|overall length||33 km|
|Link on map|
|Places along the way||Grebenhain , Birstein , Brachttal , Wächtersbach|
|Connection to||R3 , volcano cycle path ,|
|ADFC certification||4 out of 5 stars|
The cycle path leads from Hartmannshain in the Vogelsbergkreis in a southerly direction via Birstein and Brachttal to Wächtersbach in the Kinzigtal . Today it is part of the Hessen Railway Cycle Route , see there for more details.
The bike path takes its name from the Vogelsberger Südbahn , which was shut down between 1958 and 1967. Since the former railway line can no longer be used due to many overbuilding and vegetation (nature conservation), the now paved route runs almost independently through the landscape. In some places slopes (sometimes over 10%) require safe braking, especially for inline skaters .
The difference in altitude is large ( Hoherodskopfsteig , as well as to the volcano cycle path, which also runs on a former railway line . In Wächtersbach you can switch to the Hessian long-distance cycle route R3 .in Hartmannshain, up to in Wächtersbach). In Hartmannshain there is a connection to the
A number of rest areas with information boards have been set up along the cycle path. Pedelecs can be recharged at several free charging stations. A few of the charging stations are published on the Main-Kinzig District Works website . Many other charging stations can be found on the maps on the GoingElectric.de website.
Outdoor pools / bathing lakes
There are several swimming opportunities near the cycle path:
- Birstein leisure pool
- Wächtersbach outdoor swimming pool
- Nieder-Mooser See
- Kneipp facilities in Birstein , Aufenau and Neuenschmidten
At the Wächtersbach train station there is a connection to the Vogelsberger Vulkan Express , a bicycle bus that runs from the beginning of May to the end of October on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays between Bad Orb and the Hoherodskopf along the cycle path. The tariffs of the Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund apply .
The Vogelsberger Südbahnlauf takes place once a year. Different disciplines can be completed from half marathons to Bambini runs.
Connecting cycle paths
Connection exists to:
- Hessian long-distance cycle route R3 in Wächtersbach
- Vulkanradweg in Hartmannshain
- Hoherodskopfsteig in Hartmannshain
- Vogelsberger Südbahnradweg. In: www.birstein.de
- Vogelsberger Südbahnradweg. In: Hesse cycle route planner.
- Vogelsberger Südbahnradweg. In: www.bahntrassenradwege.de
- Birstein community - information on the ADFC certificate. In: www.birstein.de. Accessed January 2017
- Birstein - Pearl of the Vogelsberg. In: www.birstein.de. Retrieved January 12, 2017 .