Mrs. Puff because she gets upset very quickly and, as a result, inflates herself in puffer fish fashion. She has also been arrested and jailed several times through SpongeBob's fault.
- Perla Krabs
- is a sperm whale girl and the daughter of Mr. Krabs. She wears a cheerleader costume, uses lipstick and behaves like a puberty. She suffers from her father's stinginess and often feels like he is being shown to her friends.
- Gary B. Schneckerich
- is SpongeBob's domestic snail. He takes on the role of a house cat and makes cat noises that SpongeBob sometimes interprets as considered and intelligent utterances. Gary's intelligence shows, among other things, his ability to tie shoes as well as his interest in poetry and the political section of the daily newspaper. He enjoys eating biscuits, canned snail food, and popcorn. If SpongeBob doesn't react to Gary's meowing, Gary can draw attention to himself with a lion roar .
- Patchy the pirate
- played by Tom Kenny , appears in some episodes in real-life scenes with his talking parrot Potty, who is represented by a puppet. The real film scenes form the framework of the respective episode. Patchy is a huge SpongeBob fan and the chairman of the fan club. Patchy and Potty live in Encino .
- Mermaid man and blue bass boy
- are two retired superheroes who live in a retirement home. Mermaid man shows symptoms of dementia , the younger blue bass boy is pessimistic and choleric . In their secret base there is a weapon collection and an invisible boat mobile. Her biggest (and most dangerous) fans are SpongeBob and Patrick.
- Atomic flounder
- is one of the arch enemies of the mermaid male and blue bass boy, who is now retired. If he is irritated, he can still use his burning atomic breath.
- Bastard bubble
- is one of the archenemies of the mermaid male and blue bass boy. Its strength results from its enormous surface tension. However, it can be burst with a pointed object.
- is another archenemy of the mermaid male and blue bass boy. He's the most dangerous villain of all and occasionally works with the bastard bubble.
- The Flying Dutchman
- is the glowing green ghost of a pirate who sails across the seas on his ghost ship and scares people. He is a bit quick-tempered, but can also be cooperative and willing to compromise.
- King Neptune
- is the supreme ruler of the underwater world. The name is based on the Roman water god Neptune and is u. a. Often used by SpongeBob in phrases like "Oh, you holy Neptune!"
- Larry from Lobster
- is a muscular, self- loving lobster who works as a lifeguard in the Goo Lagoon . He is friends with Sandy and Don. His hobbies are weight lifting and volleyball. He likes going to the gym.
- A regular, olive-colored fish with brown trousers that is always the victim of SpongeBobs and Patrick's misfortunes. Fred became known as a running gag because he said “My leg! My leg! ”(Less often:“ My eyes! My eyes! ”) Calls out in the background.
- dubbed by Hans Teuscher , is the pirate portrait that is shown at the beginning of an episode.
- Old Jenkins
- is an old man well-known in the city who, despite his age, still drives and eats in the Krusty Krabbe.
- Mrs. Betsy Krabs
- is the mother of Mr. Krabs. She likes to spoil her son and doesn't really want to admit that he is already an adult. She lives in an anchor-shaped house that is pink in color in contrast to her son's blue house.
- Grandma SquarePants and Grandpa SquarePants
- are SpongeBob's grandparents. SpongeBob visits his grandma regularly. Grandpa SquarePants doesn't appear in the series, but SpongeBob occasionally quotes his wisdom in his mind.
- Mother SquarePants and Father SquarePants
- are SpongeBob's parents. They live outside of Bikini Bottom, so they rarely occur. In contrast to their son, neither mother nor father Squarepants have a square shape.
- Siegbert Schnösel
- is an acquaintance of Squidward's tentacles, who he has known since high school , and, like that one, an octopus. Siegbert is a millionaire and has achieved everything Thaddäus has ever dreamed of. When Siegbert shows up, Squidward always tries to impress him. Siegbert even has his own fan club.
- Cable Yeah
- is a cod and one of Bikini Bottom's best-known news anchors, so he's often featured on television.
- Sneaker man
- an old superhero colleague of mermaid man and blue perch boy. His superpower is running unnaturally fast. In one episode SpongeBob slips into his role and in another episode he is seen in an old mermaid-man-and-blue-bass-boy episode.
- Captain Magma
- An old superhero colleague of Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Boy. It consists entirely of magma . In one episode, Squidward slips into his role and in another episode he is seen in an old mermaid-man-and-blue-bass-boy episode.
- Miss time-so-time-so
- An old superhero colleague of Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Boy. Your superpower is to make yourself invisible. In one episode, Sandy Cheeks slips into her role and in another episode she is seen in an old mermaid-man-and-blue-bass-boy episode.
- The elastic waistband
- An old superhero colleague of Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Boy. Its superpower is its elasticity, as if it were made of rubber. In one episode Patrick slips into his role and in another episode you can see him in an old mermaid-man-and-blue-bass-boy episode.
- The cast iron brooder
- An old superhero colleague of Mermaid Man and Blue Bass Boy. His superpower is to think and philosophize about everything. In one episode you can see him in an old mermaid-man-and-blue-bass-boy episode.
The German synchronization of the series is created at Deutsche Synchron in Berlin . The dialogue books were written by Matthias Müntefering from 2002 to 2010, and since then Mike Betz and Sabine Régé-Turo have been responsible for directing the dialogue together with Frank Schröder and Stefan Fredrich .
At the beginning of the auditions at that time, it was decided from the start to cast the cabaret artist Santiago Ziesmer for the role of SpongeBob SquarePants. But since one suspected a quick connection with the role of Steve Urkel from the US sitcom All Under One Roof , which was also dubbed by Ziesmer, the decision was first made for a nationwide casting, as a result of which all people from Berlin, Munich or Hamburg were cast were. After the test recordings were sent to America, however, the decision was quickly made in favor of Ziesmer.
On May 29, 2011 it was announced that MTV had dismissed Patrick Star's long-time regular spokesman, Marco Kröger , because he had demanded compensation from the broadcaster based on the amount of money earned by the series. His successor, Fritz Rott , was announced by SpongePedia on November 16, 2011 by name.
Over the years, other voice actors have been reassigned. In October 2014, Squidward's spokesman Eberhard Prüter died during the dubbing for the film SpongeBob SquarePants 3D . Mrs. Puff's spokeswoman, Rita Engelmann , retired in 2016, and her role has been spoken by Sonja Deutsch since then . In 2018, Plankton's long-time spokesman Thomas Petruo died after a short, serious illness. His successor was Sebastian Christoph Jacob .
|Surname||Original speaker||German voice actor|
|Robert "SpongeBob" SquarePants||Tom Kenny||Santiago Ziesmer|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke||
Marco Kröger (seasons 1–7)
Fritz Rott (from season 8)
|Squidward tentacles||Rodger Bumpass||
Eberhard Prüter (episode 1–189)
Joachim Kaps (from episode 190)
|Eugene Krabs||Clancy Brown||Jürgen Kluckert|
|Sheldon plankton||Doug Lawrence||
Thomas Petruo (episode 1–230)
Sebastian Jacob (from episode 232)
|Karen plankton||Jill Talley||Susanne Geier|
|Sandy Cheeks||Carolyn Lawrence||Cathlen Gawlich|
|Poppy Puff||Mary Jo Catlett||
Rita Engelmann (episode 4–182)
Sonja Deutsch (from episode 190)
|Perla Krabs||Lori Alan||Sabine Winterfeldt|
|Surname||Original speaker||German voice actor|
|Painty||Stephen Hillenburg||Hans Teuscher|
|Mermaid man||Ernest Borgnine||Karl Schulz|
|Blue bass boy||Tim Conway||
Uwe Paulsen (episode 6–94)
Hasso Zorn (episode 114–180)
Hans-Werner Bussinger (season 2–6)
Joachim Tennstedt (from season 7)
|Younger mermaid man||Adam West||Gerald Paradise|
|Younger blue bass boy||Burt Ward||Konrad Bösherz|
|Flying Dutchman||Brian Doyle-Murray||
Hans Teuscher (episode 13–162)
Axel Lutter (from episode 220)
|Larry the lobster||Doug Lawrence||Jörg Hengstler|
|Siegbert Schnösel||Dee Bradley Baker||Eberhard Prüter (episode 35–135)|
|Mrs. SquarePants||Sirena Irwin||Margot Rothweiler|
|Mr. SquarePants||Tom Kenny||Frank-Otto Schenk|
|Grandma SquarePants||Marion Ross||
|Bubbling||Dee Bradley Baker||
Engelbert von Nordhausen season 1
Sven Fechner from season 9
|Old Jenkins||Karl-Heinz Grewe|
Hubertus Bengsch (episode 19)
Eberhard Haar (episode 126)
Hans-Werner Bussinger (1st film)
|Patchy the pirate||Tom Kenny||Michael Pan|
|Potty the parrot||Stephen Hillenburg
|Jacques Cousteau (narrator)||Tom Kenny||Michael Pan|
|Surname||Original speaker||German voice actor|
|ranger||Dee Bradley Baker||Stefan Staudinger|
|Reg||Thomas F. Wilson||Martin Keßler|
|Oops boy||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Kevin the sea cucumber||Dee Bradley Baker||Hans-Jürgen Dittberner|
|Gerd G. Money storage||Dee Bradley Baker||Tom Deininger|
|Fraudulent fish||Dee Bradley Baker||Bernd Schramm|
|Nonsense strangler||Thomas F. Wilson||Engelbert von Nordhausen|
|Professor Percy||Christopher Ryan||Norbert Gescher|
|Dr. jam||Nigel planner||Reinhard Scheunemann|
|Lord Reginald||Rik Mayall||Lothar Blumhagen|
|Carl||CH Greenblatt||Marcel Collé|
|Le spatula||Dee Bradley Baker||Georg Tryphon|
|Dr. Karl Gill||Rodger Bumpass||Uwe Büschken|
|Master Udon||Pat Morita||Rudiger Evers|
|Tickle fighters||Tom Kenny||Uli Krohm|
|Disgusting Ed||Rodger Bumpass||Tom Deininger|
|Mr. Fitz||Dee Bradley Baker||Bodo Wolf|
|Ned||Dee Bradley Baker||Tobias Müller|
|Miss Duttfish||Andrea Martin||Karin Buchholz|
|Leader of the bubble burst boys||Ray Liotta||Bernd Vollbrecht|
|Cousin BlackJack||John DiMaggio||Tilo Schmitz|
|Uncle Captain Blue||Garnett Sailor||Hasso Zorn|
|Jim||Patton Oswalt||Stefan Fredrich|
|general||R. Lee Ermey||Gerald Paradise|
|Stanley SquarePants||Christopher Guest||Rainer Fritzsche|
|Mr. What are you doing||Dee Bradley Baker||Frank Ciazynski|
|Werner M. Wahnsinnsfisch||Greg Baldwin||Tom Deininger|
|Grandpa Red Beard||Dennis Quaid||Uli Krohm|
|Nat||To Norris||Jesco Wirthgen|
|JKL||Johnny Depp||David Nathan|
|LKH||David Bowie||Lothar Blumhagen|
|Stefan||Dee Bradley Baker||Edwin Gellner|
|Angry Jack||Dee Snider||Lutz Schnell|
|Queen Amphitrite||Victoria Beckham||Christin Marquitan|
|Triton||Sebastian Bach||Nico Sablik|
|Zeus||Dee Bradley Baker||Wilhelm-Rafael Garth|
|Plankton's grandmother||Laraine Newman||Eva-Maria Werth|
|Madame Schleimaal||Kristen Wiig||Denise Gorzelanny|
|Ma angler||Amy Sedaris||Isabella Grothe|
|Warriors from the old days||Dee Bradley Baker||Klaus-Peter Grap|
|Samantha Star||Bill Fagerbakke||Marco Kroeger|
|Tony flott jr||Doug Lawrence||Julius Jellinek|
|Bill||Rodger Bumpass||Stefan Gossler|
|Frederick T. Tinnef||Dee Bradley Baker||Engelbert von Nordhausen|
|Fasi Acorns||Rich Fulcher||Lutz Schnell|
|Captain Stockfish||Rodger Bumpass||Axel Lutter|
|Mr. von Paragraph||Bill Faggerbake||Christoph Banks|
|Colonel Carper||Andy Samberg||Michael Iwannek|
|Johnny Krill||Johnny Knoxville||Bernhard Völger|
|Captain Frost Mug||Michael McKean||Frank Röth|
|Kenny the cat||Biz Markie||Julien Haggége|
|Boss of the company||Frank Ferrante||Erich Rauker|
|Siggi barnacles||Bob Barker||Sven Gerhardt|
|Oswald McNulty||Dee Bradley Baker||Julius Jellinek|
|Karl coral guardian||Jeff Bennett||Johannes Berenz|
|Eugenie||Betty White||Luise Lunow|
|Marina||Jill Taley||Maria Hönig|
|Nocturna||Aubrey Plaza||Anne Helm|
|Nixie||Sirena Irwin||Laurine Betz|
|Sharkface||Henry Winkler||Fabian Oscar Vienna|
|Lonnie||Michael McKean||Nico Sablik|
|Donnie||David Lander||Julius Jellinek|
|Arno Notorious||James Arnold Taylor||Michael Pan|
|Steffen, the grim reaper||Bill Faggerbake||Rafael Albert|
|Don Grouper||Jon Hamm||Sascha Rotermund|
|Older cop||Ed Asner||Uli Krohm|
|Long fin whiting||Joe Pantoliano||Hans Hohlbein|
|Ice cream king||Peter Browngardt||Marco Kroeger|
|Knuddel K. Kuschel||Jeff Garlin||Detlef Bierstedt|
|Thaddina||Jill Taley||Betty Förster|
|Santa Claus||Lewis Black||Reinhard Scheunemann|
The English premiere was on Nickelodeon . The German-language first broadcast took place in the first four seasons on Super RTL . Since the fifth season, the German-language first broadcast took place on the German station of Nickelodeon, Nick (2010-2017 Nickelodeon) or on its pay-TV branch Nicktoons (until 2010 Nick Premium).
Films / specials
|Film / special||Original title||US premiere||German title||German First broadcast|
|1||Christmas Who?||December 6, 2000||Christmas underwater||December 6, 2002|
|2||Shanghaied||March 9, 2001||Wrong-way drivers||October 2, 2002|
|3||Party Pooper Pants||May 17, 2002||SpongeBob's house party||September 15, 2003|
|4th||Ugh||March 5, 2004||SpongeBob in the Stone Age||September 18, 2003|
|5||The Sponge Who Could Fly||March 21, 2003||The flying sponge||September 25, 2003|
|1. Movie||The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie||November 17, 2004||The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie||December 23, 2004|
|6th||Have You Seen This Snail?||November 11, 2005||Have you seen this snail?||January 22, 2006|
|7th||Dunces and Dragons||February 20, 2006||The noble knight||May 7, 2006|
|8th||Friend or Foe||April 13, 2007||Friend or traitor?||April 21, 2008|
|1. TV movie||Atlantis SquarePantis||November 12, 2007||SpongeBob's Atlantic Adventure||August 18, 2008|
|9||Pest of the West||April 11, 2008||The plague of the Wild West||February 15, 2008|
|10||WhoBob WhatPants - What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?||October 13, 2008||WhatBob WoHead? - Desperately wanted SpongeBob||July 19, 2009|
|11||SpongeBob vs. The Big One||April 17, 2009||The wave back||April 10, 2009|
|2. TV movie||Truth or Square||November 6, 2009||Escaped ice-cold||December 5, 2009|
|12||The Clash of Triton||5th July 2010||The 5000th birthday||November 13, 2010|
|13||SpongeBob's Last Stand||April 22, 2010||Save the jellyfish fields||April 22, 2010|
|14th||Back to the past||February 15, 2010||Earlier was earlier||March 13, 2010|
|15th||The Great Patty Caper||November 11, 2010||The great train adventure||May 1, 2011|
|16||Frozen Face Off||July 15, 2011||Sub zero under water||January 21, 2012|
|17th||A SquarePants Family Vacation||November 11, 2011||Once chaos and back||July 14, 2012|
|18th||Ghoul Fools||October 21, 2011||Ghost idiots||October 27, 2012|
|19th||It's a SpongeBob Christmas!||November 23, 2012||SpongeBob's Christmas||December 8, 2012|
|20th||Hello Bikini Bottom!||October 8, 2012||Hello bikini bottom||March 9, 2013|
|21st||It came from Goo Lagoon||17th February 2014||It came from the Goo lagoon||April 18, 2015|
|22nd||SpongeBob You're Fired||11th. November.2013||Chased off the grill||March 15, 2014|
|2. Movie||The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||February 6, 2015||SpongeBob SquarePants 3D||19th February 2015|
|23||Goodbye, Krabby Patty?||20th February 2017||Goodbye Krabby Patties?||4th March 2017|
|24||Feral Friends||October 7, 2017||Feral friends||February 12, 2018 2|
|25th||The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom||October 13, 2017||HA-HA Halloween||5th June 2018|
|26th||Goons on the moon||November 25, 2018||Fool in space||December 24, 2018|
|27||Squirrel Jelly||18th November 2018||Jellyfish fishing stress||February 25, 2019|
|3. TV movie||SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout||12th July 2019||SpongeBob's big birthday party||13th July 2019|
|3. Movie||The SpongeBob Movie: It's a Wonderful Sponge||May 22, 2020||SpongeBob SquarePants: A sponge-like rescue||June 30, 2020|
2 The German-language premiere may already have taken place on January 23, 2018 on Nicktoons. However, it could not be confirmed whether the episode was in German or, as it was broadcast in December 2017, in English.
- 2005: Marc Cerasini : The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie - The novel for a cinema hit! , Egmont Ehapa Verlag , ISBN 978-3-8025-3431-7 .
Home media publications
In addition to the (half) season publications, DVDs with individual selected episodes were also published under special titles. From April to October 2014, the eight complete seasons in Germany were released in chronological order of the episodes by Paramount Home Entertainment . In addition, an overall box containing the first eight seasons was released.
- Season 1 was released on October 28, 2003
- Season 2 was released on October 19, 2004
- Season 3 was released on September 27, 2005
- Season 4.1 was released on September 12, 2006
- Season 4.2 was released on January 9, 2007
- Season 4 was released in full on November 13, 2012
- Season 5.1 was released on September 4, 2007
- Season 5.2 was released on November 18, 2008
- Season 5 was released in full on November 13, 2012
- Season 6.1 was released on December 8, 2009
- Season 6.2 was released on December 7, 2010
- Season 6 was released in full on November 13, 2012
- Season 7 was released on December 6, 2011
- Season 8 was released on March 12, 2013
- It's a SpongeBob Christmas (Eng. SpongeBob's Christmas ) was released on October 15, 2013 on Blu-ray
- Season 9 was released on October 10, 2017
- Season 1 was released on November 7, 2005
- Season 2 was released on October 23, 2006
- Season 3 was released on December 3, 2007
- Season 4 was released on November 3, 2008
- Season 5 was released on November 16, 2009
- Season 6 was released on November 29, 2010
- Season 7 was released on September 17, 2012
- Season 8 was released on October 28, 2013
- Season 1 was released on April 3, 2014
- Season 2 was released on April 3, 2014
- Season 3 was released on April 3, 2014
- Season 4 was released on July 3, 2014
- Season 5 was released on July 3, 2014
- Season 6 was released on July 3, 2014
- Season 7 was released on October 2, 2014
- Season 8 was released on October 2, 2014
SpongeBob SquarePants is produced by the US children's channel Nickelodeon . After a preview on May 1, 1999, the series has been running there since July 17, 1999.
In Germany , the series was shown on Super RTL from August 23, 2002 to June 29, 2009 . The broadcast included the first 73 episodes. The reason for the cessation of broadcasting was the loss of license rights. Since then, these have been exclusively owned by Viacom , Nick Deutschland's parent company , where the program has been broadcast since the channel began broadcasting on September 12, 2005. In addition, the series was shown on RTL on Sunday nights in 2003 and 2004 . In 2009 and 2010, individual issues were also shown on MTV and from September 14, 2009 to September 7, 2014 SpongeBob SquarePants was also shown on VIVA . The Pay TV transmitter Nicktoons Germany exudes the series out also. After a long break from broadcasting, SpongeBob has been shown on Nicktoons again since February 29, 2016 (MTV, VIVA and Nicktoons belong to the Viacom group like Nickelodeon). In Switzerland , the series was broadcast for a long time in the now discontinued Nickelodeon window on SRF Zwei and after a long break it was taken back into the program. It last ran there in June 2010, airing up to episode # 109. In Austria the series could be seen between 2004 and 2011 on ORF eins up to episode # 94. Comedy Central has been broadcasting the series from 7:15 on weekdays since April 2020.
The first feature film, The SpongeBob SquarePants Film , was released in US cinemas on November 19, 2004, and in Germany on December 23, 2004. In September 2008, SpongeBob's Atlantic Adventure followed , and in December 2009 the third film called Eiskalt Escape . With the ordered ninth season, the 200-episode hurdle should also be exceeded. In 2015, the second movie, SpongeBob SquarePants 3D (OT: The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water ) was released in cinemas for the first time in stereoscopic 3D. In 2020 the third film, currently known as The SpongeBob Movie: It's a Wonderful Sponge , will be released.
Nick also often ran an offshoot of SpongeBob SquarePants during the commercials : Your Horoscope with Squidward (in the original Astrology with Squidward ). There the different figures represent the zodiac signs and read the horoscope out loud . There are no records of some editions of Your Horoscope with Thaddäus , the offshoot is considered to be partially lost.
Reception and criticism
Modern social considerations
According to Robert Keser , author in the Bright Lights Film Journal , SpongeBob can be described as the Candide of the 21st century, who on the one hand masters all life situations with great optimism and has a zest for life that is sometimes already manic , but on the other hand also lapses into childlike helplessness can. He does not hide his emotions, but always shows them openly. It is not uncommon for them to reflect typical problems in our society in a very simple manner. SpongeBob often supports his views with striking slogans and, last but not least, enforces his attitude with them. In the episode Hard Shell, Soft Core , he is first exposed by the fact that he likes soap bubbles and jellyfish fish, until in the end it turns out that the other characters also have secrets that do not match their lived masculinity.
Controversy over SpongeBob's sexual orientation
US media reported in January 2005 about the fact that conservative - Christian alleged groups in the US, SpongeBob is gay . The background to this was that Dr. James C. Dobson , founder of the Christian organization Focus on the Family , publicly attacked a music video promoting tolerance towards minorities, people of different skin color and sexual orientation. The video was a remake of the hit We Are Family from 1979, in which SpongeBob and various characters from children's television appear. The video was from a nonprofit that Nile Rodgers , the songwriter, started after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Dobson took advantage of SpongeBob's popularity in his campaign to make the political goals of his organization known to families with children.
In the US gay culture, SpongeBob, like Tinky-Winky from the Teletubbies , has long been considered a gay figure. His exaggerated optimism, his emotional personality, often effeminate acting behavior and his penchant for colorful interiors match the Camp - culture , which applies in the United States as a lifestyle of urban intellectuals and gays.
Stephen Hillenburg , the inventor of SpongeBob, disliked such speculation. For him, SpongeBob and the other characters were "a bit strange", but " asexual " (so they have no real sexual interests / tendencies). In addition, it is often shown in the series that SpongeBob does not seem averse to the female gender: He always has a secret love for his best friend Sandy.
On June 13, 2020, an Instagram post from the Nickelodeon network sparked suspicions that Spongebob is gay. The caption of the post "Celebrating Pride with the LGBTQ + community and their allies this month and every month", translatable as "We are celebrating Pride with the LGBTQ + community and its allies this month and every other month", on the occasion of Pride Month left this speculation to. The post also features the bisexual main character Korra from The Legend of Korra and Michael D. Cohen from the Henry Danger series , who lives as a transgender .
SpongeBob also serves as the basis for other products. Figures and computer games , among other things, are popular .
From August 27th to 29th 2010 the first SpongeBob Camp started in Germany. The 150 places could be won on the SpongeBob summer tour.
In March 2011, a CD with 16 cover versions of well-known pop hits was released under the title BOB Music - The Yellow Album . The album made it into the German album charts of Media Control at number 17 as soon as it was released. The track Lecker Lecker (a cover version of the hit Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) by Shakira ) was also able to place due to digital download sales. He was listed at number 43 in the single charts.
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, rankings, weeks, awards, notes)
First published: March 13, 2009
Sales: + 10,000
|SpongeBob's Greatest Hits||-||
AT63 (1 week)
First published: July 17, 2009
|2011||BOBmusik - The yellow album||
CH42 (8 weeks)
First published: May 25, 2011
Sales: + 120,000
|BOBmusik - The yellow winter album||-||-||-||
First published: November 25, 2011
|2012||SpongeBob - The Blue Album||
DE28 (9 weeks)
AT4 (12 weeks)
CH59 (2 weeks)
First published: March 9, 2012
|2013||Bob Star - The totally wacky album||
DE6 (13 weeks)
First published: March 15, 2013
Sales: + 7,500
|Bob Hits - The very best album||
DE92 (1 week)
AT25 (3 weeks)
First published: October 4, 2013
DE15 (8 weeks)
AT5 (8 weeks)
First published: March 21, 2014
|2015||The SuperBob album||
DE18 (10 weeks)
AT10 (9 weeks)
CH100 (1 week)
First published: February 13, 2015
|2016||SpongeBob - The spongy album||
DE13 (5 weeks)
AT12 (5 weeks)
First published: February 26, 2016
|2017||SpongeBob - The master is grilling||
DE12 (4 weeks)
AT16 (4 weeks)
First published: March 24, 2017
|2018||Deep in the ocean||
DE16 (5 weeks)
AT28 (4 weeks)
First published: March 2nd, 2018
|2019||The yellow of the sponge||
DE16 (5 weeks)
AT21 (3 weeks)
First published: March 29, 2019
DE18 (... weeks)
AT62 (3 weeks)
First published: March 6, 2020
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, album , rankings, weeks, awards, notes)
BOBmusik - The yellow album
DE43 (6 weeks)
AT45 (2 weeks)
First published: May 25, 2011
BOBmusik - The Yellow Album
First published: June 2011
|2012||There comes a submarine
SpongeBob - The Blue Album
First published: March 9, 2012
- In addition, the original radio drama for TV series with Episode 1 and Episode 2 , each with a gold record award in Germany.
A species of mushroom that was scientifically described for the first time in 2011, the Spongiforma squarepantsii , was named after it because of its similarity to SpongeBob SquarePants.
Up to the eighth season the episodes were produced in 4: 3 and in SD (exceptions: Eiskalt Escape, SpongeBob's Christmas and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie ), from the ninth season in 16: 9 and in HD.
The series has won the following awards:
- Annie Awards
- Best Animated Television Production (2005)
- Best Writing in an Animated Television Production (2006)
- Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards
- Best Cartoon (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Golden Reel Award
- Best Sound Editing in Television Animation - Music (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003)
- Best Sound Editing in Television Animation - Music (2000, 2003, 2004)
- Nomination: Creative Arts Emmy Awards (2007) for the episode Forced Leave / Wigs Panic
- SpongeBob SquarePants in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Official German website
- nick.de Information and new episodes as video stream ( Memento from August 21, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Episode guide
- SpongePedia , SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki
- ↑ The first number stands for the number of episodes according to the production code and the second number for the number of different stories
- ↑ SpongeBob SquarePants Figures
- ↑ Dialogue director on Mikebetz.de
- ↑ Amazing Voice Show: Interview with Santiago Ziesmer. Retrieved on May 9, 2020 (German).
- ↑ a b c SpongeBob SquarePants in the German synchronous file
- ↑ a b c List of voice actors on SpongePedia.de
- ↑ SpongeBob leaves SuperRTL and goes back to Nick , Der Westen, July 1, 2009, Jürgen Overkott
- ↑ fernsehserien.de: broadcast dates , accessed on December 23, 2014
- ↑ Bernd Michael Krannich: Nickelodeon orders season 9 of SpongeBob Squarepants . Serial junkies . January 3, 2011. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- ↑ Tom Butler: SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Sponge Out Of Water Trailer Reveals New Look Team . Yahoo.com . July 31, 2014. Accessed July 31, 2014.
- ↑ Trailer for 'SpongeBob SquarePants 3D' washed ashore! . Moviejones.de . July 31, 2014. Accessed July 31, 2014.
- ^ Lost Media Wiki - Astrology with Squidward . Retrieved September 3, 2018.
- ↑ brightlightsfilm.com
- ^ A b c Roger Chapman, James Ciment: Culture Wars: An Encyclopedia of Issues, Viewpoints and Voices . Routledge, London / New York 2015, ISBN 1317473515 , page 255.
- ↑ a b c Pamela Demory, Christopher Pullen: Queer Love in Film and Television: Critical Essays . Palgrave Macmillan, 2013, ISBN 113727297X , page 177.
- ↑ Nickelodeon on Instagram , accessed June 14, 2020.
- ↑ Fans after Instagram post sure: Spongebob SquarePants is gay. Redaktionsnetzwerk Deutschland (RND), June 14, 2020, accessed on June 14, 2020.
- ↑ With SpongeBob and Nickelodeon to the first SpongeBob summer camp. In: presse.nick.de. VIMN Germany GmbH, archived from the original on June 9, 2012 ; Retrieved February 19, 2016 .
- ↑ Welcome to the SpongeBob Camp from Jugendtours-Jugendreisen. In: jugendtours.de. Retrieved February 19, 2016 .
- ↑ CD presentation on mix1.de
- ↑ Rise Against with direct entry at number one. In: gfk-entertainment.com. GfK Entertainment, accessed on February 19, 2016 .
- ↑ a b Chart sources: Germany - Austria 1 - Austria 2 - Switzerland
- ↑ Awards: Germany Austria
- ↑ The mushroom species is named after SpongeBob ( memento of the original from May 24, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ emmys.tv