Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius of Tilenau
Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau (born July 17, 1769 in Mühlhausen / Thuringia ; † May 17, 1857 there ) was a natural scientist and doctor, draftsman and engraver. He was Imperial Councilor in Saint Petersburg , Knight of the Russian Order of Vladimir and Knight of the French Legion of Honor .
Live and act
Tilesius studied natural sciences and medicine at the University of Leipzig from 1790 and at the same time took drawing lessons from Adam Friedrich Oeser at the Art Academy in Pleißenburg. He passed the master's examination in the arts in 1795, received his doctorate in philosophy in 1797, and a doctorate in medicine in 1801. In 1795/96 he accompanied the count and natural scientist Johann Centurius von Hoffmannsegg on a boat trip to Portugal . On the trip to Portugal he dealt in particular with marine animals. He published the results in several papers. They later served him as a reference for participating in the circumnavigation. After unsuccessful applications in Leipzig, he was appointed professor at Moscow University in 1803.
He took part as a ship's doctor, marine zoologist and expedition draftsman on the frigate Nadeschda in the first Russian circumnavigation of the world 1803-1806 under Adam Johann von Krusenstern . His illustrated book on the expedition report was published in 1814.
In 1802 he was accepted as a member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt . In 1808 he was accepted as a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . On June 25, 1812, he became a corresponding member of the Royal Prussian Academy of Sciences in Berlin. In 1820 he became a member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina .
Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau was the first to describe several animal and plant species, including a. he described three types of shellfish , the red king crab and a medusa. A mountain cone on the north coast of Honshū was named by Krusenstern Pik Tilesius . The 1625 m high mountain bears the Japanese name Iwaki . He remained in the service of the Tsar in Saint Petersburg until 1814 and produced the printer's copy of Krusenstern's travelogue. During that time he also took care of converting his drawings into engravings.
On May 12, 1807 he married Olympia Clementine von Witzky. After his young wife separated from him in 1808, Tilesius decided to return to his hometown Mühlhausen in 1809. There he was able to leave his son Adolf in the care of his grandmother and give him an appropriate education. Until 1822 he lived on the pension that Tsar Alexander had granted him. It was not until 1822 that he started working again as a draftsman and book illustrator. From the summer semester of 1827 to the winter semester of 1832 he finally taught, with a few semesters interruption, at the University of Leipzig. Only after his death in 1857 did he gain fame and recognition in his hometown and coined the family name that is well known in the city. The local grammar school is named after him Tilesius grammar school .
His estate, which is in the possession of the University of Leipzig, is made accessible again today.
- 1799: "Addendum to the correction of individual views in the painting of Lisbon and individual fragments of an eyewitness to the knowledge of this capital". In: Joseph-Barthélémy-François Carrère , Latest painting from Lisbon . From the Franz. With an appendix by W. Tilesius. Leipzig, Karl Wilhelm Küchl (pp. 321-504).
- 1799: Johann Christian ROSENMÜLLER / Wilhelm Gottlieb TILESIUS (eds.), Description of strange caves. A contribution to the physical history of the earth . Leipzig, Breitkopf and Härtel.
- 1800: List and identification of strange sea products
- 1800: "On the state of the art of dissection in Portugal". In: Johann Christian ROSENMÜLLER / Heinrich F. ISENFLAMM (ed.), Contributions to the art of dissection . Vol. 1, Issue 3. Leipzig, Tauchnitz (pp. 383-435).
- 1802: About the so-called sea mice
- 1802: Yearbook of Natural History for the display and examination of new discoveries and observations and for the inclusion of such contributions, which are intended directly to expand and correct the entire natural history . Vol. 1. Leipzig, Karl Wilhelm Küchl.
- 1813: Natural historical fruits of the first Russian circumnavigation
- 1826: Natural history treatises and explanations, especially regarding petrefacts , Kassel 1826
- Wilhelm Hess : Tilesius, Wilhelm Gottfried . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 38, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1894, p. 298 f.
- Jürgen Kiefer : On the 150th anniversary of the death of the doctor and naturalist Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau (1769–1857). In: Yearbook of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt . 2007, pp. 34-36 ( PDF ).
- Katharina Schendel: With a goose quill and squid. Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau's stay in Japan during the first Russian circumnavigation of the world 1803–1806 as an example of knowledge construction and knowledge diffusion in the 19th century (= ERGA: Series on the History of Asia. Vol. 13). Iudicium, Munich 2015.
- Andreas W. Daum: German Naturalists in the Pacific around 1800. Entanglement, Autonomy, and a Transnational Culture of Expertise. In: Hartmut Berghoff, Frank Biess, Ulrike Strasser (eds.): Explorations and Entanglements: Germans in Pacific Worlds from the Early Modern Period to World War I. Berghahn Books, New York 2019, pp. 79-102 (English).
- Literature by and about Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau in the catalog of the German National Library
- Overview of the courses of Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau at the University of Leipzig (summer semester 1827 to winter semester 1832)
- Andreas W. Daum: German Naturalists in the Pacific around 1800. Entanglement, Autonomy, and a Transnational Culture of Expertise . In: Hartmut Berghoff, Frank Biess, Ulrike Strasser (ed.): Exploration and entanglements: Germans in Pacific Worlds from the Early Modern Period to World War I . Berghahn, New York 2019, p. 86 f., 89, 93 f .
- Commemorative calendar of the Erfurt Academy ( Memento of the original from March 30, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Member by Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Gottfried Tilesius von Tilenau (with picture) at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences , accessed on May 31, 2016.
- Wilhelm Gottlob Tilesius von Tilenau. Members of the predecessor academies. Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities , accessed on June 1, 2016 .
- Member by Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius von Tilenau at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on May 31, 2016.
|SURNAME||Tilenau, Wilhelm Gottlieb Tilesius from|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physician, naturalist, draftsman and engraver|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 17, 1769|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mühlhausen / Thuringia|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 17, 1857|
|Place of death||Mühlhausen / Thuringia|