The Werner-von-Siemens-Ring is one of the highest German scientific and technical awards and has been awarded by the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation since 1916.
Living people are honored regardless of their office, position or rank if they have promoted the technical sciences through their work or, as representatives of science, have opened up new avenues for technology through their research.
The Board of Trustees of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation decides on the award of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring. It has only been awarded once to a woman: in 1993 to Eveline Gottzein.
The festive handover of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring takes place on December 13th, Werner von Siemens’s birthday .
The Werner von Siemens ring is set with emeralds and rubies, which depict bay leaves and fruits, and is kept in an artistically designed case with the portrait of Werner von Siemens on the outside and a dedication by the winner.
- 1916 Carl von Linde
- 1920 Carl Auer von Welsbach
- 1924 Carl Bosch
- 1927 Oskar von Miller
- 1930 Hugo Junkers
- 1933 Wolfgang Gaede
- 1937 Fritz Todt
- 1941 Walther Bauersfeld
- 1952 Hermann Röchling
- 1956 Jonathan Zenneck
- 1960 Otto Bayer , Walter Reppe , Karl Ziegler
- 1964 Fritz Leonhardt , Walter Schottky , Konrad Zuse
- 1968 Karl Küpfmüller , Joachim Siegfried Meurer
- 1972 Ludwig Bölkow , Karl Winnacker
- 1975 Wernher von Braun , Walter Bruch
- 1978 Rudolf Hell
- 1981 Hans Scherenberg
- 1984 Fritz Peter Schäfer
- 1987 Rudolf Schulten
- 1990 Artur Fischer
- 1993 Eveline Gottzein
- 1996 Carl Adam Petri
- 1999 Dieter Oesterhelt
- 2002 Jörg Schlaich
- 2005 Berthold Leibinger
- 2008 Bernard Meyer
- 2011 Hermann Scholl , Manfred Fuchs
- 2015 Martin Herrenknecht
- 2018 Joachim Milberg , Hasso Plattner
Werner von Siemens Ring Foundation
The Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation was founded on December 13, 1916 on the occasion of Werner von Siemens' 100th birthday under the name Siemens-Ring-Stiftung . It is a foundation under civil law with legal capacity and is based in Berlin.
In 1964 the foundation was renamed from Siemens-Ring-Stiftung to the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation . Since then, the Siemens ring has been called the Werner von Siemens ring .
The management and personnel support of the foundation was carried out by the German Association of Technical and Scientific Associations (DVT) until mid-2016 .
Former German President Joachim Gauck is the foundation's patron.
The purpose of the foundation is to promote the natural sciences and technology (technical sciences) by fostering memory of significant achievements in these areas, in particular by teaching and encouraging the next generation in technology and science.
Board of Trustees
The Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation has a Board of Trustees made up of:
- the owners of the "Werner-von-Siemens-Ring"
- the President of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt ,
- the chairman of the German Association of Technical and Scientific Associations ,
- One nominated representative from each of the following technical-scientific associations:
- German Museum of Masterpieces of Science and Technology,
- Association of German Engineers ,
- Shipbuilding Society ,
- VDE Association of Electrical, Electronic and Information Technologies ,
- German Association of Gas and Water ,
- Society of German Chemists ,
- Association of German Ironworkers ,
- German Association of Architects and Engineers ,
- German Physical Society ,
- German Aerospace Society ,
- Society for Computer Science ,
- the President of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science,
- the President of the German Research Foundation ,
- the President of the Fraunhofer Society for the Promotion of Applied Research,
- the chairman of the Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft ,
- the President of the Federation of German Industries ,
- two professors of natural sciences or engineering to be elected by the Board of Trustees for five years each, one of whom is a member of the Technical University of Berlin,
- a member of the von Siemens family and
- a treasurer to be elected by the Board of Trustees for a five-year term.
According to the statutes, the executive chairman of the foundation board is the president of the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt, Joachim Ullrich .
Eveline Gottzein is currently the elected deputy chairwoman .
Jan Fischer-Wolfarth is a special representative of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation.
Promotion of young talent
The Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation honors talented young scientists and engineers and supports them in developing and implementing their own thematic events to promote technical sciences.
The Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation publishes the research contributions of the young scientists. The contributions deal with current research work in a wide variety of technical-scientific disciplines.
- Dieter Kind, Walter Mühe: Natural scientist and designer of technology. The bearers of the Werner-von-Siemens-Ring and their achievements for science and technology. VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf 1989, ISBN 3-18-400946-7 .
- Rainer Scharf: Brief portraits of the ring bearers , Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt , January 2018 ( online PDF 1.2 MB )
- Werner-von-Siemens-Ring Foundation (Ed.): Excellent Research Contributions 2013 - Fascination Technology and Natural Science VDE-Verlag, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-8007-3911-0 .
- ↑ Werner-von-Siemens-Ring for two bridge builders between industry and research. In: presseportal.de. Retrieved August 7, 2018 .