East view of the Schweppenburg
|Creation time :||around 1365|
|Castle type :||Location|
|Standing position :||Noble|
The Schweppenburg is a castle in the district Niederlützingen , today municipality Brohl-Lützing , the bottom of the valley Brohltal . Brohl-Lützing is part of the Ahrweiler district in Rhineland-Palatinate .
Schweppenburg Castle was first mentioned as a castle in 1365. Together with the Schweppenburger or Mosen mill , which is still working today , it came into the possession of the Andernach lay judge Arnold von Schweppenburg as an Electoral Cologne fiefdom in 1377 . It received its current form in the Baroque style through a renovation in the years 1637 to 1639 under Bertram von Metternich . The old fortified castle complex, which until then had served as a farm building, was closed in 1785. Since 1716 the castle has been in the possession of a branch of the Cologne patrician family von Geyr (in Cologne also Gir), who then named themselves after the castle von Geyr zu Schweppenburg .
Schweppenburg Castle approx. 1870 - Alexander Duncker Collection
- Karl Otto Jakob Ewich : The leader at the Laacher-See u. through the Brohlthal: With observations on the properties u. therapeutic effects of Heilbronn , Verlag CW Lichtfers, Neuwied, 1852
- Matthias Röcke: Castles and palaces on the Rhine and Ahr . ARE Verlag, Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler 1991, ISBN 3-9802508-3-0 , pp. 35-37.
- Achim Schmitz: Pankratius Sackmann, brave defender of Schweppenburg. A story from the time of the French Revolution . In: Heimatjahrbuch für die Kreis Ahrweiler 1987. S. 151ff ( online ).
- Leo Stausberg: The Schweppenburg in the Brohltal. After a drawing by Traut . In: Homeland yearbook for the Ahrweiler district 1960 . Weiss, Monschau 1959, online ). , p. 72ff (
- Alexander Thon, Stefan Ulrich: "... like a monarch enthroned in the middle of his court". Castles on the Lower Middle Rhine . Schnell & Steiner, Regensburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-7954-2210-3 , pp. 148–151.
- Josef Busley and Heinrich Neu: Art monuments of the Mayen district , L. Schwann, Düsseldorf, 1941, pp. 406–411.