Wilhelm von Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (born April 1, 1692 in Philippsthal , † May 13, 1761 in Breda ) from the House of Hesse was paraged Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld .
Wilhelm was the third and youngest son and the seventh of eight children of the paraged Landgrave Philipp von Hessen-Philippsthal from his marriage to Katharina Amalie (1654-1736), daughter of Count Karl Otto von Solms-Laubach . In 1721, after the death of his father, who had assigned him Barchfeld and Herleshausen as Paragium in his will, Wilhelm founded the Hessian branch line Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld without sovereignty. From 1690 to 1732 he had the baroque Wilhelmsburg Palace, named after him, built in Barchfeld .
First in the Hessian and later in the Dutch military service, he became governor of Ypres in 1732 . One year after being appointed lieutenant general of the cavalry, in 1743 he led the Dutch troops in the War of the Austrian Succession . In 1744 he had to surrender to the French in Ypres. He fought in the Battle of Fontenoy and defended Bergen op Zoom and Mons . He became general of the cavalry in 1747 and died as governor of Breda .
Wilhelm married on October 31, 1724 in Hoym Princess Charlotte Wilhelmine (1704–1766), daughter of Prince Lebrecht von Anhalt-Bernburg-Hoym , with whom he had the following children:
- Charlotte (1725–1798) ⚭ 1765 Count Alfred August zu Ysenburg and Büdingen in Wächtersbach (1717–1782)
- Wilhelm (* / † 1726)
- Friedrich (1727–1777), Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld ⚭ 1772 Countess Sophie Henriette zu Salm-Grumbach (1740–1800)
- Philip (1728–1745)
- Johanna Charlotte (1730–1799)
- Caroline (1731–1808)
- Ulrike Eleonore (1732–1795) ⚭ 1755 Landgrave Wilhelm von Hessen-Philippsthal (1726–1810)
- Karl Wilhelm (1734–1764)
- Anna (1735–1785) ⚭ 1767 Count Adolf zur Lippe-Detmold (1732–1800), son of Simon Heinrich zur Lippe-Detmold
- Georg (1737-1740)
- Dorothea Marie (1738–1799) ⚭ 1764 Prince Johann Karl Ludwig zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg (1740–1816)
- Christian (1740-1750)
- Ludwig Friedrich (* / † 1741)
- Adolf (1743–1803), Landgrave of Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld ⚭ 1781 Princess Luise of Saxony-Meiningen (1752–1805)
- August (* / † 1745)
- Johann Samuelansch (Ed.): General Encyclopedia of Sciences and Arts in alphabetical order ... p. 297
- Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, Wilhelm Landgraf von. Hessian biography. (As of December 11, 2019). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Wilhelm of Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Landgrave of Hessen-Philippsthal-Barchfeld|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 1, 1692|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Philippsthal (Werra)|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 13, 1761|
|Place of death||Breda|