Wilhelm Lübke - son of elementary school teacher Peter Lübke and his wife Wilhelmine Enckhaus - had six younger siblings. He grew up with his parents in the Dominican monastery near the provost church . Lübke attended elementary school and high school. Inspired by the art treasures in the Dortmund churches, he dealt with art history from an early age. Around 1845 he anonymously published three pamphlets at CL Kruger , with the proceeds of which he partly financed his studies. From 1845 he studied first in Bonn, from 1846 then in Berlin classical philology. In 1845 he became a member of the Fridericia Bonn fraternity . In 1848 he acquired the “ Facultas docendi ” and became a candidate for teaching at the Friedrich-Werderscher Gymnasium in Berlin. After the probationary year, he turned down a permanent position in Prenzlau and devoted himself entirely to art history. He got to know Jacob Burckhardt and Franz Theodor Kugler and went on hikes to art monuments, mostly together with Hermann Kestner . Sometimes he also accompanied Theodor Fontane on his hikes through the Mark Brandenburg . In addition, he worked for the "Deutsche Kunstblatt" by Friedrich Eggers and the Spenersche Zeitung , with which he became known to the public and was finally commissioned by Wilhelm Junkmann to work on an art history of the Middle Ages in Westphalia. In 1853 he published Medieval Art in Westphalia , 1855 History of Architecture . Two years later he applied to the Berlin Bauakademie and was accepted as a teacher of art history.
He married Mathilde Eichler, widowed Bennewitz, on December 30, 1857.
In 1859 he was offered a position at the Swiss Federal Polytechnic in Zurich , which he initially turned down. In 1861, however, he became Burckhardt's successor as professor at the chair for art history. Five years later he moved to the Stuttgart Polytechnic , where he taught until 1885. Towards the end, however, there were quarrels, accusations and attacks, so that he switched to the Polytechnic Karlsruhe , where he taught until his death. From 1880 he was director of the Kunsthalle in Karlsruhe. In 1870 he was accepted as a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences .
His wife died in 1892 and he remarried, this time a relative of his wife. Wilhelm Lübke died in Karlsruhe on April 5 of the following year. He was buried there too.
- May 8, 1876 Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Grand Ducal Hessian Order of Merit of Philip the Magnanimous
- In 1893, a memorial created by the sculptor Heinrich Weltring was erected for him in Karlsruhe , which today stands on the grounds of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.
- Preschool for the history of church architecture in the Middle Ages . Krüger, Dortmund 1852.
- Medieval art in Westphalia. Depicted according to the existing monuments . Weigel, Leipzig 1853.
- History of architecture. From the oldest times to the present . Graul, Leipzig 1855.
- Monuments of art . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1858.
- The art of the present . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1859.
- Art history floor plan . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1860.
- Schinkel's relationship to church building . Ernst & Korn, Berlin 1860.
- The dance of death in the Marienkirche in Berlin . Riegel, Berlin 1861.
- Outline of the history of architecture . Seaman, Essen 1861.
- The women in art history . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1862.
- History of sculpture from the earliest times to the present . Seemann, Leipzig 1863.
- The architectural style of antiquity . Seemann, Leipzig 1867.
- with Jacob Burckhardt : History of modern architecture . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1868.
- The architectural style of the Middle Ages . Seemann, Leipzig 1868.
- The architectural style of the modern age . Seemann, Leipzig 1868.
- History of the Renaissance of France . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1868.
- Art history studies . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1869.
- About art care . Seemann, Stuttgart 1872.
- Modern French art . Stuttgart 1872.
- History of the German Renaissance . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1872.
- History of Italian painting from the 4th to the 16th century . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1878.
- Rafael's life and work . Gutbier, Dresden 1882.
- Works of art and artists . Schottländer , Breslau 1886.
- Old and new . Schottländer, Breslau 1890.
- History of German art from the earliest times to the present . Ebner & Seubert, Stuttgart 1890.
- Life memories . Fontane, Berlin 1891.
- Peter Betthausen , Peter H. Feist , Christiane Fork, Karin Rührdanz , Jürgen Zimmer (eds.): Metzler-Kunsthistoriker-Lexikon . Metzler, Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-476-02183-1 , p. 249 ff .
- Carl von Lemcke: Lübke, Wilhelm . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 52, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1906, pp. 106-111.
- Thomas Lersch: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 15, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1987, ISBN 3-428-00196-6 , pp. 444-446 ( version ). In:
- Ludwig Rohling: Wilhelm Lübke . In: Robert Stupperich (Ed.): Westfälische Lebensbilder . tape 6 . Aschendorff, Münster 1957, p. 147 ff .
- Helge Dvorak: Biographical Lexicon of the German Burschenschaft. Volume II: Artists. Winter, Heidelberg 2018, ISBN 978-3-8253-6813-5 , pp. 469–471.
- Alexandra Axtmann and Ulrike Gawlik: Wilhelm Lübke (1826–1893). Aspects of his life and work. ( Materials on building research and building history , vol. 25). KIT Scientific Publishing, Karlsruhe 2019. ISBN 978-3-7315-0860-1
- Nikolaus Meier: Wilhelm Lübke, Jacob Burckhardt and the architecture of the Renaissance In: Basler Zeitschrift für Geschichte und Altertumskunde, Vol. 85, 1985, pp. 151–212
- Curriculum vitae in the Department of Building and Urban History at the Technical University of Berlin
- Wilhelm Lübke at arthistoricum.net - the context of the history of science and digitized works in the "History of Art History" portal
- Literature by and about Wilhelm Lübke in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Wilhelm Lübke in the German Digital Library
- Wilhelm Lübke's estate on the Baden State Library's website
- Franz Richarz: List of members of the Fridericia fraternity in Bonn (February 18, 1843 to autumn 1847) as well as the Arminia fraternity in Bonn (1847 to 1849) and the fraternity association Germania in Bonn (1843 to 1849). Bonn 1894, p. 13.
- Karl Adolf Wenzelaus Cornelius : Wilhelm von Lübke (obituary) . In: Session reports of the philosophical-philological and historical classes of the KB Academy of Sciences in Munich . Year 1894, p. 155–156 ( online [PDF; accessed March 9, 2017]).
- Hans-Werner Rohmann: Lübke, Wilhelm . In: Hans Bohrmann (Ed.): Biographies of important Dortmunders. People in, from and for Dortmund . tape 1 . Ruhfus, Dortmund 1994, p. 86 ff .
- Court and State Manual of the Grand Duchy of Hesse 1878, p. 112.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 17, 1826|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dortmund|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 5, 1893|
|Place of death||Karlsruhe|