|Reception:||Cable , satellite and IPTV|
|Start of broadcast:||
December 1, 1977 (as Pinwheel )
April 1, 1979 (as Nickelodeon ) United Kingdom September 1, 1993 Germany July 5, 1995 September 12, 2005 (as NICK , since March 31, 2010 as Nickelodeon , since June 28, 2017 again as Nick ) Australia October 20, 1995 Denmark 1996 ( Nickelodeon Scandinavia ) March 15, 2008 ( Nickelodeon Danmark ) Finland 1996 ( Nickelodeon Scandinavia , later replaced by Nick Jr. on cable TV ) unknown ( Nickelodeon Suomi ) Norway 1996 ( Nickelodeon Scandinavia ) Sweden 1996 ( Nickelodeon Scandinavia , was on June 18, 2006 Nickelodeon Sverige replaced) Latin America 20 December 1996 Croatia in 1997 (program block) December 14, 2011 (transmitter) people's Republic of China on Sept. 1, 1997 Turkey 10 December 1997 (re-broadcast reception at first March 2012) Brazil April 20, 1998 Switzerland September 28, 1998 ( block on SF2 ) April 1, 2009 (as NICK , since March 31, 2010 as Nickelodeon , since June 28, 2017 again as NICK ) Japan Nov ember 1998 Russia Moldova November 15, 1998 Sub-Saharan Africa May 12, 1999 (program block) July 1, 2008 (broadcaster) India April 23, 2001 Netherlands September 1, 2002 Flanders April 1, 2003 Israel July 2003 Ireland 2004 Italy November 1, 2004 Portugal June 1, 2005 South Korea August 1, 2005 France November 16, 2005 Austria June 1, 2006 (as NICK , since March 31, 2010 as Nickelodeon , again as NICK since June 28, 2017 ) New Zealand August 1, 2006 (since 1 December 2010 Distribution of Nickelodeon Australia ) Pakistan November 20, 2006 Poland July 10, 2008 Canada November 2, 2009 Greece September 3, 2010
May 31, 1998 Switzerland September 26, 2003 ( block on SF2 ) Japan September 30, 2009 Turkey August 31, 2011
|Legal form:||Private law|
|Program type:||Children's television|
|List of TV channels|
Nick [ nɪk ] (until June 28, 2017 Nickelodeon) is a private television station for children. The name Nickelodeon ( English for inexpensive film or vaudeville theater , jukebox ) is borrowed from the name of the first American cinemas , which were called nickel odeons because of the entrance fee of five cents (= 1 nickel) . Alternatively, it is derived from the English term nickelodeon ( German for the jukebox ), machines that used to play short pieces of music (especially at fairs) against the insertion of a coin.
There are around 30 offshoots of Nick worldwide, including back in Germany since September 12, 2005 , and a year later also in Austria .
The station started on December 1, 1977 to broadcast its program regionally under the name Pinwheel ( wind turbine ). From April 1, 1979, the television program in the United States could be received nationwide and was renamed Nickelodeon at the same time . In the early days of Nickelodeon there was no advertising , instead short clips were shown in which a pantomime performed tricks against a black background. Over the years, Nickelodeon became more successful, not least because of the Nicktoons.
Nickelodeon produced animated series (the so-called Nicktoons), shows for children and live action - series (like Zoey 101 , Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide , Drake & Josh ). The Nickelodeon Group was originally owned by the Warner AMEX Satellite Entertainment Company ( WASEC ) and is now part of Viacom International Media Networks , a subsidiary of the US media group Viacom .
In 2009, Nickelodeon underwent a realignment. As a result, among other things, the channel The N was renamed to TeenNick , Noggin became Nick Jr. and new logos were presented. Since September 2009, as with MTV , there is only one worldwide station design that runs on all stations in 172 countries under the name "Nickelodeon". In the following months, the realignment began to be followed around the world. On June 28, the station began to be renamed Nick.
Currently (as of July 2018) there are the following nick channels in the USA:
- Nick at Nite (in the evening on the same program space as Nickelodeon)
- TeenNick (until September 2009: The N )
- Nick Jr. (until September 2009: Noggin )
- Nick Music
The first Nickelodeon logo adopted the font from the Pinwheel logo, all other logos were completely new designs. The colorful “Splash” logo, which was in use around the globe in various versions for around 25 years, was decisive for the success of Nickelodeon. Due to the renaming, the new logo only shows the word Nick.
All logos shown have been in use since September 28, 2009. The Nick-at-Nite logo had a different color scheme until 2012.
More logos can be found in the articles on Nick Jr. Germany , TEENick , The N , Nicktoons , Nick at Nite and Nicknight .
German language area
In Germany , the Nickelodeon program was offered from July 5, 1995 to May 31, 1998 . On September 12, 2005, Nickelodeon started again on the German television market under the name Nick . As part of the establishment of the new transmitter design in 2009, Nick will also operate under the name Nickelodeon again after March 31, 2010 and adopt the internationally standardized logo. Since June 28, 2017, the station has again used Nick as the name for the program and logo.
There are also the pay-TV offshoots nicktoons (until March 2010: Nick Premium) and, since March 31, 2009, Nick Jr.
Nick HD has been broadcasting in the T-Home Entertain package and via Vodafone TV as an HD simulcast version since May 2011 .
Since October 1, 2014, Nick was seen again 24 hours a day. Comedy Central shared the broadcasting slot with VIVA from September 8, 2014 to December 31, 2018, and after its dissolution got its own program slot .
Since November 1, 2018, the German offshoot has been sharing the transmission slot with a sister program, this time with MTV +.
On June 1, 2006, Nick Austria (at that time only: NICK ) started via Astra Digital and UPC Kabel or Digital TV . This station broadcast a program that was almost identical to Nick Germany's and only differed from the Germany version in terms of advertising specific to Austria and sometimes different broadcast times. In the meantime the program has been taken over by the Swiss branch and interrupted by Austrian advertising.
From January 1, 2011 to September 30, 2014, Nickelodeon Austria shared the broadcasting slot with Comedy Central . At 8:15 p.m. the Nick program ended and Comedy Central took over the frequency until 5:45 a.m. Nick now broadcasts 24 hours a day, and Nicknight is broadcast from 9:00 p.m.
From 2006 to 2010, VIVA Austria played on the broadcast slot from 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
The international logo has been given the addition of Austria since August 13, 2012 .
On September 28, 1998, a Nickelodeon program window started on the public Swiss TV broadcaster SRF2 , in which numerous series and other remnants of the Nickelodeon program were taken over from Germany. After 5 years of broadcasting time, SF DRS decided not to continue the contract with Nickelodeon; the program window was replaced at the end of September 2003 by Junior from EM.TV and at the beginning of 2007 by SF tubii and SF tubii tv . From April 1, 2009 to January 1, 2011 Nick Switzerland was broadcast from 5:00 a.m. to 8:15 p.m. on the frequencies of VIVA Switzerland . In accordance with the Europe-wide alignment of the Viacom brands with the US templates, the Swiss offshoot also took on the full name Nickelodeon on April 1, 2010 and the frequency division with Comedy Central on January 1, 2011 .
The Swiss branch has also been broadcasting 24 hours a day since October 1, 2014 and has been on-air again as Nick on June 28, 2017.
Dutch language area
On September 1, 2002, Nickelodeon took over the broadcasting slot of the former Dutch children's channel Kindernet in the Netherlands . Nickelodeon Nederland initially shared Canal Square with the private broadcaster Veronica . When this station was discontinued, Nickelodeon in the Netherlands initially broadcast around the clock. In 2005, Nickelodeon had to limit its broadcasting time again to the period from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., as it now had to share a channel with the newly founded private broadcaster Talpa . From December 2006 to February 14, 2011, Nickelodeon Nederland broadcast again from 5:00 am to 8:00 pm and shared a channel with the comedy broadcaster Comedy Central . Since February 14, 2011 the evening channel TeenNick has been broadcast from 9:00 p.m. Nickelodeon Nederland itself shows not only well-known cartoon series but also some very successful in-house productions and American real-life series. Since April 2012, Nickelodeon Nederland has also been broadcasting in HD.
On April 1, 2003, Nickelodeon started in Flanders . Initially it was the same version that aired in the Netherlands. However, in the summer of 2009 they started their own programs and began showing the program and advertising in Flemish . It was broadcast daily from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (later: 5:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.), MTV Vlaanderen broadcast the rest of the time . On October 4, 2011, Nickelodeon Vlaanderen got its own slot, between October 4, 2011 and November 5, 2012, TeenNick started one hour earlier in Flanders than in the Netherlands (at 8 p.m. instead of 9 p.m.). In Flanders, unlike the Netherlands, there is no HD version of the channel.
Nickelodeon UK & Ireland launched its program on 1 September 1993. Nickelodeon UK & Ireland shows in its program not Nick Jr. shows, all on two own channels, including Nick Jr. UK & Ireland and Nick Jr. 2 , broadcast become. The majority of the program consists of real-life series such as Drake & Josh , Zoey 101 , iCarly and Genie in the House . In addition, there are the so-called NICKtoons such as Spongebob SquarePants and Mighty B , as well as other trick series that have been purchased. On February 15, 2010, Nickelodeon UK carried out a rebranding and since then has also been wearing the new logo that was already introduced in the USA.
Nickelodeon France launched on November 16, 2005 and is available via cable, satellite and ADSL. The regular 24-hour program did not start until September 4, 2006, but it is currently only broadcast between 6:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m.
For a long time, the French broadcaster's slogan was called “Splash La Télé” (Eng. “Splash the television”), as the logo was often “slapped” against the screen and thus looked like a puddle. Nickelodeon France has been broadcasting with the new logo since 2010.
The sister station Nickelodeon Junior is the only Nick Jr. branch to have the advertised Nickelodeon and Junior. In the program Dora - as in the original - Spanish is taught in a playful way.
The station is based in Paris .
In Sweden, Denmark and Norway, Nickelodeon has been received via satellite, cable and ADSL since 1996. Some of the most popular shows are SpongeBob SquarePants , Scary School, Rugrats, Dora, and Brock's Modern Life.
In Finland, the station started its program on September 1, 2007 and can also be received there via satellite and cable.
National versions of Nickelodeon have now been launched in Sweden, Finland and Denmark. While the Scandinavian offshoot in Sweden has been replaced by the Swedish version on all reception channels, the Scandinavian version can still be received in Denmark and Finland via satellite. In Norway, the version for all of Scandinavia is broadcast with Norwegian advertising.
other European countries
- Croatia had its own Nickelodeon window from November 1997 to December 2011, and since December 14, 2011, Nickelodeon Hrvatska has been broadcasting 24 hours a day.
- Nickelodeon has been broadcasting in Italy since November 1st, 2004.
- Ireland has had its own Nickelodeon since 2004. This is the station Nickelodeon UK & Ireland , which is broadcast with Irish commercials.
- Nickelodeon first went on air in Portugal on June 1, 2005.
- Since July 10th, 2008 Nickelodeon can also be received in Poland.
- In Turkey, Nickelodeon has been entering households in encrypted form since December 10, 1997. A Nickelodeon window is broadcast on the Turkish free TV channel CNBC-e on weekends. Between August 31, 2011 and March 1, 2012, only Nickelodeon Europe could be seen in Turkey , as the Turkish version had been discontinued.
- In Moldova and Russia, Nickelodeon has been in Russian since November 15, 1998. It is not known what the situation is like in other CIS countries .
- Since September 3rd 2010 there is also Nickelodeon in Greece.
- The Australian Nickelodeon has been broadcasting since October 23, 1995 and is the first to use the new logo.
- Nickelodeon has been broadcasting in Latin America since December 20, 1996.
- Nickelodeon started in China on September 1, 1997.
- Japan started its Nickelodeon in November 1998 and ceased broadcasting on September 30, 2009. On January 30, 2018, Nickelodeon was on-air in Japan.
- In India, Nickelodeon has been available as a 24-hour channel in Hindi and English since April 23, 2001.
- Since July 2003 there is also a Nickelodeon in Israel.
- Nickelodeon launched in South Korea on August 1, 2005.
- New Zealand had its own Nickelodeon as of July 29, 2006 and broadcast 24 hours. The station has been replaced by Nickelodeon Australia, which has also been broadcast there since December 1, 2010 with New Zealand commercials.
- Nickelodeon Pakistan or Nick Ary started on November 20, 2006.
- On July 1, 2008, Nickelodeon Africa went on air on the DStv -Multichoice platform and can be received in the countries of sub-Saharan Africa .
- Nickelodeon Canada has been broadcasting since November 2nd, 2009. The new logo has been used since the beginning.
Nickelodeon Studios was a popular attraction at Universal Studios Park in Orlando , Florida . They opened on June 7, 1990 and closed on April 30, 2005 as the studios were relocated to Burbank , California . Many series such as Kenan & Kel and Clarissa were shot with an audience in these studios.
The data refer to the American first broadcast or film premiere.
Animation series ( Nicktoons )
- 2011: Bubble Guppies
- 2013: PAW Patrol
- 2013: Blaze and the Monster Machines
- 2015: Shimmer and Shine
- 2017: Nella, the knight princess
- 2017: Sunny Day
- 2018: Butterbean's Café
Live action series
- since 2015: Spotlight
- since 2017: The Secret of the Hunters
- since 2018: cousins for life
- since 2018: NOOBees
- since 2019: All That
- since 2020: Danger Force
- 2018-2019: Knight Squad
Nick at Nite Productions
- See Dad Run (2012-2015)
- Instant Mom (2013-2015)
The feature films, commonly referred to as “Nickelodeon” films, are not produced by the television network itself, but by Nickelodeon Movies , which is also part of Viacom.
"Kids Choice Awards"
The Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards are an awards gala in which the "Nickelodeon Awards" are presented in several categories. The price categories include “Cutest Couple”, “Best Band” and “Big Help Award”. Part of the show is pouring green slime onto the winners. The winners are determined by voting on the Internet. Since 2018 there have also been exclusive Kids Choice Awards for Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The international Kids Choice Awards will still be broadcast in these countries.
- since 1993: Nickelodeon Magazine
- List of television programs in the USA
- NICK comedy
- List of Nick broadcasts
- Children's television channels
- www.nick.de - Internet presence of Nickelodeon Germany
- www.nickelodeon.tv - Overview of all Nickelodeon websites
- German Nickelodeon Wiki
- ↑ Nick becomes Nickelodeon again
- ↑ DWDL.de GmbH: Renewed backward roll: From Nickelodeon Nick - DWDL.de . In: DWDL.de . ( dwdl.de [accessed June 28, 2017]).
- ↑ Kastner evaporates Viva, expands Nickelodeon
- ↑ Information on Nickelodeon Austria
- ↑ Nickelodeon UK introduces new international logo
- ^ Spiegel Online for the 2010 gala
- ↑ Press release for 2012 ( Memento of the original from May 5, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.