From 1951 Walther Dürr studied musicology, German and Romance languages in Berlin and Tübingen . In 1956 he was at Walter Gerstenberg in Tübingen with a dissertation on rhythm and meter in the Italian Madrigal doctorate . After a scholarship at the University of Bologna , he was lecturer and assistant at the Institute for German Language and Literature and lecturer for music history there until 1962 . From 1962 to 1964 he worked initially as an assistant, then at the International Office of the University of Tübingen as a lecturer for German for foreigners. He held teaching positions at the Universities of Stuttgart , Freiburg im Breisgau and Bern as well as at the Trossingen University of Music . In 1977 the University of Tübingen appointed him honorary professor.
From 1965 to 1997 he was editor-in-chief of the Neue Schubert-Ausgabe , in which he was responsible for the volumes with the songs as well as a whole range of other works. He also worked as an editor on other volumes of this issue.
Dürr had been retired since 1997. He continued to work as spokesman for the editorial team of the Neue Schubert-Ausgabe . In addition to his academic work, Dürr worked as a music critic , editor of numerous writings and translator of libretti .
In 2012 Dürr completed the publication of the “Lied” series in the New Schubert Edition (a total of 14 volumes) and, as one of the main editors, also presented a lexicon on Schubert's songs.
- Studies of rhythm and meter in the Italian madrigal, especially with Luca Marenzio . (Dissertation) Tübingen 1956
- Franz Schubert. Thematic index of his works in chronological order . (Together with Werner Aderhold and Arnold Feil ). Kassel / Munich 1983
- The German solo song in the 19th century. Studies on language and music . Wilhelmshaven 1984
- Punctuation. Essays on musical poetics . Kassel 1992
- Language and music. History - genres - analysis models . Kassel 1994
- as editor with Michael Kube, Uwe Schweikert, Stefanie Steiner and Michael Kohlhäufl: Schubert-Liedlexikon . Verlag Bärenreiter, Kassel 2012, ISBN 978-3-7618-1506-9 .
- Literature by and about Walther Dürr in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Walther Dürr in the German Digital Library
- Radio program "Von Tag zu Tag" with Walther Dürr in the online archive of the Austrian Media Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musicologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 27, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 6, 2018|
|Place of death||Tübingen|