After graduating from high school in 1960, Jansen served as a reserve officer candidate in the German Navy . He then studied political science , international law , sociology and history at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn and the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität in Munich, and in 1967 he studied with Karl Dietrich Bracher at the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Bonn with the dissertation The German Attitude on Disarmament 1954-1956. to the Dr. phil. PhD.
He was then assistant at the Institute for Political Science at the University of Mainz . In 1970 he was an advisor for European policy to the CDU / CSU parliamentary group and assistant to Walter Hallstein , from 1971 to 1975 he was personal advisor to the chairman of the CDU Rainer Barzel and from 1976 to 1978 deputy and from 1978 to 1980 general secretary of the European Union Germany .
From 1981 to 1983 he was honorary general secretary of the European Movement International , editor-in-chief of the Franco-German journal Documents and head of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung's Rome office . From 1983 to 1994 he was Secretary General of the European People's Party (EPP) and the European Union of Christian Democrats (EUCD).
He worked for the European Commission and was Head of Cabinet of the President of the European Economic and Social Committee . For several years he was chairman of the CDU association Brussels-Belgium . In addition, he is a member of the scientific board of directors of the Institute for European Politics and was the European policy spokesman for the Central Committee of German Catholics .
- with Werner Weidenfeld : Europe. Balance sheet and perspective . von Hase and Koehler, Mainz 1973, ISBN 3-7758-0848-5 .
- (Together with Volkmar Kallenbach): The European parties. Structures, people, programs (= materials on European politics . Volume 2). Europa-Union-Verlag, Bonn 1977, ISBN 3-7713-0016-9 .
- (Ed. With Dieter Mahncke): Personalities of European integration. 14 biographical essays (= European writings of the Institute for European Politics . Volume 56). Europa-Union-Verlag, Bonn 1981, ISBN 3-7713-0146-7 .
- Europe. From community to union. Structures, steps, difficulties (= Mainz contributions to European unification . Volume 6). Europa-Union-Verlag, Bonn 1986, ISBN 3-7713-0262-5 .
- (Red.): Europe 2000. Unity in diversity. Fundamental Program and Action Program of the European People's Party 1994–1999 of the European People's Party. In Athens, November 11th - 13th, 1992, in Brussels, December 8th - 10th, 1993 (= European People's Party: Documentation . Issue 9). Knoth, Melle 1994, ISBN 3-88368-261-6 .
- with Hans-Joachim Veen , Urs Altermatt , Klaus Welle : Christian-Democratic and Conservative Parties in Western Europe . Volume 5: Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, European Democratic Union (EDU), European People's Party (EPP) (= studies on politics . Volume 31). Schöningh, Paderborn 2000, ISBN 3-506-79351-9 .
- with Steven Van Hecke: At Europe's service. The origins and evolution of the European people's party . Springer, Berlin a. a. 2011, ISBN 978-3-642-19413-9 .
- Thomas Jansen: The socialists have always lagged behind at the European level. In: Michael Gehler , Marcus Gonschor, Hinnerk Meyer, Johannes Schönner (eds.): Mitgestalter Europa. Transnationalism and party networks of European Christian Democrats and Conservatives in historical experience. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung , Sankt Augustin 2013, ISBN 978-3-944015-34-7 , p. 267 ff. (With short curriculum vitae).
- Literature by and about Thomas Jansen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Thomas Jansen in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Thomas Jansen" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Ulrike Quadbeck: Karl Dietrich Bracher and the beginnings of Bonn political science (= Nomos-Universitätsschriften, Geschichte, Volume 19). Nomos Verlag, Baden-Baden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8329-3740-9 , p. 377, note 1745 (published under the title: The German attitude in the disarmament question 1954–1956. The disarmament question as a problem of the foreign policy of the Federal Republic of Germany. Mainz 1968).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Jansen, Thomas Maximilian (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist and politician (CDU)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 27, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sinzig|