Dame Victoria "Vicki" Geraldine Bruce DBE (born January 4, 1953 in Essex , England ) is a British psychologist , professor of psychology and former dean of the Department of Psychology at Newcastle University .
She is particularly known for her work in the fields of cognitive psychology , neuropsychology, and cognitive neuroscience . There she researches mainly human face processing and personal memory with special attention to face recognition and recognition, the recall of faces by eyewitnesses as well as staring and other aspects of social cognition . Her field of interest and research also includes more general areas of visual cognition .
Education and career
Bruce graduated from Newnham College at the University of Cambridge in 1974 with a BA in Science . She received a PhD position of the Applied Psychology Unit of the Medical Research Council (MRC) (now Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit ) and wrote under her doctoral supervisor Alan Baddeley a doctoral thesis on "Processing and remembering pictorial information" ( processing and remembering visual information ). In 1977 she received her doctorate ( Ph.D. ) for her work . For a short time, she then worked as an assistant at Newcastle University before she received a lecturer position at the University of Nottingham in 1978 . In 1988 she was promoted to reader there , followed by the professorship in 1990. In 1992 she accepted a call to the University of Stirling , where she was Deputy Director of the Research Department from 1995 to 2002. From 2002 to 2008 she was Vice Director of the University of Edinburgh and Chair of the University's College of Humanities and Social Science. In 2008 she returned to Newcastle University, where she chaired the School of Psychology until 2015. She will retain her chair as Professor of Psychology at Newcastle University.
honors and awards
In 1997 Bruce received the Presidents' Award from the British Psychological Society (BPS). In 2000 she received the BPS Cognitive Psychology Award together with Mike Burton and Peter Hancock, and in 2001 she shared the BPS Book Prize with Andy Young.
She is also a member of the advisory board of the NPO Campaign for Science and Engineering.
- 2006: Cardiff University - Honorary Fellow
- 2008: Edinburgh College of Art - Honorary Fellow
- British Psychological Society (BPS) - Honorary Fellow
- British Academy Fellow
- Royal Society of Edinburgh - Fellow
Bruce has already been honored twice with the Order of the British Empire . The Order of Merit is awarded to Brits of all professions who have performed particularly well in their respective field of activity or beyond.
- 1997: Appointment as Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) "for Services to Psychology".
- 2015: Survey on Dame Commander des Order of the British Empire (DBE) "for services to Higher Education and Psychology". With this award, the personal nobility is a lady joined her by knighthood by Queen Elizabeth II. Was awarded at the Birthday Honors.
- 'BRUCE, Prof. Victoria Geraldine', entry in Who's Who , 2012 edition, A & C Black; Article made available online by Oxford University Press November / December 2011. Retrieved January 28, 2012.
- Vicki Bruce: Employee profile with short biography on the Newcastle University website
- Advisory Council of the Campaign for Science and Engineering . Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- London Gazette (Supplement). No. 61256, HMSO, London, June 13, 2015, p. B8 ( PDF , English).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bruce, Victoria Geraldine|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British psychologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th January 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Essex , England|