William A. Klemperer
Klemperer attended New Rochelle High School in New Rochelle and in 1944 - on his 17th birthday - was a soldier in the United States Navy Air Corps. After World War II , he enrolled at Harvard College in 1946 , where he earned a bachelor's degree in chemistry in 1950 . In 1954, Klemperer earned a Ph.D. from George C. Pimentel at the University of California, Berkeley. in physical chemistry . He then went back as a lecturer at Harvard University , where he rose rapidly and was given a full professorship in 1965. Klemperer stayed at Harvard - only interrupted by a sabbatical year 1968/1969 in Cambridge , England (inter alia with Dennis Sciama ), a position as deputy director for Mathematical and Physical Sciences at the National Science Foundation in Washington, DC (1979-1981) and one Sabbath semester at the University of California, Berkeley (1998) - until his retirement in 2002.
Klemperer had been married to Elizabeth Cole since 1949 and the couple had three children.
Klemperer dealt with molecular structures , energy transfer and intermolecular forces , in particular using spectroscopic methods. He carried out fundamental work on models of molecule formation and detection within interstellar matter and is considered a pioneer of cosmochemistry .
- 1958 Sloan Research Fellow
- 1963 member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1969 member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1980 Irving Langmuir Award
- 1994 Peter Debye Award
- 1995 Faraday Lecture and Prize
- 1996 Honorary Doctorate from the University of Chicago
- Honorary Citizen of Toulouse
- William Klemperer and working group at Harvard University (harvard.edu)
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: Autobiographical Notes (PDF, 56 kB, pp. 4–5) at the Pinhead Institute (pinheadinstitute.org), a facility of the Smithsonian Institution
- William Klemperer. National Academy of Sciences , accessed November 11, 2017 .
- data, publications and academic family tree of William Klemperer at academictree.org, accessed on February 24, 2018.
- Past Fellows. Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, accessed June 4, 2019 .
- Book of Members 1780 – present (PDF, 445 kB) at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (amacad.org); Retrieved May 8, 2013
- William Klemperer. In: nasonline.org. Retrieved March 26, 2018 .
- Irving Langmuir Award in Chemical Physics - American Chemical Society. In: acs.org. Accessed March 26, 2018 .
- Peter Debye Award in Physical Chemistry - American Chemical Society. In: acs.org. Accessed March 26, 2018 .
- Faraday Lectureship Prize - Previous winners at the Royal Society of Chemistry (rsc.org); Retrieved May 8, 2013
|SURNAME||Klemperer, William A.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Klemperer, William Aloys (full name); Klemperer, William; Klemperer, Bill|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 6, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th November 2017|